Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » problems running examples

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
problems running examples
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I'm having trouble with a few of the example programs. I downloaded them from the allegro files page and put the dll that came with it in the examples folder.

ex_display_options.exe :
The first time I set a fullscreen display option it works fine, but on the second and all subsequent times I go to set a fullscreen display it goes back to the desktop showing a console window and a minimized 'Allegro' window. Every seven seconds or so after that a new minimized 'Allegro' window shows up, and this just keeps repeating. I have to kill the process with Task Manager.

ex_gldepth.exe :
Crashes almost instantly, saying 'ex_gldepth.exe has stopped working'. I click on the close program button and then a popup appears in the notification area saying "To help protect your computer Data Execution Prevention has closed ex_gldepth.exe".

ex_glext.exe :
Exact same behaviour as ex_gldepth.exe above.

ex_mouse_cursor.exe :
Opens two windows with the exact same contents and behaviour. Is this intentional?
Besides that, the 'Edit' cursor and the 'Precision' cursor both display abnormally - not all of the cursor is shown, and different parts of it are shown depending on where it is pointing.

ex_mouse_events.exe :
Everything seems to work normally, except for the 4th and 5th mouse buttons - It looks like they register a press, but they don't show up as being held down for some reason.

ex_opengl.exe :
Exact same behaviour as ex_gldepth.exe and ex_glext.exe as above.

ex_opengl_pixel_shader.exe :
See ex_opengl.exe, ex_gldepth.exe, and ex_glext.exe. Crash. Boom. DEP.

So, the common denominator is that my Vista laptop hates OpenGL for some reason. Help?

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Sorry I can't help directly, but for the benefit of others: Please post what kind of video card you have, exact OS version and service pack, and make sure you have installed the latest drivers for that video card.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Wow man!. I have just tested those examples in my machine and I have the exact same problems... :o

These are mines:

OS : Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit (without any service pack)
GRA: ATI Radeon 128 Mb (I don't know if it has the las drivers)
CPU: AMD Turion 64 X2 1.9 GHz
Ram: 2Gb

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

BillyBob said:

Please post what kind of video card you have, exact OS version and service pack, and make sure you have installed the latest drivers for that video card.

Right. Here you go.

GPU : Onboard ATI Radeon X1270
Catalyst® Control Center Version : 2007.0613.2249.38957

Date of only available version of VGA drivers from gateway.com :
07/07/2010

It's 110MB though, so it will take me a few days to download it, if their server lets me resume downloads part way through. Otherwise, there's no way I can update them.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Can you run the debug version of an opengl example and post the generated allegro.log?

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

It's 110MB

The irony is that the part you need is probably 5Mb, all the rest is crap trying to get you to spend money.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

110MB is nothing, whenever Apple decides to update one of their SDKs it's over 3GB to download :(

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

3GB SDK? Jeez, that's bloated. :P

I built ex_opengl in debug mode using the libraries for MinGW 4.5 from the Allegro files page :

mingw32-gcc -Wall -g -I%AL502INCDIR% -o $1.exe $1.c -L%AL502LNKDIR% -lallegro-5.0.2-monolith-mt-debug -lopengl32 -lglu32 -lgcc_eh -static-libgcc

and then ex_opengl ran fine. Same goes for ex_gldepth, ex_glext, and ex_opengl_pixel_shader.

I then recompiled all 4 of the OpenGL examples in release mode :

mingw32-gcc -Wall -O2 -I%AL502INCDIR% -o $1.exe $1.c -L%AL502LNKDIR% -lallegro-5.0.2-monolith-mt -lopengl32 -lglu32 -lgcc_eh -static-libgcc

and they all worked fine as well.

FYI

ex_opengl.exe's allegro.log said:

Assumed OpenGL version: 2.0.255.0

So, I can't give you any reason why the downloaded example binary and the dll that came with it caused a crash. Sorry. :-/

The irony is that the part you need is probably 5Mb

Probably true.

Arthur Kalliokoski said:

all the rest is crap trying to get you to spend money.

I don't see how that makes sense. The majority of the file size of my VGA driver is propaganda and enticement? To buy what? I don't think so.

So that leaves the problems with ex_display_options and ex_mouse_cursor :

ex_display_options :

[When the downloaded example is run]
Changing to a fullscreen video mode more than once causes the video mode to fail and minimized windows to spawn endlessly.

[When a debug version I compiled myself is run]
Sometimes setting a fullscreen mode partially succeeds - the screen is still 1280X800, but there is a 1024X768 area that is covered by the program, like this :
{"name":"603962","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/7\/07a425c77a607e4ddcdf44f85ab02483.png","w":1280,"h":800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/7\/07a425c77a607e4ddcdf44f85ab02483"}603962

One time it rearranged all my icons - that's not cool. >:( Also, after changing video modes enough (2-5) times then the program always crashes. I attached an allegro.log from one time the program crashed (first set FS 640X480 then FS 800X600). I also got a backtrace of another crash. It crashed in d3d_lock_region with a SIGSEGV segmentation fault on line 719 of d3d_bmp.cpp.

ex_mouse_cursor :
Both the 'Edit' and the 'Precision' mouse cursors only partially display, and display different parts of the cursor depending on where it is on the screen.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

One time it rearranged all my icons - that's not cool.

Thats how windows deals with resizing the mode. It just happens sometimes and theres no way to fix it afaik. As for the crashes, I dunno, I didn't have a hand in the windows fullscreen and multimon code.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I'd suppose windows rearranges the icons for a smaller screen mode "to do you a favor" much like it changes tabs to spaces without asking.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Go to: