Member #302
April 2000

Yeah, In a disgusting Le Corbusier kind of way. :P

You don't deserve my sig.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

@bam

Regarding the credit, I agree with you absolutely. That's virtually the thing I think about about going in debt and especially going in debt and paying interest rates. However, there are two "but"s:

1. Every single USD(and vast majority of all other currencies), is actually taken in to debt by someone, and someone has to pay interest rate for it.

2. With the current state of economy in the U.S(and the western world as whole), there is an issue of people "unwilling to buy", and U.S. production abilities standing(not sure when did I check that last time, a month or so ago) at around 70% of their abilities(vs ~85% considered "normal"), which is because there's more supply than demand. So what the country wants from people, is them actually to buy. For that purpose it has made cheap USD(you can take cheap credit, which won't be too expensive to pay off, if returned relatively fast). So, by taking a credit to buy stuff you can kinda feel good about yourself helping the world to overcome the crisis + you can enjoy the benefit of cheap money for yourself. Kind of, it's a good time to "allow yourself more than you can afford".

@jhuuskon

Awesome place. I envy you, though it maybe just my love for the northern nature.
I've no idea what's the prices are, but relatively cheap overall. However, various cute places like this, which are near big cities, often cost same or even more than places in these cities themselves. P.S: We're paying 3 000 ILS for a ~110 square meters in an apartment in a 120 000 people city, which is actually cheap(it's a good place in that city, but terrible apartment).

Append:
3000 Israeli shekels = 824.53800 U.S. dollars
110 (square meters) = 1 184.03015 square feet

(c) Google

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

type568 said:

2. With the current state of economy in the U.S(and the western world as whole), there is an issue of people "unwilling to buy", and U.S. production abilities standing(not sure when did I check that last time, a month or so ago) at around 70% of their abilities(vs ~85% considered "normal"), which is because there's more supply than demand. So what the country wants from people, is them actually to buy. For that purpose it has made cheap USD(you can take cheap credit, which won't be too expensive to pay off, if returned relatively fast). So, by taking a credit to buy stuff you can kinda feel good about yourself helping the world to overcome the crisis + you can enjoy the benefit of cheap money for yourself. Kind of, it's a good time to "allow yourself more than you can afford".

I'm not so sure that I agree with that. That sounds like the artificial solution to sweep it under the rug and pretend that things are fine. It might have a positive affect on the economy (though I have my doubts), but I imagine it's at the consumer's expense still. I would be slow to enter into any such deals anyway. Make sure there are no strings, etc.

The main problem with credit is that you're spending money before you have it. That's true regardless of interest rates. The problem is that once you do have that money it's already been spent. Either you go without for a while to pay your debts or you pay off your old debt and take on a new one (or you take the approach that too many seem to take and you take on a new debt without paying off the old debt...). I think it's better to just go without up front, save up the cash, and spend it when you're sure that you want to. You avoid spending extra on interest and other fees and get to decide to spend the money when you have it in hand. Otherwise, you could end up finding something better to spend the money on, but it will be too late because you've already promised it to a creditor.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Well, of course. I agree with it, as I stated before. Although spending before you have it, will also bring the pleasure of using something before you can afford it. It won't necessary be useless the time it's paid off, more than that in most cases the idea is it to be available and at your service still.

Although it's clearly more pleasant to pay cash, rather than go in debt. I'm just pointing out, that the alternative is more seductive today than ever before(and probably after).

Append:
1. It doesn't mean I encourage anyone to take credit.
2. Money that is spent, isn't necessarily gone- e.g. purchase of a long-living item, means you still have that wealth you spent on buying it. Yet, assuming you do not pay much extra, you enjoy using that item earlier, and overall it'll serve you longer(in certain cases, e.g: a bought home).

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

type568 said:

there is an issue of people "unwilling to buy"

Don't worry, bambam doesn't fall into that category.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Don't worry, bambam doesn't fall into that category.

You might want to sit down. :-X I finished off the bed with Tempur-Pedic pillows. :P Those were each about $215. :( I only have 5 days to decide if I want to exchange those. They do seem pretty comfortable though so hopefully I won't have to... :'(

I'm done spending money now. I promise. :-[

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Well, looks like ML knows you fairly well.. Way better than do I at least(and taking into consideration I only know you're a dark/night elf, I don't know much about you)..

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

type568 said:

Well, looks like ML knows you fairly well.. Way better than do I at least(and taking into consideration I only know you're a dark/night elf, I don't know much about you)..

ML just remembers all of the "poor" purchases I have made in the past:

• ~$500 + tax for an OpenMoko Neo FreeRunner, which was supposed to be a completely free hardware/software cell phone platform, but the hardware was imperfect and lagged behind modern offers and the operating system never really became stable. This is probably the worst purchase I have made[1].

• ~$500 + tax for an EeePC 1000, which is a netbook that runs a custom Linux distribution. It works fine and is occasionally very convenient (in particular, it came in handy when I was dog sitting for my aunt/uncle), but most of the time I don't use it so I could have gone without it and wouldn't have missed it.

• ~$700 + tax on a Yamaha DGX-530 keyboard. I don't really consider this a waste of money as I do occasionally play with it and enjoy it very much and I would very much like to learn to play it. Having it is better than not having it and if it lasts me years of enjoyment then the money will be insignificant.

I've also spent a lot of money on PlayStation products, especially PlayStation 3 products, but I don't consider those a waste as I get lots of enjoyment out of them, even though they can be expensive at times. I got an original North American/NTSC 60 GB model for something like $550 + tax approximately one year after the original release. Since I have bought two extra controllers for it (~$50-60/each), replacing malfunctioning ones, one ~$70 Bluetooth keyboard w/ trackpad, one ~$60 [official] Bluetooth headset[2], two ~$60 Move wands, one ~$30 Move navigation controller, one ~$40 PlayStation Eye, one ~$20 Blu-Ray Disc remote, one ~$10 10 foot (~3 m) USB -> mini-USB cable for charging, and one ~$30 Move charging dock. That on top of about 10 ~$60 games. Gaming is an expensive hobby, but it's worth it over all. I've spent a lot of time playing PlayStation 3 and enjoyed nearly every minute of it. I've unfortunately bought into a couple of not-very-good games this generation, but at least they weren't complete losses.

I think that's about it... Ish... :-X Well, not counting all of my apartment purchases, but those are practically necessary (the entertainment stand went less than perfect, but still performs its functions). I could live without them or could spend a lot more time shopping around for them, or at least could live with less expensive alternatives, but I think (read: hope) that the convenience and comfort of having them will pay off.

References

1. Or at least the worst public one. :-X
  2. Technically the headset was "free", but it came with SOCOM: Confrontation, which is a poor excuse for a SOCOM game (was made by a different studio) and has therefore not been played since release.
Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Would you like to be the first person to pay for a premium a.cc membership? It costs $19.95/month. You get access to free support via forums and a custom moniker ("sucker"). 8-)

I might hit the Black Friday sales and try to score myself a few discounted appliances. BAF, if you'd like a discounted premium membership, let me know. You just have to camp outside Sears for a few hours and secure an oven or two.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Would you like to be the first person to pay for a premium a.cc membership? It costs $19.95/month. You get access to free support via forums and a custom moniker ("sucker"). 8-)

Sell him a license for the Allegro library for a mere $100, with $50 upgrades for minor version increases.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

@kabam
What's ur salary?
@ML
I thought the library's licence said it was free..

Append:
@bamca

You said 20USD for a blue ray remote (o0), means you're watching movies.. So get over here and suggest me somethin' to watch.

Thanks.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

BAF, if you'd like a discounted premium membership, let me know.

:P

So, I can score you Black Friday deals to get a Black Friday discount on a.cc premium? Can I turn around and sell that discount to bambam? *cough*

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

type568 said:

I thought the library's licence said it was free..

In a nutshell, Allegro 5's license only prohibits you from claiming you wrote the software and removing the license text from a source distribution. So I could easily rename al_ to ml_, create a binary version of the library, and sell it for $1,000 to bambam. 8-)

Note to self: do that.

But anyway, I was offering him a premium membership on a.cc, which has nothing to do with any of that.

BAF said:

So, I can score you Black Friday deals to get a Black Friday discount on a.cc premium? Can I turn around and sell that discount to bambam? cough

Well, I was thinking about giving you $1 off per month. You could maybe sell that to him for $5/month. :-X

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Rename it to AllegroPro. He'd buy it up in a heartbeat. 8-)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I'm writing a program to load WaveFront OBJECT files for 3d models, and just yesterday learned that .
Facebook is going to trademark the word "face". Now I have to rewrite the damn thing. :'(

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

You know, I can understand Apple tradmarking the lowercase 'i' followed by uppercase something in all their iStuff - it's a unique brand identification.

but what the hell would Facebook do with "Face"? Facechips? Facephone?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

You know, I can understand Apple tradmarking the lowercase 'i' followed by uppercase something in all their iStuff - it's a unique brand identification.

Years ago computer whiz Robert Collins was getting harassed by Intel (e.g. i80386) for using lowercase 'i's on his web pages.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

type568 said:

@kabam
What's ur salary?

None of your damn business.[1] >:(

References

1. xV> ?@E D2=2C:65[ 3FE x >2<6 23@FE rpsSb____^J62C[ xx#r]
van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

Hi BAF, how are you doing today?

Thanks

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I'm writing a program to load WaveFront OBJECT files for 3d models, and just yesterday learned that .
Facebook is going to trademark the word "face" [news.yahoo.com]. Now I have to rewrite the damn thing.

It's only in the context of social networking though, e.g. to prevent someone setting up their own social network site called 'facedonkey.com'

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

bamccaig said:

xV> ?@E D2=2C:65[ 3FE x >2<6 23@FE rpsSb____^J62C[ xx#r]

Any hints.. Starting points?

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

I bet its ROT n. You're guess is good as mine as to which n it is. :P

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

No Arthur, it certainly isn't it.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Hi BAF, how are you doing today?

I waited in line all night, in the sleet and rain, in exchange for an a.cc premium membership. Anyone interested? I'll let it go cheap.... bambam?

Go to: