Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Android Market and other assorted Google fuckups

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Android Market and other assorted Google fuckups
jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

I've had an android phone (HTC Desire Z) for a while now and I've started to form an opinion on it.

1. A 30€ Nokia can send DTMF Tones. A 450€ Android smart phone can't. WTF? This is entirely useless for calling up support numbers of 99% of the businesses in the country. Trying to locate a DTMF app I stumbled upon the next issue:

edit: I just called my bank. I had to put my SIM card in my old Nokia 6600i to be able to call them. Way to go Google!

2. Android Market assumes I want illegible Google Translate "translations" instead of english in app descriptions. Trying to figure out what a program does from Babelfish finnish is quite an interesting sport.

3. Finnish translation and localisation, as is always with anything related to Linux, is gibberish at worst, weak at best[1]. I have no choice but to use my phone in english, which is sad because even the cheapest 20€ Nokia gets the translation right and this 450€ HTC doesn't.

4. Speaking of localisation, Google Calendard decided that I was in Belarus. I have no idea if that affects anything, I just found that out.

In particular to the HTC Desire Z:

5. Sound quality is excellent. Previously unintelligble speech from handsets with crap microphones (*cough*N95*cough*) is now almost understandable.

6. The scandinavian model's keyboard driver is buggy and occasionally the Ä, Ö and Å decide, independently of others, that capslock is on and the only way I've found for them to return to normal is to press the menu button twice.

7. The much-bitched-about Z-hinge is very sturdy and while it's true that it doesn't latch, it's not an issue.

References

1. I've never seen a Microsoft product translated this badly, ever.

You don't deserve my sig.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

jhuuskon said:

A 30€ Nokia can send DTMF Tones. A 450€ Android smart phone can't. WTF? This is entirely useless for calling up support numbers of 99% of the businesses in the country.

You mean where they say "Press 2 to receive suppository"? My Android does that just fine. You drag the dial pad up from the gray tab at the bottom of the screen (during a phone call) and use it like normal.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

The fact you need to drag in the first place is annoying as all hell though.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Billybob said:

Press 2 to receive suppository

:-X

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

jhuuskon said:

3. Finnish translation and localisation, as is always with anything related to Linux, is gibberish at worst, weak at best[1]. I have no choice but to use my phone in english, which is sad because even the cheapest 20€ Nokia gets the translation right and this 450€ HTC doesn't.

And this is certainly the fault of the linux kernel, rather than the fact that Nokia has its headquarters in Keilaniemi, Espoo, while Google still sits in Mountain View, CA...
Seriously though, most translations of anything computer related, into any language with less than say 50 million active speakers, tends to be utter crap at best. If it's not, then chances are it's the native language of a majority of the development team.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I just got an android device with the marketplace. I wanted to see how it performs so I found a familiar (to me from iPhone) title called Reckless Racing. I purchased it to find out (maybe the listing said this but I didn't see it) it was only 3MB to download. Running it just says "device unsupported". There are no device details on the product page.

Now, I find it hard to believe the real game is actually only 3MB. If it is, mad props to the developer! Did I just get scammed out of $4.75? Doesn't google do any inspection of their apps?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

This page says it's 0.99 and 57.9 megs.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reckless-racing/id386234787?mt=8

[EDIT]

Video is quite impressive!

video

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

jhuuskon said:

I've never seen a Microsoft product translated this badly, ever.

Oh? I guess Microsoft has better Finnish than Swedish translators then, because the latter just blatantly make shit up. For example, "graphics card", which is as simple as grafikkort in Swedish, is listed in the device manager[1] as the bullshit word bildskärmskort (~"monitor card"). :P

References

1. Or was listed, at least, the last time I had to check the device manager in a Swedish-language Windows install. Which admittedly was some time ago.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

so, if Android is a slightly modified linux and there are millions of decent games for Android, why doesn't somebody create an android wrapper and the massive gulf of no decent games on linux is bridged.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

From what I've seen so far, there isn't an overabundance of great games for Android yet. There are a few big name titles, some decent ports from iOS, and a few android exclusives. Maybe the market place is just badly organized.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Market is badly organized.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Ok, I was wrong. When I load Reckless Racing, just before it says "Your device is currently unsupported", some text flashes up which I can barely read but it says "Downloading content to your sd card"...

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Now, I find it hard to believetherealgame isactually only 3MB.Ifitis,mad props to the developer! Did I just get scammed out of $4.75? Doesn't google do any inspection of their apps?

Works fine for mee, I bought the game a while back. As you said later, it downloads the rest on first run.

And you didn't get scammed, you had 15 minutes within which you could have uninstalled the app and had the purchase cancelled.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

BAF said:

Works fine for mee, I bought the game a while back. As you said later, it downloads the rest on first run.

Thanks for telling me that, even though as you said I already said it.

Quote:

And you didn't get scammed, you had 15 minutes within which you could have uninstalled the app and had the purchase cancelled.

That I did not know though.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

That I did not know though.

When you purchase an app, they send an email that tells you.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Ya, problem with that is, I had to create a gmail account to use their app store and I don't check it like my regular mail... I forgot all about it.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

You didn't need to create a gmail account. You need a Google account, which can be created to point at your primary email address if you don't want gmail.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

No, when I signed up it specifically told me it needed to be a gmail account. I tried my existing google account and it didn't work.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I just bought a game, and they actually inform you of the 15 minute return period before the transaction is even processed.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

so, if Android is a slightly modified linux and there are millions of decent games for Android, why doesn't somebody create an android wrapper and the massive gulf of no decent games on linux is bridged.

That's ... actually a really good idea. Has this been done already?

Biggest issue would be interface. Any games specifically designed for multi-touch or accelerometer interaction wouldn't "port" correctly.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Also a problem with that is android runs on ARM not x86. You'd have to use an emulator. I hear google's emulator for developing android apps is really slow. But what you say about touch interface is also a huge issue. Probably 95% of all apps wouldn't run unmodified anyway, except using a mouse which wouldn't work for a lot of stuff.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Android can run on x86. Apps are dalvik bytecode, with the exception of NDK stufd.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

But all the games are built for arm and all the good ones use the NDK, so...

J-Gamer
Member #12,491
January 2011

I still have to wait for the 2.3 update to use the NDK to it's full potential... Samsung's still stuck on 2.2.

" There are plenty of wonderful ideas in The Bible, but God isn't one of them." - Derezo
"If your body was a business, thought would be like micro-management and emotions would be like macro-management. If you primarily live your life with emotions, then you are prone to error on the details. If you over-think things all the time you tend to lose scope of priorities." - Mark Oates

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

J-Gamer said:

Samsung's still stuck on 2.2.

My Samsung is running 2.3

1   2 

Go to: