Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » maturityPoints++;

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
maturityPoints++;
Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

People are kind now because it will benefit them in the future.

But some people are kind now simply because they want to be kind now. I don't expect, and I rarely receive, and kind of future rewards for my kindness. But I still do it.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

But some people are kind now simply because they want to be kind now. I don't expect, and I rarely receive, and kind of future rewards for my kindness. But I still do it.

Just because you're kind to someone doesn't mean it'll end with some kind of reward. I've found that if I'm nice to someone, they expect me to do things for them later. Or, they feel like they owe me some debt and won't go away. And it only compounds from there.

More often than not, I get some kind of reward from being mean to people. ;D

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

The idea is to produce around you the environment you wanna be part of.
If you're to be naturally kind, it's to be inside you and will be somewhat intuitively visible to others. Your "reward" isn't necessarily to come from these specific people, it may do from completely other strangers. Has happened with me a lot during my life. Not to mention the people who are close..

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Altruism isn't really a sign of maturity. Small children can, and often are, kind for no reason. The two points I listed are traits which have been shown to not develop until later childhood (and never for some people).

Another two of signs of maturity are moderation and restraint. The two can often be tied together, e.g. it takes restraint to moderate one's drinking, but moderation can also mean increasing some activities, so the two do not always go hand and hand.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

LennyLen said:

Altruism isn't really a sign of maturity.

It is, however.. Must be done wisely. If you decide to donate your coat to a hobo, or give some $ to a Gypsy you should remember it's likely to decrease the odds they'll be willing to work, which may end up bad for'em.. The same thing applies to any other kind of help.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

type568 said:

It is, however.. Must be done wisely. If you decide to donate your coat to a hobo, or give some $ to a Gypsy you should remember it's likely to decrease the odds they'll be willing to work, which may end up bad for'em.. The same thing applies to any other kind of help.

In that case, it's the wisdom that is the sign of maturity, not the act of kindness. And since wisdom is the accumulation of knowledge, it's not surprising that wisdom is a sign of maturity.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

For most people who hold doors open, I think the reward is a simple smile.

If you want an attempt at a scientific explanation, here it is. We benefit as a group if we're nice to each other. (I think Derezo has a video on the subject.) We therefore evolved some instincts like a feeling of reward if someone smiles at us. We learn to do things that elicit smiles, since the smiles provide positive reinforcement for whatever elicited them.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

If you want an attempt at a scientific explanation, here it is. We benefit as a group if we're nice to each other. (I think Derezo has a video on the subject.) We therefore evolved some instincts like a feeling of reward if someone smiles at us. We learn to do things that elicit smiles, since the smiles provide positive reinforcement for whatever elicited them.

I like to use a machine analogy... if you consider society to be a machine, courtesy and small kindnesses are the lubricant that makes everything run smoother and reduce friction.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

If you want an attempt at a scientific explanation, here it is.

video

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Funniest thing is that it does make sense, and affects any of us more or less without us even noticing.

So.. That's it? Sign of maturity is wisdom? Practically, what else is there?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Wow, pretty much every point made in the description was followed by a [citation needed].

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

{"name":"wikipedia-cat.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/1\/71e3bf7ff5d720cb0a52824ca9b74346.jpg","w":489,"h":367,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/1\/71e3bf7ff5d720cb0a52824ca9b74346"}wikipedia-cat.jpg

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Quote:

Maturity is a psychological term used to indicate that a person responds to the circumstances or environment in an appropriate and adaptive manner. This response is generally learned rather than instinctive, and is not determined by one's age. Maturity also encompasses being aware of the correct time and place to behave and knowing when to act appropriately, according to the situation.

Aha.. That drags with it "different" maturities, varying from a culture to culture.. One grew up in Europe, is likely to be quite a child somewhere in Africa in an angry hungry mob with AK47s..

Quote:

Maturity is something of personal character, or how a person acts in stressful or difficult situations, because then a person's true ability to react to a situation can be seen. Fake social interactions are often misjudged as many people rely on outward appearance to mask inner strengths/weaknesses so as to present a simpler version of oneself to the world.

That's practically everywhere, all the time.. Including us here, although exceptions happen..

Something like that.
I should add a disclaimer to my thoughts or something. Or maybe I should sig a disclaimer if someone has one..

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

type568 said:

Aha.. That drags with it "different" maturities, varying from a culture to culture..

Yes, what people consider to be mature will vary. The only universal sign of maturity is age, but that's only physical maturity.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

LennyLen said:

Yes, what people consider to be mature will vary. The only universal sign of maturity is age, but that's only physical maturity.

I'd say even that one isn't really age ;)

ixilom
Member #7,167
April 2006

I don't like mustard.

1   2   3 

Go to: