Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Ordered a new PC

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Ordered a new PC
Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

I have ordered a new PC, Well second hand :D. Link

I'm getting it for a total of £353.43 and buying a second hand monitor (21.5 inch) at £93.10.

I told them in the store that I really need it in 7 days so that I have a day to get everything ready on there for the competition 8-). Fingers crossed now that they can get it to me in time :P

Yes, I know its an Acer but that's the only make they sell xD

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Quote:

I have ordered a new PC, Well second hand :D. Link
I'm getting it for a total of £353.43

Unless that thing is sporting some serious graphics hardware (hard to tell without seeing some actual specifications), that's about what it should cost new. With peripherals included.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Yea I know, I think the graphics are nVidia on board so I will be switching that to a PCI-E or APG depending on what the board takes. The reason they still charge rather high is because it's weekly payments and the total I given you was including the VAT.

If I was to just walk in and buy one the prices would have been £74.20 for the monitor and £279.08 for the Desktop.

Edit: However I don't have the money xD Going to have to stick with £16.10 a fortnight.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

AGP is practically obsolete, the best boards you can get were top end 8-10 years ago and cost as much as a PCI-E board that was top end 3 or 4 years ago.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Yea, I personally think it will be a PCE-E board but I ain't going to buy a new Graphics card until I know for sure :P

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Seeing a 1TB hard drive, most likely PCI-E, but best to wait to make sure, like you said.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

I ordered a new old PC too. :D Not second-hand, but just old parts. First shipment came in today, expecting second shipment tomorrow. Only took 5 days, even while paying via bank-transfer. It was the one I mentioned in another thread (..?), only with the CPU upgraded to a Athlon X3. Only cost me 3 Euro's more. My brother will probably hook me up with his legal copy[1] of Windows 7.
There's this Dutch site Tweakers.net. It's great for getting good deals... when you live in the Netherlands.
By the way, I had done a search for AGP cards, and if you are going to buy one, it's going to be old. Well, I only searched one site and then decided it would be to much trouble and costs :P

References

1. I mean "copy" as in the counter for softwares sold. This of-course is illegal anyway. :P
Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

When it comes to getting a graphics card I should be able to pick up a decent cheap one on http://www.ebuyer.com/

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

I recently (as in a few days ago) got a Phenom II X6 (yes, six cores, not that I'm gonna use all of that computing power... yet :P), 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM and a new motherboard to support all of that.

I'm planning on buying a Radeon HD6870 Asus 1024MB GDDR5. Any thoughts? I think it's pretty cheap for its quality (I checked a couple of benchmarks, and it gets a good score overall, and good FPS in games).

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Ouch, What are you planning to run on that beast xD

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

CursedTyrant: If you can find a 6950/6970 for not much more than that 6870, I'd suggest getting one. The performance should be quite a bit better.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Mostly Skyrim. :P Also, other new games. I'm kind of tired with not being able to play on maximum details. I want my games to look pretty. >:(

That, and I won't have to upgrade for a year or two.

EDIT: Hmm, I can probably find a 6950 that's only a bit more expensive. Which one though? A HiS Radeon Hd6950 2GB PCI-E or an Asus Radeon HD6950 2GB DDR5 256bit PCI-E? I have an Asus motherboard, would that make a difference?

And yes, I want 2GBs of VRAM, because sooner or later (probably sooner) games will have ultra high quality textures, and that'll be needed. :P

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

And yes, I want 2GBs of VRAM, because sooner or later (probably sooner) games will have ultra high quality textures, and that'll be needed.

That's my motto :P Always keep your PC a better specification than needed so that when a new game comes out you can jump right into buying then playing it.

I don't really have time to play games these days but I do like to play some oldies like CS:S HL2 ect.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I have an Asus motherboard, would that make a difference?

Nope.

The Sapphire's are supposed to be the best, or so I've heard. But I don't think it really matters. Just find one in your budget with the best rating.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

And make sure it's got at least 3 or 4 SATA ports!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

The Sapphire's are supposed to be the best, or so I've heard.

I've had ABit mobos since I started building computers. No reason I suppose, but my understanding is that they're good boards. I'd say the mobo is "good" but I don't have anything to compare it too. It has been kind of a pain in the ass in some regards, but I suppose that's just the nature of mobos in general.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I recently (as in a few days ago) got a Phenom II X6 (yes, six cores, not that I'm gonna use all of that computing power... yet :P), 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM and a new motherboard to support all of that.

Copycat! :D

I'm planning on buying a Radeon HD6870 Asus 1024MB GDDR5. Any thoughts? I think it's pretty cheap for its quality (I checked a couple of benchmarks, and it gets a good score overall, and good FPS in games).

Well, OK, that's a bit better than me. I settled for a 6850. :-/

/offtopic

/rant I brought it to j0rb's attention that my workstation was performing poorly and that it was slowing me down a lot. They seemed to agree that it was a problem and that it should be addressed. Today, I found out that instead they're buying my "supervisor" a new laptop (you know, so he can move around our one 20x15' room with it, which I expect will rarely be productive...) and just giving me 1 GB extra memory (with came out of his existing PC)... >:(

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

bam.epenis--; :(

Just wondering, does it make your epenis bigger if you have a modded out case laced with LED lights, or is that actually lame? Personally I think it's like over-compensating. ;D

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Unfortunately cases without all of that bling cost more than an equivalent one that has it.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Just wondering, does it make your epenis bigger if you have a modded out case laced with LED lights, or is that actually lame? Personally I think it's like over-compensating. ;D

Well I didn't buy the case for the LEDs. I bought it because it's spacious and sturdy. The LEDs are a bonus. :P It does make it look a bit more mysterious, but in practice I don't even notice them. I imagine it adds to the wander and magic, especially for the computer illiterates that see it. I wouldn't suggest anybody waste extra money on LEDs for their case, but if the case you want comes with LEDs then I also wouldn't let that stop you.

One annoyance is that I can't turn most of them off (short of cutting the wires, I guess) and they're all blue. Red is apparently the best color for darkness because the eyes apparently have to adjust less between darkness and red. I guess for other colors they have to adjust more and so I wonder if it makes it more strenuous in the dark. I haven't really been bothered nevertheless.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

got a Phenom II X6

I hope you realize you wasted your money and that you should have bought a quad-core with higher clock speeds :-*

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

bamccaig said:

Well I didn't buy the case for the LEDs.

Oh you have leds? I didn't know that. I was just asking arbitrarily. I painted my case matte black and am letting it get all scratched up and war-torn to show the underlying metal. It looks cool but it needs more scratches.

Quote:

I imagine it adds to the wander and magic, especially for the computer illiterates that see it.

Reminds me of a friend who came by and saw my computer with the case open:

Her: "Oh no! what's wrong?"
Me: "... wrong?" ???

--

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Quote:

Cat: "mew mew! mew mew?"
Me: "... wrong?"

Fixed.

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I've had ABit mobos since I started building computers. No reason I suppose, but my understanding is that they're good boards. I'd say the mobo is "good" but I don't have anything to compare it too. It has been kind of a pain in the ass in some regards, but I suppose that's just the nature of mobos in general.

I was talking Radeon HD graphics cards. Right now I'm pretty disilusioned by most of the motherboard makers. I've had several asus boards suck or die, my Gigabyte boards came with SHITTY BIOSs... My next board may be an MSI.

--

1   2   3 

Go to: