Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Help getting a new GPU

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Help getting a new GPU
Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

So I played the first couple of levels in Portal 2 and want to get a new gfx card. It plays well at 800x600, but with mild settings and stutters a little just when the graphics start to get all pretty. I was also doing a project in After Effects and the refreshes started to get way too slow for to my liking, so I'm putting both those together as an excuse to justify getting a new card.

Right now, I have a GeForce GTX 8600 and want to make a leap up from there.

I'll be going to Best Buy to pick up whatever I end up getting, but I'm confused at all the millions of different number schemes out there (GTX, GTS, 8000 series, 400 series (which is better than the 8000)), and how significant if at all the increases in speed are. So I'm looking at the GTX 450 or a GTX 550 Ti, I don't know if there's a relevant difference. I also have the option to get a GeForce GT 240 for about half the price, but it sounds like a crappier card because the number is so much lower. :P

Any good advice?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I think it will be much cheaper to order one online and wait three days. But I don't shop at BestBuy, so I wouldn't know. 8-)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Regarding pricing: GTX 550 Ti at NewEgg. Around $150 +/- some depending on the brand.

Hard Rock
Member #1,547
September 2001

I'm assuming you want to stay with NVIDIA? In any case a list cards from highest performing to lowest with random prices found on newegg.
Mid Range
------------------------
GTX 560 - 240ish
ATI 6870 - 210
GTX 460 - 185 1GB or ATI 6850 - 175
GTX 460 - 150 768MB

Lower Mid Range
-------------------------
GTX 550 - 150
ATI 5770 - 110
GTS 450 - 115

I wouldn't get anything lower then what I listed for games, and anything faster will probably need you to upgrade your CPU to get the most out of it. The 450 and 550 are the equivelant of the 8600 you have for their respective generations with the 550 being much faster, but still much slower then the 460.

If I were you I'd get a cheap 460 since it's much faster then the 550 and about the same price.

Can you also post your CPU and PSU specs? It'll help determine what would work best.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Uh, so, basically the only number scheme that's correlated to performance is the price? So you're sayin go with the 460 cause it's faster and cheeper than the 550. Really? ... why is the 550 have a bigger number then?

{"name":"603960","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/e\/bec143347f5dfee462295b9dbf0d94c8.jpg","w":251,"h":218,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/e\/bec143347f5dfee462295b9dbf0d94c8"}603960

I have:

But I don't shop at BestBuy, so I wouldn't know. 8-)

Me neither. I always get online, but Portal 2 is an exception. ;)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

This ranking may be of help for comparing different models.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Uh, so, basically the only number scheme that's correlated to performance is the price

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Figure out a budget ($150, $200, $250, etc) and buy whatever card corresponds with it. :-[

Hard Rock
Member #1,547
September 2001

Uh, so, basically the only number scheme that's correlated to performance is the price? So you're sayin go with the 460 cause it's faster and cheeper than the 550. Really? ... why is the 550 have a bigger number then?

5xx is the newer architecture, basically it's a tweaked version of the 4xx hardware. Hence the higher number. However the 550 is a lower end mid range card, and the 460 a mid range, and an older generation mid range can be faster then a lower end new generation card. It's basically all marketing.

The 5xx will use less power to get the same performance as the 4xx. Looking at your specs, I think you can get away with a 460 but it might start straining your PSU a little. The 550 and 460 768mb use almost the same amount of power, the 5770 uses a lot less. Some numbers here:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4221/nvidias-gtx-550-ti-coming-up-short-at-150/16

I'd recommend using Anandtech's charts for comparing GPU performance (they have customizable graphs) as they are one of the more technically inclined tech sites around.

GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

Easiest way: find a card at the top end of your budget.

Second easiest way: look at some charts, find what you like, find that it doesn't fit in your budget, find something less. Repeat until you find what fits in your budget.

Third way: compare numbers yourself, especially using the processing power (GFLOPs).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units
Use similar method as in "second easiest way."

Note video cards you mentioned and their processing powers:
GeForce GTX 8600: 113 or 139 GFLOPs (depending on specifics)
GTX 450: 601 GFLOPs
GTX 550 Ti: 691 GFLOPs
GeForce GT 240: 386 GFLOPs

Also note that their prices are fairly proportional. The only thing that may make a difference is a sale.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

From the things I heard, ATis current generation beats Nvidia in the ~ <USD200 price range.

Append: GFlops aren't the thing to compare: you need real game test results.. FPS.

Append1:
Enjoy!

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

HD5770 looks promising, you can even get it with passive cooling.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

In my opinion passive cooling for a GPU should be avoided: these days OCing this stuff is almost vital, and you want a fan for that purpose..

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I have a fan leaning against the case to blow through some vent holes to cool my video card. The temp got to the middle of the range without the fan, but it smelled "hot" so I tried this. Maybe I should thread a couple of electrical zipties through the screw holes and the cooling vent holes...

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

type568 said:

In my opinion passive cooling for a GPU should be avoided: these days OCing this stuff is almost vital

... lolwut?

If it's one component in your computer that should be passively cooled, it's the graphics card. The fans they use for those are usually ridiculously loud.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

GameCreator nailed it.

Also, if you're investing in a new card, at least get one with DX11 and OpenGL 4.1 support.

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

gnolam said:

... lolwut?

You can add at 10-30% performance for free, literally. And while you're buying a gaming card and paying for it, that is typically worthy. It has nothing to do with OCing a CPU, & it's a lot simpler task.

Loud or silent.. That's up to the manufacturer. The fans can also be tweaked, and typically you can have them below the noise level an ear can hear while the GPU is idle. While it's running, oh well.. Hear the power :)

Append:
@decepto No idea what about OGL, but DX11 is supported by everything out since 2010(including 2010), I could be wrong but that's really not likely.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Oh! Right... this thread!

Ya know, I was just so busy playing Portal 2 in full res with all settings on max on my new card. :o:o:o8-)8-)8-)

I got the GTX 460 (thanks Hard Rock, good choice). The beast set me back $200, though. ( :-[ ) Maybe I'll return it after I'm done playing Portal 2 and just order the same thing online :P.

I'll be honest though, I don't think I've ever seen graphics this high res and smooth in my life. The 550 ti was like $260 or something, and the other stuff they had there was far below the 460 on that awesome list Dennis gave.

Seriously, though. All settings are on max and nary a stutter. :-X Thanks everybody. :)

Oh and by the way... the game Portal 2... wow.

--

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

My PS3 runs it fine. ???

I haven't played single player yet, but split screen co-op was good for the 5 hours I played at a friends house, then we got annoyed at a level we were having trouble with, and I had to get home to bed for work anyway.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I've been playing the single player on my PS3 and so far I'm very underwhelmed by the gameplay and graphics. >:(

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Haters gotta hate. :P

--

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

The 550 ti was like $260 or something

That price doesn't sound right. The 560 (which is a lot (60-80%) faster than the 550, and a bit faster than a GTX 470) should have that price, the 550 should be just around $150 :o.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

BAF said:

My PS3 runs it fine. ???

Except it's annoying using a controller and sitting so far away for a first person game. The controller thing is obvious and I notice it in every game. Playing a sequel to Portal on PS3 (when I played the original on PC) made me realize that I also felt more immersed on PC; perhaps in part to being nearer to the screen. Of course, I also find the ability to see portal outlines through walls rather immersion-breaking. I wish there was a configuration option to disable that. :-/ It is so far a pretty awesome game; though I think I somewhat agree with ML. It is so far a little bit underwhelming considering my excitement for it. Hopefully things get better. I guess I expected much more story instead of mostly test champers (so far). Not that I don't like test chambers, but it should have been relatively easy to create just more of those... I hope there's more.

I'm only so far so nobody spoil it for me, but my impression of the male voice towards the beginning of the game is that it might be human. At least, it doesn't sound anywhere near as artificial as they make GLaDOS' voice sound. If he does turn out to be another computer AI I will be upset for them making his voice so animated. I love the GLaDOS character for how witty it is combined with the usually monotone, computer-ized voice. :) Placeholders like "${subject name here}" help too. :)

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Haters gotta hate.

At what point does it become difficult?

So far it's been nothing but stupid things that a blind child could solve in a few seconds.

I'll have to try it on my PC too to see if the graphics are any better.

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Ah yes, Portal. The game where only the last level was interesting, until the Shodan rip-off appeared. sigh

I think whatever my next video card ends up being it will be passively cooled. Less noise is always a good thing, and I don't bother OCing any of my cards.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

1   2 

Go to: