Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » bmw not driven in a year

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
bmw not driven in a year
van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

I'm being given a manual (5 speed)1984 318i bmw with just a little over 200 km (124 miles), the previous owner maintained her ok.

Now the car hasnt been started for a year has been exposed to the elements in a driveway, and i'm getting her towed over to my friend's shop where I get to do anything i want by myself. I have access to a hoist.

Here's what I gather I should do for a car that hasnt been started in a year

1. Drain fuel system and put a gallon of high grade fuel with octane boost
2. Oil change, then remove spark plugs, lube cylinders and crank engine couple of time
3. Flush coolant.
4. New air filter.
5. Start the car while on hoist and let it run until fan kicks in.
6. Inspect brakes.
7. Inspect differential and tranny fluid.
8. Check hoses and all rubber parts
9. New tires
10. Test drive
11. Tranny flush
12. Differential flush.
13. Flush fuel injector and put in a new fuel filter.

Any suggestions or things I'm missing?

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Hell, you probably don't even need to do half of that. It's only been a year. But do it anyway for good measure. The issue with that car is that the car itself is old, not that it's been sitting.

Make sure when you tow it you do not leave the driven wheels on the ground. People make that mistake all the time and it's absolutely insane. Automatic transmissions are lubricated by a pump. A pump turned only by the engine side of the transmission. If the wheels are turning, gears are turning but no oil is being replaced. It's a great way to kill a good car.

Lastly, change the air filter. Lubricate the door hinges and suspension components.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

My current car sat for a good 3 years before we bought it, I think. I don't think we did anything fancy, but it's only a Pontiac. ;D Albeit, only a 15 year old Pontiac.

I don't think that an '84 BMW is all that awesome really... :-/

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

yes Chris, the little details; I am getting her towed on a dolly

*air filter, adding that to my list

I'll probably need a new battery as well.

-----

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

You don't need a dolly for towing a manual. The differential and gearbox lubricate themselves just fine even without engine power.

If it's been standing still for only a year, it'll start ok as long as there's juice in the battery. The air filter may have absorbed moisture, if the cartidge feels moist, just replace it.

Flushing the coolant is a good idea, an oil change is mandatory and replace the oil filter while you're at it. Using an injector cleaner in the first tank of gas is not bad idea. I'd be more concerned about the brakes seizing and rubber hoses becoming brittle (this happens with time with or without driving). You should focus on those instead of worrying about the engine.

Don't bother with transmission oil (a manual transmission does not have transmission fluid, it has only oil) or differential oil. Only flush them if either gives you trouble.

You don't deserve my sig.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

jhuuskon said:

You don't need a dolly for towing a manual. The differential and gearbox lubricate themselves just fine even without engine power.

I completely missed that he said it was a manual. Yeah, of course that's true.

Quote:

Don't bother with transmission oil (a manual transmission does not have transmission fluid, it has only oil) or differential oil. Only flush them if either gives you trouble.

... or every 100,000 miles. :P

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I'm being given a manual (5 speed)1984 318i bmw

Score one for the good guys. The only thing I can suggest is that you make sure the family of raccoons in the trunk are removed before you do any work. They can be ornery.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

jhuuskon said:

I dont trust the tires on that car

-----

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

1984 318i bmw with just a little over 200 km

A 26 year old car and it's been driven only 200 km?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Cue obligatory Kawasaki reliability (adapted for BMW) joke.[1]

References

1. Back in the late 80's and 90's, Kawasaki motorcycles' reliability was so bad that even brand new bikes spent more time being fixed than on the road. The Kawasaki 4-cylinder head and cam chain design used in the ZZR and ZXR range became, thanks to their design flaws, a legend in their own notorious right.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

jhuuskon said:

Back in the late 80's and 90's, Kawasaki motorcycles' reliability was so bad that even brand new bikes spent more time being fixed than on the road. The Kawasaki 4-cylinder head and cam chain design used in the ZZR and ZXR range became, thanks to their design flaws, a legend in their own notorious right.

My Dad has a 1990 ZX10. It sat in our garage for 10+ years. He opened it up, sprayed an old can of PowerTune (engine starter fluid) into the carbs. In less than two seconds of cranking it burst to life. He was revving it up wildly (obligatory disclaimer: after letting it oil itself for a moment, and not redlining it). Upstairs my mom was hosting a bible study. I can only imagine the expressions on their faces.

He bought that motorcycle used, and never replaced anything on it save for retuning the carbs. What you say may be true, but I certainly haven't experienced it.

He also has a 1972 Kawasaki H2 750 from college. A two-stroke three-cylinder bike. Fast. As. Balls; for the era. He never mentioned any problem with it, and obviously bought second Kawasaki afterward.

I've had poor reliability with Chrysler, Chrylser, Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Chrysler, Volkswagen (but in less important ways), Subaru (half-and-half), Izuzu, Jeep (did I mention Chrysler?), and the writing on the walls is to avoid BMW and Landrovers. But I've never heard a lick of bad words about any motorcycle manufacturer (Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda). My 1972 Honda runs exceptionally well given that it was left out in the rain for thirty years.

{"name":"Kawasaki%20H2%20750%2072.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/6\/d6b41b686af4f71cf6d4a75c4ddd2b18.jpg","w":1000,"h":627,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/6\/d6b41b686af4f71cf6d4a75c4ddd2b18"}Kawasaki%20H2%20750%2072.jpg
Oooohhhhh gosh.... something's wrong with my pants... oh...

-----sig:

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

The faulty head doesn't apply to two-strokes obviously (they don't have a head, they have a lid, even Kawasaki can't screw up the design on an inanimate solid piece of metal). Mainly to the GPX 600, GPZ 1000 and ZXR 750 models. (Apparently the ZZR uses a different head design, my bad). The whole thing was pretty devastating to Kawasaki's reputation because those three models were Kawasaki's flagship sport models for the turn of the decade. Ever though of why kawasaki renamed their entire sports range in the mid 90's? They even started to actively market the trade name Ninja instead of the actual model names (because they fear that ZX-6R, ZX-7R and ZX-10R are associated with the ZXR 750).

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

My Dad has a 1990 ZX10.

I had a ZX81. Does that count?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

i started her fine, took a bit of work but i got her started, but after i did some thorough checking decided this car wasnt gonna be worth it, too many rust spots that i could literally punch thru, too much work. It was a fun weekend project tho.

-----

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Drain fuel system and put a gallon of high grade fuel with octane boost

I wouldn't waste my money. Just put in whatever the car calls for, and call it a day. Putting in higher grade fuel than you need to only wastes your money.

Quote:

Start the car while on hoist and let it run until fan kicks in.

Why?

Quote:

Flush fuel injector and put in a new fuel filter.

New fuel filter probably isn't necessary. On most cars I've seen, it's not a scheduled maintenance item either.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

BAF said:

New fuel filter probably isn't necessary. On most cars I've seen, it's not a scheduled maintenance item either.

You should always change it on older cars when you get it. You don't know how well the previous owner treated the car. And once I owned it, I'd change it every five years or so while I'm doing some other car-related maintenance.

-----sig:

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Yes, but it doesn't really matter how the previous owner treated it. There isn't any benefit to changing the filter out unless it's clogged or something and causing problems. Like I said, I've never seen a car that actually schedules maintenance on the filter, the schedule always just says 'replace as necessary.'

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=replace+fuel+filter+every+*+miles&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

I see 10k (diesel), 15k, 30k, 45k, 50k, "60k (or four years)." Not a single one says 100,000 or 250,000 miles.

It's preventative maintenance. Replace it while you already have the car apart and forget about it. It beats not replacing it and having it clog go out while you're driving, or slowly die and you have to diagnose what is wrong with your car.

It's not like it costs $100. I put around $60 into my car on just oil every 3000-5000 miles.

Air filters are ones you can eye ball. But you still might as well change it every several years to be on the safe side.

-----sig:

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Well I suppose since he's given up I can stick my two cents in. Tires suffer from dry rot, supposedly ozone and ultraviolet attack the rubber. This takes several years to occur. Cracks can be seen when the sidewall flexes, otherwise I'd leave them alone. Flushing coolant and oil change is a good idea. Using distilled water instead of tap water for coolant is a plus. If you can easily see light through an air filter when holding it up to an artificial light it's generally good enough (carburated cars were very sensitive to plugged air filters, as if the choke were on). Idling it until the fan kicks in is probably a good idea in case there's corrosion or something that a fuel or other leak happens. Brakes should be ok if you can stand on them without the pedal going down, if the rotors have light rust it won't hurt the pads. Ten years ago (in US at least) gas would go stale and clog everything in the heat of a North Carolina summer, I haven't heard of this for awhile, and it probably wouldn't occur in Canada IMO. But the volatiles have evaporated, and you want to at least add fresh gas. If you can blow air through a fuel filter with your mouth enough to survive, it's probably good enough, but if you can barely blow anything through it, it's killing the fuel pump even if the engine runs fine (extra work since the pressure regulator is on the other side). Make sure you install a fuel filter with the arrow in the direction of flow, there's a screen inside that catches particles of paper filter that will mess stuff up, and if it's backwards the screen's on the wrong side.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Go to: