Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » Anyone might like game similiar to SimEarth?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Anyone might like game similiar to SimEarth?
bartexsz
Member #12,822
May 2011

What do you think about it ?? I'm working on remake of that game(mainly for education purposes). I want to make gameplay more complicated.

If you don't know that game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SimEarth

I'm especially basing on snes version.(I don't know if there were any differences between versions.)

Graphic will be 2d, tile based.
I'm not planning mouse support, cause i don't know any fine(for me) method to deal with it.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Any WIP screenshots?

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

bartexsz
Member #12,822
May 2011

Sorry, not so far. I'm using very simple graphic to check what works, when some gameplay functions will be implemented i will talk with myclassmate to do graphic.

For now i have full world structure, menu and world scrolling.

I will probably today start implementing dependecies on natural environment.

EDIT: ok first screenshot in attachment

EDIT2: Second screenshot

How to show image from attachment in post?

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Looks good so far 8-).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

That's going to be the final resolution (1280 x 800)?. I was doing my game at that resolution and I found out that is very incompatible when you wan to display the game in fullscreen, I mean, most of monitors don't accept it... I don't know if I was missing something. Also remember the tiny laptops that are coming out on the market, those have a max resolution of 1024 X 768 more or less.

{"name":"mini+laptop.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/5\/15d8c6369b9b838058aeb063f84f32c3.jpg","w":396,"h":340,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/5\/15d8c6369b9b838058aeb063f84f32c3"}mini+laptop.jpg

They are becoming very popular. I played Angry Bird on one of those laptops and since the game doesn't have a "fixed resolution" even when the recommended resolution is 1024 X 768 I was able to played it at 1024 X 600. If you want to be sure your game is going to be "fullscreen compatible" on all platforms you should do the game 1024 X 768 but then you'll be leaving out the mini laptops, so you should do it 800 X 600, otherwise you don't have to do it with a "fixed resolution".

I think the best way to go is doing the game dynamic, and match each screen properly, more code yes, but it worth it.

bartexsz
Member #12,822
May 2011

Resolution will be changeable, default will be screen resolution. 1280x800 is only for my testing.

Go to: