Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Post your latest music

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Post your latest music
blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Everyone has their own tastes. Stop thinking yours are better than everyone elses

Never!

Granted, I suppose I shouldn't dismiss genres altogether like that. However, it's talentless garbage like this that floods that music industry which ticks me off. People actually think that piece of trash (along with other "artists", autotuned, talentless, etc.) is talented. I mean...really?

The only reason people like him get anywhere is because they either know people, have connections, have good producers (who are the people who should receive the real credit in these cases), or give off some kind of viral public appeal to hipsters.

Real music is hard to come by these days.

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

It's safely assumed that "good music" is just an opinion. The same can't be said about "the ultimate answer to life" such as religion.

Why are you such a religion fascist lately?

LOOL!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Why are you such a religion fascist lately?

I get tired of the religious people throwing it in my face, implying I'm deficient or something.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Ah.. well that's a bitch. Suffice it to say that I'm religious and would never throw it in your face. I don't claim to have all the answers, I just believe what I believe and let other people do the same. If you want to have a discussion about it, wellll... maybe, but discussions of that nature usually turn into arguments and nothing is solved or learned anyway so it's usually a waste of time.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

In another thread, a member blithely stated that god told him to do something. What would you think if I said Santa Claus told me to do X, with the assumption that I thought this was perfectly acceptable?

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

See what I mean? I'm not going to discuss it because your mind is made up, you're only asking the question to antagonize.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I get tired of atheists claiming my belief in God makes me deficient.

This thread is for music, let's keep it that way if you don't mind. ;)

Artist : Hearts Of Space
Album  : Exotica
Genre  : Mix of Indian electronic music
Media  : wma file recorded from the radio
Source : hos.com - program 431

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Second last album I bought (all the music I've bought in the past few years minus a couple cds is from iTunes) was "The Longest EP" by NOFX... it's alright. Genre: Punk.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

However, it's talentless garbage like this that floods that music industry which ticks me off. People actually think that piece of trash (along with other "artists", autotuned, talentless, etc.) is talented. I mean...really?

The only reason people like him get anywhere is because they either know people, have connections, have good producers (who are the people who should receive the real credit in these cases), or give off some kind of viral public appeal to hipsters.

Talented rappers are very few and far between so it isn't the kind of genre that is booming with new talent. Talent is relatively rare, but the recording industry is itching to exploit the popularity, and unfortunately the popular kids will buy anything they think is popular (i.e., they have no actual taste). This makes it easy for a record label with some money to make it appear that an artist (of any genre, really) is popular, which means sales, which means profit.

Rap is awesome, and some hip hop is enjoyable, but you have to watch for the talent. Most of it does suck. It's hard to fake rap or hip top talent. The music is most often a repeating sequence so while it needs to be enjoyable, it's usually not the focus of a track which is probably why producers usually don't get praised for a single track. The lyrics are what I tend to focus on. You can mostly tell who has actual serious talent and who's just faking it. The really talented producers get notoriety for a career of awesome beats (e.g., Dr. Dre). It helps if they also rap too.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Are you f*ing kidding? Real music was hard to come buy two centuries ago, before the invention of the radio, the grammophone, and pretty much all other means of recording and distributing music. Back then, when you wanted music, you had two options: play it yourself, or have someone else play it for you.

Compare that to 2011: You don't even have to get out of your f*ing chair to download and play music, and the choice is abundant. The biggest problem is to tell the good stuff (music you like) from the bad stuff (music you don't like). Even music that isn't exactly raging popular, and appeals to a relatively narrow audience, can usually be acquired if you click a few times more. A few months ago, I ordered Hermeto Pascoal's "A musica livre" album (very experimental, hard to follow, mind-blowing to me, complete noise to many others, recorded in the 1970's and last issued in the early 1990's by a Japanese company) from a vendor in New Mexico, had it shipped across the Atlantic Ocean, and held it in my hands about a week later, for less than 30 euros (including shipping), in mint condition. So basically, some guy with long white hair and a beard recorded this album in Brazil almost 40 years ago, the tapes were then remastered (in the USA, IIRC), then baked into CDs in Japan some 20 years later, and one of those CDs was shipped first to New Mexico and then to the Netherlands, another 15-20 years or so later.
And it wasn't hard at all.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The actual sorting through it all to find the music you like can be hard if you're actively trying. I tend to just not worry about it and let the music that I like find me.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Yeah... one has to let go of the fear to miss out on great music. Yes, of course you're going to miss out. You'd have to have thousands of years at your disposal to listen to ALL the music, and you'd probably still need centuries to listen to all the good music. It would be equally silly to try and find ALL the nice people in the world and be friends with them, just because there's way too many of them (ain't that a nice thought?)

---
---

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I'm posting my latest music. This is a composition-to-be. I have no idea how to continue this march. So far there's the intro and the A part, which repeats. Note that many parts are missing, like the 2nd and 3rd trumpet in the A part. I feel I have to decide on the structure before I do anything else. Though I have some candidates for melodic themes for the other parts.
media player

Svartholm is this fortress:
{"name":"images","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/c\/fc81a170750c1b22f49861cea47dfcb1.jpg","w":257,"h":196,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/c\/fc81a170750c1b22f49861cea47dfcb1"}images

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

Some friends of mine playing in a band...info follows:

Artist: Sound Proof 101
Lead: Micah Batson
Bass: Tim Rogers
Drums: Eric Turner
Genre: Rock
Demo CD Release March 2011

Phases of The Moon or Phases of The Moon
Solace or Solace
Control or Control

--
"Everyone tells me I should forget about you, you don’t deserve me. They’re right, you don’t deserve me, but I deserve you."
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

bamccaig said:

Talented rappers are very few and far between so it isn't the kind of genre that is booming with new talent.

You really do talk a lot of shit sometimes. Did you read that on Wikipedia? ;D.

::)

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Dizzy Egg said:

You really do talk a lot of shit sometimes. Did you read that on Wikipedia? :D.

No, that's my personal opinion. If you can't rhyme well, or are consistently saying fewer than ~7 words between a pause (or per "line"), then you need to give up... ::) Rap is about delivering a lot of clever rhymes in short succession while telling a story or sending a message. Random rhymes are not interesting or relate-able, slow or weak rhymes are boring as fuck. It's really quite simple.

In the example cited by Jessy Lenney above, the first six lines of the second verse are:

Quote:

Spent a couple dollars on my engine
motor roaring when I back out the garage
Gin got me drunk as f-ck stumbling out the bar
Plus I'm struggling tryna find the keys to my car
Cause I be going hard, roll the camera
Life just like a movie, I'm the star

He doesn't rhyme engine and garage with anything anywhere. So basically you get to the fourth line without any rhymes. Rhyming bar, car, hard, and star is like 3rd grader stuff, and he's not even doing it with an interesting message. It's like every line or two is a completely unrelated thought. Not to mention, he has "hard" is the middle of his 5th line which basically means that the 5th line too doesn't rhyme with anything (i.e., ends with "roll the camera"). Not to mention it doesn't flow well together at all. That shit sucks, and that style of slow, childish, message-less rhyming seems to be pretty common these days; though it's especially prominent in "Southern rappers". :-/ For example, Lil' Wayne, for all his fame and success, usually sucks hard, IMHO.

Even Drake, who is getting all kinds of attention all of a sudden, isn't very good from what I've heard. His rhymes are pretty weak and slow too. It's nothing impressive.

I can't even listen to that shit. I listen primarily to Eminem and 50 Cent, and old stuff from Dr. Dre and Tupac and other affiliated rappers.

For an arbitrary "statistical" comparison, let's look at the character, word, [and "line"] counts for the song Forever by Drake (featuring Kanye West, Lil' Wayne, and Eminem; two of which are way over-hyped). This song is actually pretty good, despite only having one seriously talented rapper in it. I grabbed the lyrics from the Web and joined the lines up the way that I believe they should be joined. It's not always easy to say though so consider the line counts extra superficial. I wrote the lyrics to a file named lyrics.txt. The file contained only the verses with an artist header that looked like this: [artist name]. If you don't speak sed, tail, head, or wc: sed is used to match a single verse at a time by artist, tail is used to remove the artist name header line, head is used to trim the following artist's header line and a blank line in between verses, and wc outputs the line count, word count, and character count; respectively. Note that since there was no artist header after Eminem's verse I only trimmed one line instead of two.

$ sed -nr '/[Drake\]/,/^[/ p' lyrics.txt | tail -n +2 | head -n -2 | wc
     17     150     776
$ sed -nr '/[Kanye West\]/,/^[/ p' lyrics.txt | tail -n +2 | head -n -2 | wc
     22     202    1058
$ sed -nr '/[Lil Wayne\]/,/^[/ p' lyrics.txt | tail -n +2 | head -n -2 | wc
     16     161     813
$ sed -nr '/[Eminem\]/,/^[/ p' lyrics.txt | tail -n +2 | head -n -1 | wc
     19     223    1172

These statistics basically support the way that I would grade the complexity and skill of the verses, with one exception: Kanye West wasn't even rapping for two lines in the beginning.

$ sed -nr '/[Kanye West\]/,/^[/ p' lyrics.txt | tail -n +4 | head -n -2 | wc
     20     186     980

Ah, that's a bit better. There are a few other lines that I think are ridiculous and shouldn't count, like "old money Benjamin Button, whaat, nuttin" (WTF is that?), but I'll leave those in for argument's sake.

This pretty clearly shows that Eminem has considerably more words (next runner up was Kanye West with ~37 fewer words and he even had an extra line...) and more characters than the other artists.

The word/word and character/character ratios for x / Eminem:

Kanye West:    0.834    0.836
Lil' Wayne:    0.722    0.694†
Drake:         0.673    0.662‡

† This suggests to me that not only does Wayne spit fewer words, but they're shorter/simpler words on average.
‡ Same story as Lil' Wayne; suggests to me shorter/simpler words on average.

None of these other artists even come close to Eminem, in this song or in any other song. Reading through the lyrics yourself should confirm this for you. The file that I used (which probably has a few errors in it; I didn't write the lyrics out myself) is attached. And for the record, each of these 3 insufficient rappers had relatively good verses in this song compared to their other material (even though Kanye West had a lot of ridiculous filler, he still did have a couple of clever rhymes to pull him back up with the others).

/2¢

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Thumbs up for those listening to "Nightwish" and "Within Temptation". :D

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

On the subject of rap, I really like

video
and
video

I don't listen to much rap though as no one else around me listens to rap and so I have no one to siphon music from :)

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

bambam: Are you telling us that you made a shell script to judge the quality of rap lyrics? :o

---
---

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

bambam: Are you telling us that you made a shell script to judge the quality of rap lyrics?

That's a brilliant idea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

On the subject of rap, I really like [Eminem - Kim] and [Eminem - Stan]

^ This. 8-) Both of which are on the Marshall Mathers LP, my favorite Eminem album.

I don't listen to much rap though as no one else around me listens to rap and so I have no one to siphon music from :)

:(

bambam: Are you telling us that you made a shell script to judge the quality of rap lyrics? :o

I inlined it, but I guess you could say so ... :-X I'm not saying that it's an accurate way to measure quality. It's certainly not scientific in any way. It is what it is. :-/

A couple of good rhymes, but overall it sucks.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

For me, I plugged Antigravity into Pandora and already found a nice selection of music. :)

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I stumbled across this in reddit.

video

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

1   2   3 

Go to: