Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » 8.8 Earthquake in Japan

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
8.8 Earthquake in Japan
Michael Faerber
Member #4,800
July 2004

Good luck, Kirr! I was wondering before if something may have happened to you, glad you're ok ...

--
"The basic of informatics is Microsoft Office." - An informatics teacher in our school
"Do you know Linux?" "Linux? Isn't that something for visually impaired people?"

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

type568 said:

I bet they are, as long as they've power..

If they require external power/influence, then that means they aren't self regulating...

At any rate, this blog post seems to have actual information and explinations from people who actually know what is going on and what happened, rather than sensationalist OMG MELTDOWN bullshit. Though I do have to question that they couldn't hook up the backup generators "because the plugs didn't fit." I would expect a power plant to have engineers who could make it work; electricity is electricity, and non-matching plugs should only be a brief setback; so there must be more to the story yet that isn't being told.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

BAF said:

If they require external power/influence, then that means they aren't self regulating...

They had some other power generators(diesel I bet), which failed..

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I'm not talking about the Japanese reactors; they're fairly old. I'm talking about newer designs.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

BAF said:

At any rate, this blog post [morgsatlarge.wordpress.com] seems to have actual information and explinations from people who actually know what is going on and what happened

It gets so many facts wrong. :P
Like calling control rods "moderator rods"[1], or describing them as only being used to stop the reaction completely[2], or implying that the uranium is what's dangerous if released, rather than the way way nastier 137Cs (a strong gamma emitter) for example. Or this one:

Quote:

The intermediate radioactive materials (Cesium and Iodine) are also almost gone at this stage, because the Uranium decay was stopped a long time ago.

The half-lives of 131I and 137Cs are 8 days and 30 years, respectively, and the uranium decay hasn't stopped - the uranium fissioning has been stopped. :P

References

1. The water is the moderator. Slowing down neutrons != absorbing neutrons.
  2. They're used under normal operations to regulate power output.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Here are some before-and-after photos of selected areas.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/japan-quake-2011/beforeafter.htm

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Pretty saddened by this. Having increased my contact with Japanese culture in the last years (still haven't traveled there, but now I am founder and editor of a fansubbing group), this was a terrible shock, as many of our cappers/translators are in Japan (including one who was actually in Sendai when this all happened).

And now the nuclear problems. It is an absolute tragedy.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Oh hey, and now there's a volcano acting up. Cut this country a break ... geez.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

ReyBrujo said:

And now the nuclear problems

They are not as bad as TN claims them to be >:( actually, it's a testament of Japanese building skills that the nuclear plant survived a quake that was 7 times stronger than it was designed for. In any case, I share the feeling though, I hope that they can find some of the missing people!

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

it's a testament of Japanese building skills that the nuclear plant survived a quake that was 7 times stronger than it was designed for

But that's only a partial truth. The quake caused the tsunami. The plant is at the shore. Either the tsunami or the quake caused the power failure, which made the cooling system fail. Things are not as they should be at the plant. That said, I do believe they will fix the problems and the world will see that they handled the situation well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Kir said:

Just posting to say that I'm alive and well.

Keep it like that !
Hope you'll overcome that with not that much problems, Good luck man !

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

video

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Kwame Alexander
Member #3,759
August 2003

I wasn't even aware of the quake until I saw the news. In Osaka, we got shaken up a little, but nothing major. Even then, I was out of the city at the time.

I'm more than a little concerned, as I have friends in the affected area.

--------------------------
"Be yourself and it'll just happen," - Traditional litany against success

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

And goodbye reactor building #3. :P

video

No doubt about it being hydrogen this time...

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

They pumped sea water either into the reactor vessel or the containment (it's not clear yet). Either way that's pretty bad, because that's basically the last resort when you have nothing else left to remove the residual heat from the reactor. It also means those reactors won't be running ever again. Not much will go into the environment though, that's nonsense exaggerated by the media...

By the way, those explosions are nothing to be worried about really...

--
sig used to be here

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

miran said:

They pumped sea water either into the reactor vessel or the containment (it's not clear yet).

Sea water/boric acid mix into the reactor vessel itself.

--

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

miran said:

It also means those reactors won't be running ever again.

Better because of the cooling meassures taken than by a meltdown. If I'm not mistaken meltdown of the reactor fuel can threaten the integrity of the vessel itself, am I right? (Correct me if I'm wrong, please).

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

gnolam said:

Sea water/boric acid mix into the reactor vessel itself.

Ah, so my sources weren't up to date. I'm reading the latest official report right now: http://www.jaif.or.jp/english/news/2011/110314fukushima_event-status-1.pdf

OICW said:

Better because of the cooling meassures taken than by a meltdown. If I'm not mistaken meltdown of the reactor fuel can threaten the integrity of the vessel itself, am I right? (Correct me if I'm wrong, please).

Yes, because it would be virtually impossible to clean up the whole system. Just think of all the dead fish in there :P

--
sig used to be here

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Aha, nice summaries. I've been following TEPCO's press releases instead. :)

--

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

That link doesn't work for me.

--
sig used to be here

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

But that's only a partial truth. The quake caused the tsunami. The plant is at the shore. Either the tsunami or the quake caused the power failure, which made the cooling system fail. Things are not as they should be at the plant.

True, but take into account that the power plant's design is very old by today's standards since it is a Mark I reactor (in fact, reactor I was scheduled to be retired soon) and at the time BWRs required active cooling. Supposedly newer designs have passive cooling which would eliminate / mitigate these kinds of problems (not sure if there are any in operation though).

I think that something we should be able to agree upon is that we shouldn't build nuclear power plants so close to a sea shore susceptible to tsunamis.

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Am I the only one who really knows whats going on here....?

GODZILLA!

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

miran said:

That link doesn't work for me.

Eh, now it works, but very slowly.

--
sig used to be here

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

WSJ.com said:

The explosion took place Monday morning at the No. 3 reactor of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear complex, the same place where a failure to cool overheated fuel rods at the No. 1 reactor resulted in a similar blast on Saturday. That explosion also damaged a pump used to bring in sea water for added cooling, the government's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said at a briefing Monday evening. The agency said the fuel rods at the No. 3 reactor are now fused together.

Could anyone explain what does that mean?

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

I think that something we should be able to agree upon is that we shouldn't build nuclear power plants so close to a sea shore susceptible to tsunamis.

The reason you build plants close to the sea is so you can run the last heat exchange on seawater in an open cycle, and thus don't have to build large, expensive cooling towers.

type568 said:

Could anyone explain what does that mean?

Partial melting of the fuel rods.

--

Go to: