Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » What to do with a spare "computer"

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
What to do with a spare "computer"
Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

I have a spare "computer" - a Wyse WinTerm, originally intended as a thin-client for RDP-client-like usage, but it's basically a complete x86 PC. Feature rundown:

• Single-core CPU, probably something 1 GHz-ish

• 512 MB SSD

• 3 USB ports

• working wireless card in the PC-card extension slot

• ethernet port

• completely silent (no moving parts)

I've successfully installed a basic debian system (without X11 - it might fit, but space is going to be extremely tight then); previously, it ran XP embedded (which is an abomination worse than XP proper). So now I'm wondering what to do with it. Some ideas:

• Hook up one or more external HDDs, and use it as a fileserver (for backups), replacing the current clamshell ibook solution (which is horribly noisy but otherwise works fine)

• Set up a bunch of local network services, like a DNS cache, VPN server, or even just a machine suitable for ssh tunneling from elsewhere

• Connect it to the stereo for internet radio and such, maybe even add a dvd drive so I can skip the "operation prohibited by disc" crap

• Hook up a KVM switch (just for the keyboard) and use it as an extra text terminal into my development machine at work

• Or anything else that comes to mind

Discuss! ;D

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

buy some wood and build a MAME cabinet.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

buy some wood and build a MAME cabinet.

Was going to suggest the exact same thing.

Get your hands on several thousand ROMs across several emus and build a cabinet for it.

I've always wanted to do this :'(

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Search for SETI.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Donate to me for my ever-dreamed-of project of building my own large cluster computer.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Blow it up and post the video on youtube ;D

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

What do you do with a spare computer? What do you do with a spare computer? What do you do with a spare computer? Throw it in the ocean. Yee ha up she rises. Yee ha up she rises. Yee ha up she rises. Early in the morning. ;D

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Phrasz
Member #10,091
August 2008

WAREZ Server...duh.

On a more serious note: VPN server.
That's your most promising option if you trust no one. Having the ability to properly encrypt your information and "browse from home" is more useful, and more likely to operate the best with your current configuration.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

If you can't think of anything you'd want to do with it yourself, give it to some bright young kid in the neighborhood who doesn't have one.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

If you can't think of anything you'd want to do with it yourself, give it to some bright young kid in the neighborhood who doesn't have one.

And introduce him/her to allegro.cc :P

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

It's not that I can't think of anything, it's more that I can't decide. :)

---
---

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

Can't decide? I'm not sure about the technical details, but couldn't you supposedly get at least three out of four possibilities at once? F.I. Fileserver-Mediaplayer-text terminal?
(Unless you're planning on using that all at once :-X )

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I was going to suggest turning it into a NAS, but I like the MAME cabinet idea better ;D

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

The text terminal only really makes sense at work, because at home, I'm perfectly happy with what I have.
I could certainly combine fileserver + VPN/ssh server + media player. I think that's what it's going to boil down to.

---
---

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

What about http://www.mersenne.org/

I ran a machine 24/7 for three months in order to determine whether 2 to the power of some large exponent /* EDIT */ -1! was prime or not. ;D It wasn't as one would expect.

Go to: