Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Wacom doodle!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Wacom doodle!
Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

Finally I bought a Wacom tablet, I couldn't regret more for not buying one of these before, this is the one I got, the Bamboo Pen And Touch:

{"name":"wacom-bamboo-pen-touch.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/3\/63f2885074b085ce123fc0c4b0073b50.jpg","w":500,"h":281,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/3\/63f2885074b085ce123fc0c4b0073b50"}wacom-bamboo-pen-touch.jpg

With twice pressure levels (1024) of the old Bamboo models, this new tablet seemed to be the best choice I could afford.

First doodle:

{"name":"601631","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/9\/f95f4506c511d826bd33c38b8f00e623.png","w":600,"h":450,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/9\/f95f4506c511d826bd33c38b8f00e623"}601631

It's been a long time since we had a doodle thread! :)

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

That's a nice drawing. I have a tablet but I can't draw. I use it for modifications mostly. Rough drawing and move things around, fixing pixels here and there.

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

I also have a tablet and can't draw. :P

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

My tablet has been unused for something like five years now. I just can't give up my pencils ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

I have a Bamboo Pen, i use it mostly for retouch work in photoshop... i'm no good at drawing :P

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Finally I bought a Wacom tablet, I couldn't regret more for not buying one of these before, this is the one I got, the Bamboo Pen And Touch

How big is it? I have a Wacom tablet too, and I can draw... but don't have the time :P

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Jones64
Member #10,718
February 2009

oh sweet! is it an A5 size tablet? Nice drawing too! :P
I bought a Wacom A5 size tablet once, never took the trouble to learn to use it properly :(

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Should I feel bad for being yet another case of someone who owns a tablet but never got around using it because it feels kind of unintuitive? :-/

Hey Jones64, I remember you, fixing that OpenLayer bug for ya. What have you been doing lately?

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Jones64
Member #10,718
February 2009

Dario ff said:

Should I feel bad for being yet another case of someone who owns a tablet but never got around using it because it feels kind of unintuitive?

hehe, join the club ;D

Quote:

Hey Jones64, I remember you, fixing that OpenLayer bug for ya. What have you been doing lately?

true, thanks a lot for that! I'm making progress slowly, but it's turning out quite nice and better than I expected :D The iso engine is pretty much done for now, might add some things later for weather and magic effects. I'm working on graphics and the level editor recently, which is so much work!
I was thinking to upload a new screenshot sometime, but couldn't find such a thing like member journals and thought it might be annoying to start a new thread everytime.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I have a tablet too, but it's difficult for me to draw and not look at where the tip of the pen is. :(

My avatar was created using my tablet.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Onewing said:

I have a tablet too, but it's difficult for me to draw and not look at where the tip of the pen is.

There are some very nice screen tablets where you actually see the drawing underneath the pen.
Not cheap, but very nice [1] [2]

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

My tablet has been unused for something like five years now. I just can't give up my pencils ...

5 years? Did you try the new generation of tables? For me it was exactly the opposite, as soon as I started to draw lines with the tablet I realized that I would never touch true pencils again.

SiegeLord said:

How big is it? I have a Wacom tablet too, and I can draw... but don't have the time :P

It's the small one 9.8" x 6.9" (249mm x 175mm), this is the perfect size! at least for me.

I have a tablet too, but it's difficult for me to draw and not look at where the tip of the pen is. :(

Then the Wacom Cintiq is for you! too bad is too expensive! I guess I am lucky, it took me just a few hours to get use to that.

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Hey that's nice, Paul.

Dario ff said:

another case of someone who owns a tablet but never got around using it because it feels kind of unintuitive? :-/

hmmm... could you elaborate?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

Dario ff said:

Should I feel bad for being yet another case of someone who owns a tablet but never got around using it because it feels kind of unintuitive? :-/

What tablet are you using? probably it has few pressure leves, that makes the whole difference, anything lower than 1024 probably is not enough for some tasks.

____

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

5 years? Did you try the new generation of tables? For me it was exactly the opposite, as soon as I started to draw lines with the tablet I realized that I would never touch true pencils again.

I'm sure the technology's come a ways but I haven't had occasion to investigate it in a long time. My focus is programming now and most of my art is pixel pushing. Even if I did buy the latest and greatest I don't have much use for it at the moment.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

This is what I don't do anything with.
{"name":"GN10-1158-a.JPG","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/7\/f795fcb1e784b1ac46d956944250d9d3.jpg","w":500,"h":500,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/7\/f795fcb1e784b1ac46d956944250d9d3"}GN10-1158-a.JPG

deps
Member #3,858
September 2003

I have one, but I rarely use it. The result is usually enough to make me put it away for another 6 months. :P

---
Layers are good, all good things have layers, like onions. Good things also stink. - Trezker
I now have a page and a blog!

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

This [www.tigerdirect.com] is what I don't do anything with.

Ditto. We're a sad, sad bunch.

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

More random doodles:

{"name":"601635","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/7\/07da24f66fb91c3e388cf6141f46662a.png","w":640,"h":457,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/7\/07da24f66fb91c3e388cf6141f46662a"}601635

{"name":"601636","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/e\/9e9d6cf19d9e88673a81c724d119edbe.png","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/e\/9e9d6cf19d9e88673a81c724d119edbe"}601636

____

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

What tablet are you using? probably it has few pressure leves, that makes the whole difference, anything lower than 1024 probably is not enough for some tasks.

I think it was a Genius tablet, and I can't check it right now(it's hidden somewhere, damn brother was a bit paranoid about it :-/). It probably didn't have much pressure levels.

I just don't find drawing in an external place than the screen(the paper) comfortable. I always got very lost with the cursor. But I guess that if I had practiced more with it, I could probably be drawing better with it now.

But most of my drawings nowadays consists of using selections or vector shapes, coloring, doing gradients, pushing some pixels here and there.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Finally I bought a Wacom tablet, I couldn't regret more for not buying one of these before, this is the one I got, the Bamboo Pen And Touch

Yay, I hope you'll have a lot of fun with it. Also, those first doodles of yours are a great start (I still haven't gotten used to using a tablet (pencils feel much more natural) but then again, I don't find much time for practice.

This thread inspired me to doodle a bit (looked much cooler in my head but well, the idea is captured at least :D ):
{"name":"601662","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/9\/1945a07a3fae5a6dc99823ea3427cc02.png","w":791,"h":598,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/9\/1945a07a3fae5a6dc99823ea3427cc02"}601662

Go to: