Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Allegro 5.0.0 Installation Instructions for Fedora (13, 14,... eventually 15,..)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Allegro 5.0.0 Installation Instructions for Fedora (13, 14,... eventually 15,..)
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Allegro 5 has been moved from the updates-testing repositories to the updates repositories for Fedora 13 and Fedora 14! It's also been submitted for Fedora 15 so it should be in there before long (if not before release then shortly after, I'm guessing) and Fedora 15.

Installation Instructions

1. Do either one of the following depending on your preference:

• Install using the Add/Remove Software application:

1. Start the application (System > Administration > Add/Remove Software).

2. Type "allegro5" (without the quotes) into the search box and click Find.

3. Check off the packages that you wish to have installed.

{"name":"603935","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/a\/fa3ca30e2df968f9cc5214e21947fcfa.png","w":1400,"h":1000,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/a\/fa3ca30e2df968f9cc5214e21947fcfa"}603935

4. Click Apply to install them.

5. If the system prompts you for root privileges (it will unless you're doing something wrong and logging into Gnome as root) then enter the root password and click Authenticate.
        {"name":"603936","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/0\/e0e1b9f8bdfb49b2bc7c87f3ac113ec0.png","w":407,"h":360,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/0\/e0e1b9f8bdfb49b2bc7c87f3ac113ec0"}603936

• Or install from the command line:

1. Open your favorite virtual/pseudo-terminal (e.g. Ctrl+Alt+F2 or Applications > System Tools > Terminal).

2. Execute "yum install <pkgname>..." (without the quotes) as root[1] where "<pkgname>..." corresponds to one or more of the following:

• allegro5

• allegro5-devel

• allegro5-debuginfo

• allegro5-addon-acodec

• allegro5-addon-acodec-devel

• allegro5-addon-audio

• allegro5-addon-audio-devel

• allegro5-addon-dialog

• allegro5-addon-dialog-devel

• allegro5-addon-image

• allegro5-addon-image-devel

• allegro5-addon-physfs

• allegro5-addon-physfs-devel

• allegro5-addon-ttf

• allegro5-addon-ttf-devel

• Any other way that you see fit (it is Linux after all).

The -devel packages are required to compile programs that use Allegro 5. The -debuginfo package should contain the debug symbols for more useful output in case of a crash. The other packages are the runtimes for the core library and the addons (required to run Allegro 5 programs). If you have any trouble let me know or file a bug report. :D

You're welcome. >:(

References

1. Either elevate to root using "su -", pass the yum command into it with the "-c" option, or if you have sudo set up then use that.
Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Congratulations, nicely done!

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Nice! Congratulations.

I'm thinking to start using Fedora to compile my game (and learn). But what about the recent versions of Allegro that are going to be released?, I saw that it took you time and effort to get Allegro there. It's too difficult to update releases of Allegro?.

I don't know how the system works.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Evert said:

Congratulations, nicely done!

Thank you. :)

I'm thinking to start using Fedora to compile my game (and learn). But what about the recent versions of Allegro that are going to be released?, I saw that it took you time and effort to get Allegro there. It's too difficult to update releases of Allegro?.

I don't know how the system works.

It was actually quite simple. It took so long mostly because I was new to it and wanted to do things right (i.e., didn't want to do it wrong and get in trouble for breaking something). :P I'll be working on updating the Allegro 4 packages next for Allegro 4.4. I'm not sure just how serious the bugs in 5.0.0 are, but I don't think they're so serious that they cripple Allegro 5 for most people, so I'm not going to rush to update the packages. I will update them when I find the time though.

Edit: I've just received notice that allegro5 was pushed to stable for Fedora 15 (Alpha)!

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Nice! I hope your tutorial don't have some kind of copyright since is now on the Wiki ;D

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Technically it is copyrighted, but as far as I'm concerned it's fine to copy elsewhere. Allegro.cc probably technically owns it though for legal reasons, but I doubt ML will have a problem with you copying it to the wiki. :)

Also, updated the OP: I received notice that it has been pushed to stable for Fedora 15 too (though it might take a day or two for it to be seen).

Go to: