Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » SpeedHack 2011 is coming soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
SpeedHack 2011 is coming soon
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The prize isn't a million dollars so it doesn't really matter if your entry is disqualified anyway. :P Have some fun and maybe create something to be proud of.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Two or so of my TINS entries were disqualified :( It just hurts anyway, doesn't matter that it doesn't matter :P

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Elias said:

Two or so of my TINS entries were disqualified :( It just hurts anyway, doesn't matter that it doesn't matter :P

Well it wouldn't have hurt if you had joined knowing they would be disqualified. :P To think you can compete and be disqualified would suck, but to participate anyway knowing that your entry was invalid would be pretty harmless.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

TINS is not SpeedHack Elias ;-p X-D

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

One sec, you say the framework has to be published? Okay, posted onto my website xD.

aniquilator
Member #9,841
May 2008

Yeah, I think you are right.. But almost half of the size of my framework source is because of the comments. XD
Anyway, I will just use the parts I will really need. :D
So there'll be no problem at all.

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

I will just use the parts I will really need.

Same here. I have audio coded in but if I don't get time to make any audio then it's coming out.

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Interesting that last night, I decided to post my 'framework' on Bitbucket. (it's really nothing more than some template code and not a framework)

BTW, as Mercurial doesn't keep tabs on empty directories, the obj directory needed for the makefile isn't there, and I see nothing in the makefile about creating it.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I have a framework, but I'm including it with my game's source (and labeling it in my readme as such) 8-). I don't need to exploit the rules to finish my entry :P.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

There's no rule that you have to post your "framework" or secret library ahead of time. If your library is a legitimate entity by itself, you don't have to include it with the entry.

People will know if you are trying to cheat the system and will humiliate you accordingly.

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

The framework is part of the source so it will all be included anyway's :D

I'm still hyped up for it :D Hurry up and be Friday 8-)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

FAQ said:

Can I reuse code for the Speedhack?

Sure. Code reuse is a essential hacking skill. You can use any code that you are legally able to do so (your own, GPLed, giftware, public domain or any other Free Software licence).

I would ask you to indicate what changes that have been made to the code, so that I (and others) can judge your hack on its merits.

BTW, as Mercurial doesn't keep tabs on empty directories, the obj directory needed for the makefile isn't there, and I see nothing in the makefile about creating it.

I always find it weird when output directories like that are assumed existing by the build system... You're the build system! You make it!

I usually add ${BINDIR}, ${LIBDIR}, and ${OBJDIR} targets to my Makefiles. :D You're able to modify the provided Makefile, AFAIK. As long as the only thing people need to do to build your game is run make it doesn't really matter. Alternatively,...

mkdir obj &&
        /bin/echo -n > obj/EMPTY &&
        hg add obj/EMPTY &&
        hg commit -m "Adding EMPTY file so obj dir is created by Mercurial."

Is this year's competition officially using Mercurial or is that just for your own personal use? :-/

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

That'll be his personal thing :P

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I'm heading for the "Well, at least one of the rules was yours" award.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Quote:

Sure. Code reuse is a essential hacking skill. You can use any code that you are legally able to do so

TINS is not SpeedHack Elias

Ah, yes, I confused it with the TINS rules (which require to publish what you use at least 2 weeks earlier). Anyway, the TINS rule which got me disqualified was failing to vote on all other entries :/

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Voting is also mandatory for the SH if you want to get more than an "honorable mention" in any of the categories. But all you have to do is rank at least one game in each of the categories. You don't have to play them all, nor should you feel compelled to.

Part of winning is making a game that looks good (i.e., more apt to try it out) and is easy to get up and running.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I'm just using Mercurial because it's my SCM of choice.

Plus I'm using MSVC, it doesn't use that makefile, so yea, being too lazy to make sure the makefile works.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I had planned on publishing my framework prior to the compo, but the parts I'll be using are small enough that I can just include it in the source.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I might end up joining anyhow. I haven't used Allegro in ages, so I'll probably stick with 4.x though. Heck, I haven't even worked on programming a game in ages, though I do deal with graphical visualizations all day at work, so at least I'm not totally rusty (not that my .NET/Direct2D/DirectWrite/internal viz library experience translates back to Allegro very well :P).

_Kronk_
Member #12,347
November 2010

I'm completely green to all this, but I got my game framework(if you can call it that) working on my machine using the template. Would someone mind building it and letting me know how it works? It's allegro 4 code. I'm going out of town tonight (no computer access until I get back)and I want to be sure I'll be ready to go when I get back Friday night.

Attachment: http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/604487

--------------------------------------------------
"If only our dreams were fires to ignite, then we could let the whole world burn" -Emery

My blog: http://joshuadover.tumblr.com

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Aww, I was trying to make some space but it's impossible I'm working all days until Saturday, I thought these SH competitions were on weekends, I would have just the Sunday but I would try it. :'(

Edit:

Wait... I didn't read the 1 in the web page, I thought there were just 21 hours... Damn I shouldn't zoom up the browser so much... So it's Saturday and Sunday, right?.

Edit2:

... After voting for 50 rules I know that I'm able to accomplish just the 10% from those that I saw in a weekend, let a lone just one day... I'm out.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Bah, I can't let Speedhack go by without trying. Is 4.2 still allowed?

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Is 4.2 still allowed?

As long as it is source compatible with 4.4.

aniquilator
Member #9,841
May 2008

I have a last question ( I think XD ), Lets say I will use lua scripts in my game, or even a xml lib. I will have to include its source as well? or its lib? Thanks in advance... again! kkkk

Go to: