Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Does allegro.cc have a Minecraft server anymore?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Does allegro.cc have a Minecraft server anymore?
23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

/mine mine mine

Hey, I found a 200th post; sweet!

I've been thinking of what to do underground; maybe a water slide? Hmmm ... need to keep up with all the other cool stuff ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Thanks, I'll go grab it. ;D

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

How are the plans for the subway going?

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Well, from my end I am building a train station that joins my two bases, yesterday I spent like 3-4 stacks of iron in just tracks and 12 stacks of cobble, took me around 4 hours...

The stations are connected and you can go from the main station to the other one, but not the other way around yet since I have not put any boosters there. Also, I still have to do all the wiring at the main station so that if you press a button to depart.

If anyone wants to help by connecting other tracks to it or by helping in the wiring, it would be great!

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I wish I could find that much iron. ;D

In addition to the request about \;), I'd also like to make a separate layer that includes only signs that have (!). That way, we can make a points-of-interest system, where the (!) signs are for general things and don't get cluttered on the map. Think, "Tomasu82's Pagoda (!)" and "Allegator Theme Park (!)".

I like the ideas, but I'm not totally sure if I like the notations. I guess \;) isn't bad for hidden signs, but I'd rather tag signs with [POI] or something for points of interest, rather than the ambiguous (!) - which conceivably could mean danger or anything else.

Also, who the hell put torches all over the ground around my tower up north (in the snow)? I'm slightly pissed about that, because there is now a lot of missing snow and ugly grass patches in my landscape. I'm going to have to spawn in snow now to go fix it. :P

[edit]
So now, signs containing ;) are hidden, and signs containing [POI] show up separately. Also, you can now click on the player/poi/sign markers to get more details (like position).

Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

Dario, your signs make me think you're trying to con us somehow ;).

I might be able to help with the subway. What are we doing about cart management?

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Ugh, now I will have to rewrite all those signs. If only you could just "edit" it instead, of having to destroy it and place it back again.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

What are we doing about cart management?

Nothing yet, my idea is to use something like what CoeStar did (a two way station with track selectors, see episodes E105 to 109). Help is appreciated!

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

BAF said:

Also, who the hell put torches all over the ground around my tower up north (in the snow)? I'm slightly pissed about that, because there is now a lot of missing snow and ugly grass patches in my landscape. I'm going to have to spawn in snow now to go fix it.

I think I found your culprit.
{"name":"603014","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/f\/af25bde0d8823453f3817a3bd793c15c.png","w":742,"h":742,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/f\/af25bde0d8823453f3817a3bd793c15c"}603014
Whatever the hell that is. :P

My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Haha, that's awesome.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

The POI layer is awesome. I also like the improved sign rendering.

It'd be nice if we could stake a claim to certain areas, even if it was only on the honor system. I think the initial application of this would be the POI system (e.g. "CursedTyrant's Place Do not modify!"), but it'd be cool if there was a mod that said things like "okay, this chunk can only be modified by this group of people."

[append]

{"name":"603015","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/1\/815ed193476130a0d3d47578ec18e881.jpg","w":1291,"h":980,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/1\/815ed193476130a0d3d47578ec18e881"}603015

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

it'd be cool if there was a mod that said things like "okay, this chunk can only be modified by this group of people."

There is, and I mentioned it earlier. If you could also lock chests so no one could get at my iron then I'd be set. :) Or I would be if I could get the game to run from the office anymore ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Locking chests makes sense (adding a delay to get into a "locked" chest without a key). Locking down areas of the map does not. If I swing my pick axe at a rock I should be able to break it no matter what.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

bamccaig said:

Locking chests makes sense (adding a delay to get into a "locked" chest without a key). Locking down areas of the map does not. If I swing my pick axe at a rock I should be able to break it no matter what.

In reality, you can't just go up to a building and take it down in seconds. Perhaps marking an area to require a larger amount of hits for each block should exist? That way, an intruder can still destroy an area, but it's going to be more work and they're more likely to get caught.

And it would be nice if an overlay message could state you are in a given area so it's clear why all of a sudden you can't manipulate the world at hyper speeds.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Onewing said:

In reality, you can't just go up to a building and take it down in seconds. Perhaps marking an area to require a larger amount of hits for each block should exist? That way, an intruder can still destroy an area, but it's going to be more work and they're more likely to get caught.

And it would be nice if an overlay message could state you are in a given area so it's clear why all of a sudden you can't manipulate the world at hyper speeds.

I don't care for this idea. It's out of world affecting inside world. That's never fun. Now, if they explained it away with some kind of magical time paradox, reducing the amount of time it normally takes, then I might accept it. In general, I say screw your damn castle. It looks pretty, but it doesn't serve any purpose. It's therefore not important if it gets torn down or something. I'm not suggesting we go on a rampage tearing everybody's structures down. I'm just saying that the game shouldn't prevent it. In any case, I don't think it's been a huge issue anyway. You can't really own land in a virtual sandbox world like this. ::) You claimed it, but you don't actually have any inherent right to it.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

When we distribute land grants, I'm going to claim all the coolest castles. Then I'll sell them back to the creators for stacks of iron.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

bamccaig said:

Now, if they explained it away with some kind of magical time paradox, reducing the amount of time it normally takes, then I might accept it.

What about reinforcing materials? Take any block and craft it with sand and water and the block gets +5 hp. I'm not saying it's a perfect solution, but I don't like the mentality of "no solution will work".

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

bamccaig just has specific ideas of what is fun in games, he thinks everyone else shares the same exact ideas. :P

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I would like protected areas in "commercial" places, since there's no way we can avoid griefing. They ALWAYS have the advantage. Take the arena for example, the park, or even a possibly future bank. The idea is to make certain areas like the Adventure mode proposed by Notch.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Yeah, that is actually EXACTLY what I wanted to do. ;D

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

bamccaig said:

You can't really own land in a virtual sandbox world like this. You claimed it, but you don't actually have any inherent right to it.

This is very similar to a program I heard of called IRL. When the server was first started, everybody was running all over claiming land and taking it from other people and blah. Eventually, they started using some people to enforce the rights of others. Once that became possible, it also became possible to define what those rights were. There were lots of attempts, they even had their own feudal system for a while. Eventually they settled on a modern ownership system and still enforce it through those people whose job it is to enforce other people's rights.

Now, we don't quite have the quantity of people necessary to maintain a police force. However, there are a couple other differences between IRL and Minecraft as well. For example, in IRL, a character can carry about 100 pounds. In Minecraft, a character can easily lift 4200 tons[1].In IRL, a character can mine through 1 cubic meter of stone with a pickaxe in maybe 15 minutes. In Minecraft, a character can do it in under 45 seconds[2].

In light of these differences, I contest that using methods that interfere with the fundamental building blocks of the universe is fair game. Methods such as preventing modifications to the spacetime continuum within certain timespheres, thereby granting a divine right to life, liberty, and property. The way our forefathers intended.

References

1. 1650 kg/m3 (Granite, broken) * 36 inventory slots * 64 in a stack.
  2. 1 day / 20 min * 0.59 s

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The whole game world of Minecraft is built around the idea that you can reshape the world. Taking away that ability, especially with server-side hacks, takes away the entire point of the game so far! I like Onewing's idea of reinforcing blocks though. It requires actual effort from the creator, and it isn't a complete server-side god-mode GTFO hack, but just a more material means stronger material system.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Lets all go and repeatedly destroy anything Bamccaig has made!

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Lets all go and repeatedly destroy anything Bamccaig has made!

Jokes on you because I haven't made anything! :P I don't find that very fun. Those structures for the most part don't serve any practical purpose. They're just eye candy. Like a video game with awesome graphics, and no gameplay whatsoever. I'm more interested in the mining, crafting, and whatever actual gameplay Notch introduces in the future (i.e., a reason to play).

Go to: