Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » UberBlox Minecraft Clone Or Something

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
UberBlox Minecraft Clone Or Something
m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

Hey cool game, I tried it just quickly. One thing that I noticed is that it didn't free it's memory when the server crashed but that could just be that the garbage collector didn't kick in right away.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

UberFoX
Member #12,314
October 2010

It didnt crash (not that i remember) although it just gets updated a lot (which causes an instant shutdown and reopen)

It frees memory whenever game is joined or left (although if u was forced out instantly it may not free the map until you join server again so it can create a new one)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Wait, so a new member creates a thread about an awesome game that is already pre-beta? :-/ I don't understand... :-[

I dub thee a Wednesday thread!

UberFoX said:

• It will be FREE! (although we have a very small team and any donates would be greatly appreciated!)

Have you guys discussed the licensing model? Will the source code be released with an open source license? :) I don't really like to run binaries from the Internet unless they're from a trusted source (no offense[1] :P), but I would like to try this game out.

It looks like you guys have done a lot of work. I'm thoroughly impressed. Just a piece of advice: Allegro.cc will destroy your motivation to develop games. The last game completed by anybody here was in 1852. :(

References

1. October 2010
UberFoX
Member #12,314
October 2010

Well you can test if you want.

All we wanted was either script support or source to minecraft so we could extent it a bit and make nice great mods for community but that will never happen.

It will never be moddable.

So we decided to make our own game to get what we wanted and its working out quite well we have now got everything + a lot more from our old MC server +its functions.

Now that we have that we are adding all functions we dreamed notch would one day add but never did...

Is it a MC Clone? sure
What is its purpose? to finally be able to mod and create all new stuff that was impossible before
Why is it free and not commercial? Its purely for fun people can say all kinda of clone crap (and considering its only a month old it should look quite clonish) but once its finished it will have stuff that people only ever dreamed of with minecraft.

Since that was the original idea... If you cant mod any parts in your pc what do you? You get a pc where you CAN mod parts in it... Concept applies :)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Sorry dude, I totally beat you to it. 8-)

{"name":"602460","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/e\/6ef7d34c582b02232d43774f15b75ced.jpg","w":816,"h":638,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/e\/6ef7d34c582b02232d43774f15b75ced"}602460

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

UberFoX
Member #12,314
October 2010

That doesnt look like a beat in any way.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

UberFoX said:

Ever heard of humour?

Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

That's definitely impressive. I think you should really focus on the CTF, deathmatch etc. aspects of the game. Simplified in-game logic control (logic gate blocks or maybe even really simple if, then, else blocks) would probably add a lot to maps.

deps
Member #3,858
September 2003

When did notch say minecraft will never be moddable? afaik he's very open to modding minecraft, and he listens a lot to the community.

---
Layers are good, all good things have layers, like onions. Good things also stink. - Trezker
I now have a page and a blog!

UberFoX
Member #12,314
October 2010

Notch idea of modding is changing texture palette he allows for NO true modding of the client... No adding new functions to client, NO adding new monsters to client, NO adding new concepts and new game modes.........

Hes strongly protective of letting anybody near his code he wont even release code to classic which he said he will scrap later once alpha takes off fully.

Quote "That's definitely impressive. I think you should really focus on the CTF, deathmatch etc. aspects of the game. Simplified in-game logic control (logic gate blocks or maybe even really simple if, then, else blocks) would probably add a lot to maps"

This is planned yea we already have full animation of pictures and construction animation many more scriptable stuff will be added.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

UberFoX said:

Quote "That's definitely impressive. I think you should really focus on the CTF, deathmatch etc. aspects of the game. Simplified in-game logic control (logic gate blocks or maybe even really simple if, then, else blocks) would probably add a lot to maps"

Are you sure you're the author? I'd expect that someone who could code that sort of project would be able to quote correctly (especially since you already have once in this thread).

deps
Member #3,858
September 2003

UberFoX said:

Notch idea of modding is changing texture palette he allows for NO true modding of the client... No adding new functions to client, NO adding new monsters to client, NO adding new concepts and new game modes.........

He has also talked about letting people mod the servers using lua, and also by creating jar files that replaces methods in the server. This will allow people to add more game types to the game. I cannot remember any tweet or blogpost about modding the client, except for the textures, but I have also not seen a tweet or blog post about NOT letting people mod the client. Where does he clearly say that he don't want to add client mods? And all the source will be released in the future. His page says so.

---
Layers are good, all good things have layers, like onions. Good things also stink. - Trezker
I now have a page and a blog!

UberFoX
Member #12,314
October 2010

Minecraft server is a VERY simple thing.. Its easy to write your own from scratch........

The issue is the client and notch aint letting you mod the client code....

His page says sources will be released when game is dead and nobody is buying it and its finished.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

UberFoX said:

That is true. But you haven't seen the newest version!!!

{"name":"602477","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/e\/9ef933909854ee3365574401cc5788a9.jpg","w":816,"h":638,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/e\/9ef933909854ee3365574401cc5788a9"}602477

It's got amazing per-pixel cloud simulation! It actually takes hours for my tools to render the clouds properly into 3-D bitmaps and then compress them using my proprietary compression format. I spent the last two weeks on the rendering pipeline though and it runs at a blazing 60 fps on my GeForce 2!

UberFoX said:

Hes strongly protective of letting anybody near his code he wont even release code to classic which he said he will scrap later once alpha takes off fully.

You sound bitter. In actuality, once the game is finished it will be extensively mod-able. Currently what you see is
prepurchasesplash.gif.

A public alpha. Which is hardly something to make judgements on as an end product. If you were to logically analyse it, then you should probably take a look at the amount of software development progress he has had in the last year (and the financial and popular success of the past 6 months.)

As for your game, I do hope it works out well for you!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I think the work UberFoX has done is impressive; at least from what I see in that YouTube video. I like it, and congratulate you on your progress so far. You should probably put together a simple website where people can learn about your project and download it.

UberFoX said:

source to minecraft

The source code to Minecraft is freely available. ;)

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Chris Katko: That image doesn't look very realistic to me, unless you'll stipulate you can build a brick house in low earth orbit.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Chris Katko: That image doesn't look very realistic to me, unless you'll stipulate you can build a brick house in low earth orbit.

Well considering the physics in my game are perfect on an atomic scale as long as we stay within the realm of Newtonian validity (velocities far less than 3 x 10^8 m/s), my game proves that you can! It's simply amazing! :o

Who would have thought that wood was impermeable enough to stop air molecules from leaking into space!

{"name":"602479","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/9\/19269702e49a03d4bdf5ae79f900b10c.png","w":816,"h":638,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/9\/19269702e49a03d4bdf5ae79f900b10c"}602479

Day 11 of my house boat's voyage into deep space.

-----sig:

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

MineCraft isn't modable? I swear I've seen a Portal mod for it where you can teleport between blue and orange blocks you make with a gun ....

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

UberFoX
Member #12,314
October 2010

Portal mod is a very common server function of custom servers such as McZall which i already stated making server mods is easy =).

As for source code is free with java decompiler that is incorrect notch wont be stupid enough to not bother protecting his code even if its just obfuscated to extreme.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

UberFoX said:

As for source code is free with java decompiler that is incorrect notch wont be stupid enough to not bother protecting his code even if its just obfuscated to extreme.

You seem to take personally the fact that Notch hasn't made his game exactly as you want it. It's his game, he can make it however he likes. Lighten up, dude, and be happy with the awesome work you've done. Frankly, I'm impressed by your video, it's certainly more than I've ever done!

UberFoX
Member #12,314
October 2010

How silly can you be.

You acting like people shouldn't do something if it was already done by somebody else!

So what if i make a game for fun and learning and to make it what i want to play this type of game? Why is it such a big deal for you that you have to mock it so much since it just happens to be similar to something else?

You act like we should just accept the SINGLE version of a game in existence and DON'T ALLOW anything else!

Imagine if the ONLY fps in the whole world was the Quake series and thats it nothing else end of story. And anybody making an FPS would get mocked and insulted since OMG it copies Quake :P

Then imagine that for ALL game genres.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

We're not complaining about your project. We're complaining about your complaining against Notch. Can't you just make your own game without ranting about his?

On the topic of games that are only one series, I would love to see a clone of Heroes of Might and Magic 3 open source and Linux friendly. Mostly because the original keeps crashing in wine and even though I've read claims there's a Linux version of it I just can't find the damn thing.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Trezker said:

We're not complaining about your project. We're complaining about your complaining against Notch. Can't you just make your own game without ranting about his?

^this^

I'm not complaining about your game at all, UberFoX. In fact, I think it's a pretty good accomplishment. I just don't like the interspersing of hate towards another developer who I'm also impressed with.

UberFoX
Member #12,314
October 2010

I dont hate notch, i hate the people who claim hes god etc and spam utube, e-mail, website ;D

However i do agree Notch is not doing what he could be doing... Maybe he will get his act together soon enough and actually do what hes capable of doing.

I personally hope the client+server gets an SDK where can create full total conversions/mods whateva.

At the moment thats not possible and thats one reason im making my own game.

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

UberFoX said:

+ a lot more from our old MC server

Which MC server are you using to develop your code?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

1   2   3   4 

Go to: