Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Does allegro.cc have a Minecraft server anymore?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Does allegro.cc have a Minecraft server anymore?
CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

I feel like a great way to get security is through distance, but everybody on the map teleports like nobody's business. If you build your homestead 3 days walk North, somebody really has to want to see it before they make the investment.

The lesson here, is stop teleporting, everyone! I'm fine with each person getting his own /home warp point, but that's it! (hey0 has that feature).

bamccaig said:

I'm more interested in the mining, crafting, and whatever actual gameplay Notch introduces in the future (i.e., a reason to play).

I'll reserve the bottom 20 layers of the map for you across the entire world. But you may never visit the surface again.

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/2623477410/strategy-meeting-day-results

I'm nervous that Notch is talking about finishing up Minecraft with it in such a terrible state. Still, this should tear BAF's troll instincts straight in twain:

Quote:

Oh, and I’ve finally committed the Music Blocks to the repository.

(Oh, wait, no, I didn’t.. Doing so broke git, so we’re changing to svn because git is horrible and evil)

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Oh please, what's the drama? You just don't build or dig in that area. That's all. Just for roleplaying, and getting away from the repetitive and boring minecraft gameplay. It's a sandbox game, there's no laws that we can't make our own games from it. You would be respectful enough of not modifying it in the first place anyway.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Quote: said:

Oh, and I’ve finally committed the Music Blocks to the repository.(Oh, wait, no, I didn’t.. Doing so broke git, so we’re changing to svn because git is horrible and evil)

Oh God, he prefers Subversion to Git...?! :( Maybe BAF was right... :P

I was going to correct him on his blog, but it seems comments are disabled (or Facebook/Twitter based, neither of which I have or allow to run).

Actually, now that I think about it, I think I might have told him to use Git in the first place... I must follow up!

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I feel like a great way to get security is through distance, but everybody on the map teleports like nobody's business. If you build your homestead 3 days walk North, somebody really has to want to see it before they make the investment.

I tried that, and someone littered my lawn with torches. :(

Quote:

I'm nervous that Notch is talking about finishing up Minecraft with it in such a terrible state. Still, this should tear BAF's troll instincts straight in twain:

We had a nice discussion last night. In short, only one or two people agreed with me that moving from alpha to beta should result in a feature lock, and as such, notch should fix bugs instead of introducing more. bamccaig said he would rather have new, broken features, rather than having basic things like minecraft_server work without lagging [i actually think it's hitting some sort of deadlock or something, just based on the logs] to hell every 20 minutes.

Anyway, at the current rate development on minecraft is going, I don't hold out much hope. Notch should stop treating it like a hobby, and become more professional. It is, after all, a very well paying full time job for him. It shouldn't be labelled beta if they are still trying to design the thing. :P

bamccaig said:

Maybe BAF was right...

:P

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Poor people have a tendency to tell rich people what they should do. Rich people have a tendency to laugh at poor people.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Customers tend to have this erroneous belief that they should get their monies worth.

Obviously businesses know better.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I'm not exactly poor, I'm just speaking from my experience thus far. And from the fact that I'm a customer, and the customer is always right (or, something like that... I'd be happy with bugfixes that matter, not new enemy types when the existing ones barely work).

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

The lesson here, is stop teleporting, everyone! I'm fine with each person getting his own /home warp point, but that's it! (hey0 has that feature).

The reason we're all OPs is because we can't use commands that should actually be available to normal players(like /list).

Hey0 has that. We should really get hey0 and see if we have better luck. Maybe the MinecartMania plugin and such will reduce the lag too. I'm believing those boosters and redstone circuits are the reason lately. :-[

My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Customers tend to have this erroneous belief that they should get their monies worth.

Unless the businesses are forcing us to buy their products at gunpoint (as with Obamacare), let them be. If the products really aren't worth it then people won't buy them, and the business will either have to lower prices or close their doors.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

BAF said:

bamccaig said he would rather have new, broken features, rather than having basic things like minecraft_server work without lagging [i actually think it's hitting some sort of deadlock or something, just based on the logs] to hell every 20 minutes.

• The server is more than usable, and a beta isn't supposed to work perfectly.

• As we discussed last night, beta isn't a well defined development stage, and can be interpreted however the developer chooses. It sounds to me like beta for Minecraft means "start moving in the direction of actually adding a purpose and then stabilize".

• I experience just as much lag (sometimes more) in mainstream published games that have been around for years, like Counter-Strike: Source. The servers also regularly crash, etc. Game servers are generally non-trivial software, contrary to your personal beliefs.

• Since there really isn't even a purpose to Minecraft yet, a feature freeze would be pretty disappointing for all of the many users that enjoy experiencing the game before release and want to see what's next. The client and server both work more than well enough to experience the game near perfectly. I don't mind the occasional crash or lag spike. I want to see where Minecraft is going. He can worry about making it stable when he's finished figuring out what it is going to be.

• I personally don't notice very much lag. Maybe it's you. ;)

Customers tend to have this erroneous belief that their $10 is worth a gigantic mansion, 4 Italian supercars, and a pool full of Playboy bunnies.

If you haven't gotten $10 worth out of Minecraft already, let alone with what's to come, then you're doing it wrong. I've gotten a ton more out of that $10 investment then I've gotten out of $60 investments in mainstream published games.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Bleh, cross my last post. Seems h0 is outdated, buggy, and a new project took its place now(Bukkit it seems).

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Unless the businesses are forcing us to buy their products at gunpoint (as with Obamacare), let them be. If the products really aren't worth it then people won't buy them, and the business will either have to lower prices or close their doors.

This isn't the place for this discussion. I do have a retort, but yeah.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

My impression is that minecraft went "beta" just to increase the price to $15 and remove that line that said all future updates were free :P^Other than that I still consider it in alpha (or even pre-alpha, since in theory there are many features not done (and new game modes) or not even designed yet). Of course Notch may decide to go to Miami and change its identity :P

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

This isn't the place for this discussion.

Sure it is. The only topic that we can't discuss in this thread is...

Quote:

Does allegro.cc have a Minecraft server anymore?

???

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

OK, I'll avoid that topic. Now all you people that still have Christmas avatars, put them back the way they were!. It's bad enough the poll points to something that already happened the previous year!

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Disaster at the Sky Tower!
{"name":"603020","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/4\/346448af8b46035f0cc7d97652b56157.png","w":1440,"h":900,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/4\/346448af8b46035f0cc7d97652b56157"}603020

I built a cobblestone generator which ran great for a while. It passed nearby some wood and after a while it caught on fire and quickly spread to the whole tower!

I dowsed water everywhere to save what was left.
{"name":"603021","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/6\/4698549cec558be9b979b159dd97457b.png","w":1440,"h":900,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/6\/4698549cec558be9b979b159dd97457b"}603021

Erikster
Member #9,510
February 2008

This is why we always encase our cobblestone generators in... cobblestone. :o

Cat! I'm a kitty cat. And I dance dance dance, and I dance dance dance.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

bamccaig said:

Sure it is. The only topic that we can't discuss in this thread is...

A minecraft thread isn't really the place for a meta discussion on business practices.

--

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

/cast derailthread

k now it is

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

A minecraft thread isn't really the place for a meta discussion on business practices.

And a direct quote from you shows that you were starting it?

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Erikster said:

This is why we always encase our cobblestone generators in... cobblestone.

If you've dealt with this before and are knowledgable, could you elaborate more. Why must they be enclosed?

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Dario ff said:

Hey0 has that. We should really get hey0 and see if we have better luck. Maybe the MinecartMania plugin and such will reduce the lag too. I'm believing those boosters and redstone circuits are the reason lately.

I've heard iffy things about hey0, not to mention the questionable stability and the fact that it won't be in development for much longer. Bukkit was brought to my attention, and I'm looking into that.

Dario ff said:

Bleh, cross my last post. Seems h0 is outdated, buggy, and a new project took its place now(Bukkit it seems).

Heh, I typed my above reply to you before I read that post.

bamccaig said:

The server is more than usable, and a beta isn't supposed to work perfectly.

Sure, it's usable when it isn't lagging. A beta isn't supposed to work perfectly, no, but a beta is when you fix major issues!

Quote:

As we discussed last night, beta isn't a well defined development stage, and can be interpreted however the developer chooses.

And I still disagree with that completely. There is a loosely defined standard for these things, you know.

Quote:

I experience just as much lag (sometimes more) in mainstream published games that have been around for years, like Counter-Strike: Source. The servers also regularly crash, etc.

Well, that's your fault for playing crappy games. I've played my fair share of mainstream games, and minecraft is the first to have these major issues. Then again, that's to be expected, considering it's obviously still being developed as if it's alpha.

Quote:

Game servers are generally non-trivial software, contrary to your personal beliefs.

I don't see why minecraft server needs to be very complex. Also, a lot of the bugs I've seen are so bizarre that one can only wonder what kind of mess the code is.

Quote:

Since there really isn't even a purpose to Minecraft yet, a feature freeze would be pretty disappointing for all of the many users that enjoy experiencing the game before release and want to see what's next.

No it wouldn't. You need a solid foundation to build a nice, long-lasting house. Save "what's next" for when you have something stable to build on.

Quote:

I personally don't notice very much lag. Maybe it's you.

It randomly happens, and it most certainly isn't just me. The whole server program stops responding for a few minutes, and won't resume until a connection times out and it drops everyone offline. Oh, and when you connect and occasionally can't do anything for a few minutes. But there definitely is some sort of issue.

Quote:

If you haven't gotten $10 worth out of Minecraft already, let alone with what's to come, then you're doing it wrong.

First of all, it's 10 euros, not 10 dollars. Also, it's funny to see you assign such value to a game that you repeatedly claim is boring to you and has no point. :P

My impression is that minecraft went "beta" just to increase the price to $15 and remove that line that said all future updates were free

Finally, someone else who actually knows something about software development. :P

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

If you've dealt with this before and are knowledgable, could you elaborate more. Why must they be enclosed?

I think he just means not built near wood, similar to how somebody lighting a cigarette probably doesn't want to do so standing next to a gas pump. :P

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Not built near anything flammable. Things near lava can catch fire easily. Even cobblestone. :P

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

BAF said:

Also, it's funny to see you assign such value to a game that you repeatedly claim is boring to you and has no point. :P

There is more than $10 (OR $15) worth of content to explore. I've already explored it though. I'm looking for something new.

Go to: