Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Ordered a new PC

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Ordered a new PC
furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

I'm actually quite satisfied with my Foxconn. It allows me to change the clock speed in the range of 2.0 - 2.9 GHz.

But I guess when you compare it to the nVidia 6150SE, copper coated dog crap might seem like a nice mobo. ;D

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

You were supposed to be like all the other sheep and buy an ipad!

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

I'm sure i've purchased some product where the company's employees were abused, but i wouldnt know.

furinkan said:

I'm actually quite satisfied with my Foxconn.

But I do know that Foxconn drives their employee to suicide, so I try to avoid stuff branded directly with the name Foxconn.

Then again, I own an xbox, I think some of its parts were manufactured by foxconn

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

1) I have an MSI MB and it seems good enough, though I'm not sure if I could tell the difference between a low quality MB and a high quality one. It has a cool BIOS though with mouse support and a GUI :)
2) I have a 6950 and I'm displeased. Not at its performance - it runs game quite well; But the drivers suck balls. They often crash after suspending my computer or sometimes after playing a game or a fullscreen flash video... [1]

References

1. crashing BTW means that the screen goes crazy for several seconds and then I get a little windows notification that the drivers have crashed and then restarted, sometimes this happens three times in a row until it gets things right, once it even BSODed/defenestrated me :(
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

But I do know that Foxconn drives their employee to suicide, so I try to avoid stuff branded directly with the name Foxconn.

Foxconn has their hands in nearly every electronic product imaginable. One of the 100 ton behemoths. Jut because it doesn't say Foxconn on the box, doesn't mean it wasn't made there. Apple, Microsoft, Nintendo, Dell, RIM, Palm (now HP), and many others either use, or have used Foxconn.

But they did start working on that situation. They have on site counsellors, pay was increased fairly significantly, as were benefits. Some other stuff was changed, like they put up "nets" and fences to stop people from jumping off the buildings.

2) I have a 6950 and I'm displeased. Not at its performance - it runs game quite well; But the drivers suck balls. They often crash after suspending my computer or sometimes after playing a game or a fullscreen flash video...

Even on windows eh? The 69xx series is a newer breed of gpu, but I'd have thought they'd have that licked by now.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Some other stuff was changed, like they put up "nets" and fences to stop people from jumping off the buildings.

A quick fix. ;D

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

A quick fix.

It does take time for the other methods to actually make any kind of real change. If we're talking depressed people, I was (have been, still am sorta) stuck that way for two decades. Not a nice place to be in, and it isn't easy to crawl back out of. Especially if you've been taught that working less than 16 hours a day is a sin :-x

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

I hope you realize you wasted your money and that you should have bought a quad-core with higher clock speeds :-*

Hey, it was only slightly more expensive than a quad core, so why the hell not? :P

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

This thread has taken an interesting turn :D

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Hey, it was only slightly more expensive than a quad core, so why the hell not?

He could be wrong too, if you happen to need a lot of cores, for say, things like parallel compile jobs, or running a lot of cpu hungry apps, its quite useful. I sometimes don't quite have enough power with my dual core 2.53Ghz laptop, but my slower (2.4Ghz) quadcore desktop, and quadcore media box (2.2Ghz) are just fine.

--

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Hey, it was only slightly more expensive than a quad core, so why the hell not?

I just mean primarily for gaming. If you're doing other things that could use that extra horsepower, then more power to ya!

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I have ordered a new PC, Well second hand

You're buying a PC from a weekly payment shop :o

You'll be paying 400% interest or something stupid like that.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

I know but I need one asap and don't have the money to go and buy one so it's going to have to be weekly :/

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

Desmond, the most cost-effective buy might have been only a mobo, with integrated graphics. But having a complete new system is certainly nice. I hope you get it delivered soon.
My parts came in today. :D

I also bought a new case, even though in theory I could have used an old one. Apparently I was one SATA power cable short, so I'm going to use a connection+power cable I had lying around... and which I apparently bought for 15 Euro's. It's hard to not get confused between Euro's and guilders with 200% inflation. I'll tell you, back in my days you could buy ...:-X

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

I have a 6950 and I'm displeased. Not at its performance - it runs game quite well; But the drivers suck balls.

Indeed. I also have a 6950 and I'm very dissapointed with the drivers. Being used to nvidia, ATI drivers are way behind them. Certain OpenGL games make the drivers freeze the computer (it's a known bug, already some months old), OpenCL + playing a video (including Youtube) freezes the computer too (alwo known bug, only affecting 69xx GPUs, but has been there since launch). It took them several months to solve the mouse lag on the right upper corner of the screen (I wonder how their code looks like to have that kind of bug ::)). To mention some. I'm quite annoyed that the driver setup program has adds :-X.

I'd really regret buying it if it wasn't for bitcoin mining (not being able to watch a video at the same time, of course ::)).

</rant>

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Hmm, driver problems could be an issue (though probably not). I'm still at the stage of trying to find out which graphics card would be the best choice for the money, and I'm wondering: would a GeForce 560 Ti 1GB be better than a Radeon HD 6870 1GB? The cost is about the same at the moment.

Radeon HD 6870 1GB seems to have faster shaders and looks to be generally better overall. Any thoughts?

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Tom Hardware says they're about the same level.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

From what I've seen, the 560 Ti is generally faster, and it's closer to an HD 6950, even outperforming it in some games (there are a few exceptions where the 6870 is faster, though). Add tessellation and then the 560 outperforms with a good margin even the HD 6970.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Watch out though, if you want to get into integer number crunching like what bitcoin mining does, stay away from GeForce cards. They suck at it. But they are great for games, of course so are the Radeon HD 5[89]x0, and 6[89]x0 series.

--

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Radeon HD 5[89]x0, and 6[89]x0 series.

See? I don't get it, why it's HD 5[89]x0 and 6[89]x0? shouldn't be 5[89]X0, 5[90]x1, 5[91]x0, etc...? What is wrong with people? ;D

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

weapon_S said:

Desmond, the most cost-effective buy might have been only a mobo, with integrated graphics. But having a complete new system is certainly nice. I hope you get it delivered soon.
My parts came in today.

I really needed a new system completely. This machine I am using is my development web server and that makes it slower to use. If I used parts from this to build a new machine then I loose this machine and it's needed.

I also have the printer installed on this machine and share it to the other computers in the house so that anyone can print off letters ect.

{"name":"604471","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/8\/88ceb97adaa0ebca82836e36e3825940.png","w":418,"h":478,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/8\/88ceb97adaa0ebca82836e36e3825940"}604471

It has 55GB HDD too xD Perfect for a development web server and print server when running Windows XP.

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

I keep thinking "I really aught to actually buy something with all the money I'm earning", but my PC is already powerful enough and I don't really want anything else.

I guess I'll just keep saving for a house. :P

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

I keep thinking "I really aught to actually buy something with all the money I'm earning"

It's spreading! :o

And while I'm at it:

If I used parts from this to build a new machine then I loose this machine and it's needed.

Loose it upon whom? :P

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

Matthew really aught to turn that feature on for my account too. :P

1   2   3 

Go to: