Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » More Minecraft!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
More Minecraft!
Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Notch released a bunch of new stuff last night. Pressure plates, levers, buttons, and some weird red stuff that acts like a wire when placed on the ground. After starting a new save my first goal was to dig down to the bottom of the map in search of this red stuff. The result was three full stacks of 64. Plus a bunch of iron, gold, and diamond. I think I'll be digging down to the bottom of the map more often. ;D

Has anyone else tried the new stuff yet? I made a land mine by placing TNT in the ground and putting a pressure plate over it. I also made an automatic door by putting pressure plates on both sides. And I discovered that dropped items can activate the pressure plates (I did a lot of experimenting with those pressure plates). Tomorrow I think I might try wiring up some explosives. I haven't tested whether the red stuff "wires" can activate TNT.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I haven't played in so long. It's about time to try it out again. :D I'm happy to see that there is now a self-updating download so you can play offline. Awesome. Unfortunately, it won't run on my EeePC that I'm using right now. It only achieves at most 7 FPS and when I actually try to interact with it it drops to like 1. :P Oh well, I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight. :D

GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

I was actually gonna post this in a separate thread but since a gaming thread is already open:

Go play Fault Line

If I start to think about how this game was possibly coded, my head starts to hurt. In Flash, no less.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

Quote:

Go play Fault Line [www.nitrome.com]

Looks cool, although the controls are awkward since Im right handed and my arrow keys are on the right side of the key board along with my mouse.

In Flash, no less.

Thats another thing. Why do people put such monumental effort to make a game on such a shit development standard. It could be better with Java, although I prefer allegro or some other engine with C++. :-/

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I was actually gonna post this in a separate thread but since a gaming thread is already open:

Go play Fault Line

If I start to think about how this game was possibly coded, my head starts to hurt. In Flash, no less.

Sweet, that one does run on my Eee! Though the folding is a little difficult with a trackpad (for me especially because I almost never use them).

** EDIT **

I'm currently stuck on room 19. :)

verthex said:

Looks cool, although the controls are awkward since Im right handed and my arrow keys are on the right side of the key board along with my mouse.

That problem was solved years ago. ;) It supports WASD so use those instead.

verthex said:

Thats another thing. Why do people put such monumental effort to make a game on such a shit development standard. It could be better with Java, although I prefer allegro or some other engine with C++. :-/

The only thing I don't like about Flash is its non-free licensing. In particular, that you have to pay hundreds of dollars to develop, at least in the feature rich studio. Also, it has poor support under Linux, though with 32-bit Redhat or Debian-based distributions it appears to be pretty easy to install now (as they have software repositories you can add).

Flash has advantages over Java. It's easier to install and update Flash on Windows-based machines. I suppose it's about the same whether Flash or Java on Linux (at best). It is improving though.

I imagine this game was a lot easier to write in Flash/ActionScript than it would have been in C or C++ and Allegro, etc. Probably a lot easier than writing it in Java too. Not to mention, with the C/C++ version, you'd have to worry about cross-compiling and writing platform independent code and installation on various systems, etc. It's a whole lot easier to distribute software over the Web.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

I coded a few things in Flex, which is Adobe's Flash with libraries for doing application development. The development environment was free when I did it, and I actually found the whole process to be rather pleasant.

On topic, I started up a new level on Minecraft to test out all the new things. Waterfalls and minecarts are fun. Automated doors are amazing. I'm building a castle on top of a mountain, just a hair above the cloud layer. It'll hopefully have a minecart that runs all the way to the bottom ;D

EDIT:

bamccaig said:

It's a whole lot easier to distribute software over the Web.

QFT. Minecraft is a great example.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I found a huge floating island, big enough for a full-sized castle to be built on it. It's about a day of walking south of my starting position.

I'm thinking of mining a bunch of obsidian later and redoing the entire castle in it. I know were a whole bunch is (ran water & lava while mining).

deps
Member #3,858
September 2003

Minecraft is finally Turing complete! :)
I wonder when the first "computer" will be shown. It can't be far off now.

EDIT:
7 segment display: Youtube video

---
Layers are good, all good things have layers, like onions. Good things also stink. - Trezker
I now have a page and a blog!

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

The developer is working on multiplayer mode this week. It'd be cool to have an allegro server or something :)

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The developer is working on multiplayer mode this week. It'd be cool to have an allegro server or something :)

YES! \o/ Is he actually releasing the server software though? :o Or do you just expect there to be some kind of matching mechanism?

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

bamccaig said:

YES! \o/ Is he actually releasing the server software though? :o Or do you just expect there to be some kind of matching mechanism?

I think he is... He did for the Creative Multiplayer mode. His latest blog post says that he is making the server scriptable so people can create their own plugins and such.

I’m designing it to have an open API and to be pluginable, so you will be able to write your own game mods, or automated chat monitors, or whatever else, all in java. The exact API isn’t decided on yet, but it’ll be as easy as putting your class files (either in a jar, or as straight files) in the same dir as the server, then telling it what “mod” to load in the properties file. I’m also thinking about how to chain mods, so you can load several at once, like a chat moderator mod and a spleef game mode mod.

deps
Member #3,858
September 2003

Notch is also a very fast coder, so I would not be surprised if the multiplayer code is 50% done by now.

EDIT:

Notch said:

I’ve now got an UDP framework up and running that supports automatic compression, packet acking/resending, duplicate packet identification and skipping, and a method for ordering data that needs to be ordered (such as block changes) without having to wait for the latest data. If the game ever detects getting a block change in an area that happens before one that is already applied, it’ll apply the later changes again, in the correct order.

In my tests, I send 256 updates of various sizes to a 16*16 area with a 90% packet loss, and it works just fine, assembling the correct final image once all the packets have been resent enough times to actually get through.

This means that the most boring parts of the multiplayer development are now finished! I managed to squeeze it all into a single day of work, woo!

Maybe not 50%, but he's fast! ;)

---
Layers are good, all good things have layers, like onions. Good things also stink. - Trezker

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

I'm having a really hard time finding copper in the newest version. It makes building roller coasters a pain in the butt :'( But my castle in the sky is going well otherwise. Gonna try and make some ladder/stairs/minecart systems to help get to and from my mines.

I also wanna see if minecarts will fly through the air and land ...

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Billybob said:

I also wanna see if minecarts will fly through the air and land ...

I think they do. I'm pretty sure I saw it happen in a YouTube video.

Also, iron is harder to find than it used to be, but I dug down to the bottom of the map and found a cavern with all sorts of resources. I got slightly more than a full stack of iron.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I tried playing for the first time in a long time a couple of days ago. I had trouble building sticks, but that was because the lumber had to go through an in between phase first. I finally noticed this after looking really closely at the crafting guide. A 'how to get started' guide basically was full of advice from experienced players and they all basically said that the first thing you do in the alpha is make torches. This requires coal apparently (it's been so long many beers that I don't remember). So I found some coal, but when I actually dug up the blocks no coal was dropped! I dug through an entire deposit of probably 8 blocks of coal, but got nothing from it. Is this a bug or has this part of the gameplay changed? :-/

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

bamccaig said:

Is this a bug or has this part of the gameplay changed?

You have to use a pic-axe to get coal out of those blocks, otherwise you get nothing. I use this Crafting reference, and it shows explicitly that you need at least a wood pic-axe to mine coal.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Excellent. Thanks! Though I'm not sure about how explicitly it shows the need for a pick-axe. If I'm reading it the way you are then it also suggests that you need an axe for lumber, but I was clearly able to "chop" it by hand. :-/

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Good point. It seems to hold true for the pic axe related items, because I was unable to get gold without an Iron pic. But yeah, you can use your manly hands to rip apart trees just fine.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Billybob said:

But yeah, you can use your manly hands to rip apart trees just fine.

And punch wool off a sheep!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

And punch wool off a sheep!

So what do cowpunchers get?

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Why is it that I keep making tunnels through mountains?

deps
Member #3,858
September 2003

So what do cowpunchers get?

Everybody knows that cows is a myth... Together with horses. Made up to scare the children!

No, I punch my sheep and I ride my pigs, like god (notch) intended.

Edit:

Because you can? :)

---

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

It'd be rather silly to make a tunnel through a plain or valley.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

It'd be rather silly to make a tunnel through a plain or valley.

I do that too, to connect my mountain-tunnels together. :-/

It makes sense, because I have more stone than I know what to do with, and I don't want mobs getting into my tunnels!

Go to: