Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » E3 2010

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
E3 2010
ngiacomelli
Member #5,114
October 2004

Seems portal 2 is now a mainstream game and not a series of puzzles.

Where do you get that impression? The videos I've seen show standard Portal-style puzzles. There will perhaps be a few more story-centric segments, but that's about it.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Seems portal 2 is now a mainstream game and not a series of puzzles.

I think he meant that Portal is now "cool" and "mainstream," and no longer has the appearance of being the small kid on the block.

I disagree with that, though.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

IonBlade said:

Someone asked about the new Mortal Kombat: some footage is floating around from ScrewAttack of the fatalities in the game, I've seen it, and damn they made me cringe, they're going as realistic as possible, unlike the last few MK games. Each character has their own individually modeled internal organs and skeletons which are actually present inside the characters during the fight,

Nice! Thanks for that! It's nice to see MK going back to be as goofy and gross as it was.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

[Cheap people prefer cheap systems... Lots of random disorganized numbers...]

Shock. ::) One thing you left out is that anyone that wants to watch Blu-Ray movies (likely anyone with an HDTV, which seems to be most people that I know) will need to buy a dedicated Blu-Ray player if they only get a Wii or 360. With a PS3, they can kill two birds with one stone. That's a savings of easily $100 (for a cheap model that probably can't be updated) to $200 or $300+ for a better model.

You're absolutely right that the Wii and 360 look like the better system to cheap people, but that's quite irrelevant to me, a hardcore gamer interested in getting the best system. The PS3 wins that hands down. It took some time for all of the cheap people of the world to see through the cheap gimmicks of the Wii and 360, but they've begun to. The PS3 is the better system. There's no doubt about that. It costs a little bit of money, but you get what you pay for. The 360 and Wii are cheaper because they're inferior. The PS3 is more powerful, more functional, and built much better. It's a far more pleasant experience.

The only thing the PS3 has really come up short on from a gamer's perspective is friends-based networking. That should improve with the paid-for networking service. That's probably going to be a killer for 360, unless Kinect is really as good as Microsoft wants us to believe. I still have my doubts.

axilmar said:

Is anybody else not thrilled by motion sensing systems? I'd prefer not to have a workout when I want to relax, playing a video game.

Most PS3 games should allow you to choose whether you want to use the motion controller or the regular controller. Some of them are apparently specific to the motion controller, but many or most should support traditional controls as well. I've heard that won't be the case for the 360, though I haven't even seen Microsoft demonstrate how you would play a 3rd person shooter with the Kinect, so maybe that'll just be limited to casual games anyway.

I wonder if maybe it will be good for gamers to get the exercise. Remember this thread? We already have the reflexes of a fighter jet pilot. Now we just need the bodies of one. :D I imagine that the exercise will be good for us, particular our hearts and lungs. Personally, my body is tuned for little physical exertion, which means that it doesn't take much to get me out of breath. Which is sad because I don't look out of shape. I'm pretty thin. It's probably from a lack of working my cardiovascular system.

Yea, seriously. It looks to me like a cheap gimmick, not an actual revolution in gameplay (like they make it out to be). It's just going to make you look goofy and feel silly.

Have you seen the SOCOM 4 demo? That actually looks quite cool. Assuming the navigation controller is easy to hold and use, it should make for a completely new gaming experience. And the fighting looks like it will be quite fun also. I'm also looking forward to sword fighting and archery and other ideas that have been demonstrated by Sony. There's a lot of potential there. Nintendo and Microsoft have been using it as a gimmick. Sony seems to be actually delivering on what we imagined it would be.

The videos I've seen show standard Portal-style puzzles. There will perhaps be a few more story-centric segments, but that's about it.

I think that's a good thing. I loved the story segments. The commentary from GLaDOS made that game so awesome. The puzzles were OK, but I think there's a lot more potential. Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be awesome.

I think he meant that Portal is now "cool" and "mainstream," and no longer has the appearance of being the small kid on the block.

I disagree with that, though.

Portal is mainstream. I think it always was. I don't see what's wrong with that...

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

bamccaig said:

Portal is mainstream. I think it always was. I don't see what's wrong with that...

It came as a little addon game in a pack of 4 other monster games - HL2, HL2:EP1, HL2:EP2, and Team Fortress. Now it's all growed up. That's all I think he was pointing out.

Quote:

And the fighting looks like it will be quite fun also.

That did look kinda fun...

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I'm looking forward to kirby on the wii. The style reminds me somewhat of paper mario.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Why the name "/Epic/ Yard" though? Couldn't they have pick a somewhat less boastful name? Then there's Epic Mickey. Considering the character and the vault of characters to use, that could justify the use of Epic in the title, but still.

Maybe Yard Kirby is like Paper Mario? We might see a series based on yard in the long run.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

A wild, grand story bordering on the unbelievable was once referred to as an "epic yarn". Hence, the title. That particular usage of the word "yarn" has fallen into relative disuse these days.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Perhaps Fabric Zelda and Glitter Metroid are next?

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Haha Wii vs PS3 argument all over again. Bambam never fails to deliver.

First of all, I don't see how Kinect is a bad name. It's no stupider than Natal was.

bamccaig said:

The only thing the PS3 has really come up short on from a gamer's perspective is friends-based networking. That should improve with the paid-for networking service.

Wa-wa-wa-wa-wait. I thought you fanboys always touted free online gameplay as a superiority of the PS3. Now you condone paying for it?

I also find it amusing that you, as expected, think that Sony's version is superior. Everything I've read has written off Move as being an "hd version of the Wii." This time around, Kinect is truly innovative - not requiring special controllers and what not.

I personally own all three systems. I rarely ever use the Wii (online play is a pain in the ass, and Wii is only fun for party gaming IMO), luckily other family members do so it wasn't a total waste. Other than that, I don't see too many differences between the 360 and the PS3 when it comes to actually playing the games. The XBox is louder, and has a superior controller layout, and the PS3 can play online for free and play blu-ray. Otherwise, the gaming experience on the two systems is pretty much the same.

bamccaig said:

According to Wikipedia, about USD$50 for the Move controller, USD$30 for the navigation controller, and IIRC I got my PlayStation Eye for a mere CAD$40 (probably two years ago, now). I'm sure the PlayStation Eye is shared by as many players as are supported so you should only need one of those. Besides, the PlayStation Move actually tracks your movements. It doesn't pretend to like the Wii. I'd be happy to pay extra for that, though I'm not convinced that you will be. Additionally, there are supposed to be kits to buy the whole package (and a game) for about USD$100.

The Wii is such a joke and always has been. The very first time I tried it I was bored of it within minutes. It doesn't track my movements and isn't fun.

Yet you talk down on Kinect, which tracks you as well. Only you don't have to hold some silly glowing controller.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

bamccaig said:

It took some time for all of the cheap people of the world to see through the cheap gimmicks of the Wii and 360

Which cheap gimmick does the 360 have? I haven't been utilizing it, apparently... :-/

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

BAF said:

Wa-wa-wa-wa-wait. I thought you fanboys always touted free online gameplay as a superiority of the PS3. Now you condone paying for it?

Sony said jump, the fanboys said how high. ;D

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

BAF said:

First of all, I don't see how Kinect is a bad name. It's no stupider than Natal was.

That's not a good defense. :-/

BAF said:

Basic functionality is still free. You can still play games and do everything you ever could. The paid-for service adds more things to that, which will probably be developed with the revenue from the subscriptions.

You can still play online for free with PlayStation! The stuff that it hasn't done well, like allowing you to communicate with friends across games, etc., are what is lacking and that I'm happy to pay for. Someone that doesn't need any of that though can just use the free service, which works plenty well for most everything else.

BAF said:

I also find it amusing that you, as expected, think that Sony's version is superior. Everything I've read has written off Move as being an "hd version of the Wii." This time around, Kinect is truly innovative - not requiring special controllers and what not.

We haven't actually seen the Kinect work. Not precisely. We've seen Microsoft demonstrate it, but everything they've shown can easily be done with camera tricks. I found it interesting that they were demonstrating casual games instead of more interesting game ideas. I honestly don't think controlling things with your body is going to be as fun as people imagine it to be. I think it'll more than likely prove to be poor at tracking people or easily confused and don't really expect Kinect to live up to anyone's expectations. We'll still have to wait and see though.

BAF said:

Yet you talk down on Kinect, which tracks you as well. Only you don't have to hold some silly glowing controller.

It allegedly tracks you. We'll have to wait and see. The Move is apparently responsive in less than a frame (has the same latency as the SIXAXIS/Dual Shock 3 controllers). I wonder what the Kinect will have.

Which cheap gimmick does the 360 have? I haven't been utilizing it, apparently... :-/

Well, the 360 for one. How many people had to send them away? Something like 40%? Many had to send them away multiple times! And they were still failing 3 years after launch! I don't even know if they've finally fixed that problem.

There's also Halo and Gears of War and.... These are not good games, IMHO. They're actually pretty watered down and crappy. Yet they're toted as huge games and the 360 gamers think they're the greatest ever... ::)

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

bamccaig said:

I found it interesting that they were demonstrating casual games instead of more interesting game ideas.

It's where the market's been heading ever since FarmVille matched World of Warcraft in userbase. I'd be shocked if they hadn't. Get with the times. :)

Not to praise any system over another, but I still don't see what that SOCOM game is doing that any random old Wii shooter doesn't. Honestly, give me specifics. I see NO difference.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I said:

I honestly don't think controlling things with your body is going to be as fun as people imagine it to be. I think it'll more than likely prove to be poor at tracking people or easily confused and don't really expect Kinect to live up to anyone's expectations. We'll still have to wait and see though.

As a matter of fact, I remember there being a skiing game available on PlayStation years ago. It was either PlayStation 3 with the PlayStation Eye or it was PlayStation 2 with the EyeToy. Microsoft isn't exactly the first to do it. They might be the first to do it well, but that has yet to be seen. I'm pretty sure the EyePet game is based on tracking players with the camera (without Move) so PlayStation is capable of it too. I would expect Microsoft's camera to be more technically capable (better resolution and speed) though because their entire system is based on it and to play decent games in real-time it'll need to be (and they're releasing it years later).

It's where the market's been heading ever since FarmVille matched World of Warcraft in userbase. I'd be shocked if they hadn't. Get with the times. :)

That's irrelevant. Those games can already be made with the Wii. That's what the Wii is good at. You don't need precise tracking for that audience. I want to see if the Kinect actually compares to the Move.

Not to praise any system over another, but I still don't see what that SOCOM game is doing that any random old Wii shooter doesn't. Honestly, give me specifics. I see NO difference.

Firstly, it's rated teen. ::) Secondly, it precisely tracks your movements. It isn't pretending to. :P

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

That Kinect thing must be awesome, its webpage even manages to crash Opera :o

Other than that, I'm only interested in the 3DS, which looks amazing.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

bam, why do you insist on quoting and putting the url manually? Your first quote confused me, like you were talking to yourself, but 23 saying that? Unless you actually used the <quote> feature alone and it was just a bug.

I'm pretty sure Kinect could benefit itself if it actually tried to let people do what they can't do in real life since there are risks. Well done fighting games are an option for example. Beating the crap out of somebody by making good moves in a game can be fun, as there's no risk of you actually getting your ass kicked and being hurt.

Also, IIRC, we've been able to point a gun to the screen and fire from a long time ago. ;)

{"name":"zapper_nes.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/5\/f55bc1719a8eee14699aca2311eff2a6.jpg","w":400,"h":292,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/5\/f55bc1719a8eee14699aca2311eff2a6"}zapper_nes.jpg

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Dario ff said:

bam, why do you insist on quoting and putting the url manually? Your first quote confused me, like you were talking to yourself, but 23 saying that? Unless you actually used the <quote> feature alone and it was just a bug.

My manual quoting is more reliable than Allegro.cc's automatic quoting. I do occasionally make mistakes. I use my own JavaScript "library" (see sig) to save me effort and make it more reliable, but it still requires a little bit of manual editing at the moment which introduces human error. Usually, it requires me to copy the opening quote tag that is generated once so that multiple quotes from the same post work. Occasionally, I also have to rearrange the order if I appended them out of order. On rare occasion I screw it up. :P

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

bamccaig said:

Well, the 360 for one. How many people had to send them away? Something like 40%? Many had to send them away multiple times! And they were still failing 3 years after launch! I don't even know if they've finally fixed that problem.

I think they did fix that, but my roommate still went through about four used Xboxes and is now paranoid of even laying game cases on top of his current one. Yes, it's a major problem with the 360. But, and here's the bit that makes my point still stand, it is not a "cheap gimmick". It's a design flaw.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

But, and here's the bit that makes my point still stand, it is not a "cheap gimmick". It's a design flaw.

That happening with the original release model is a design flaw. It happening for 3+ years before Microsoft fixed it (if they fixed it) suggests to me that the 360 is cheap and nothing more than a gimmick.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I thought I read that the Xbox 360 failures were the result of the lead free solder growing "spines" upon thermal cycling, causing short circuits. There was a thread about it.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

bamccaig said:

That's irrelevant. Those games can already be made with the Wii.

Um, that's irrelevant. The market is going casual and anyone not on board is losing out on money, period. Saying the games can be made on the Wii is like saying Microsoft doesn't need to make money because Nintendo does that already. Microsoft would like money. Hence, casual games. I suppose the Wii didn't even need to make casual games because FaceBook does that already, but if they took that strategy they wouldn't be making the money they are, either.

Quote:

Firstly, it's rated teen. ::)

This is usually a point against in my experience. If the system has to hide behind a rating then stop saying they're innovating. Just say "It's like Wii, but with some dirty language, guns, and occasional side-boob." That would be more honest.

Quote:

Secondly, it precisely tracks your movements. It isn't pretending to. :P

The fact that the Wii took three years to get it right is pretty embarrassing, I think we can all agree on that. But it tracks your movements now and that video is still showing me the same gameplay experience the Wii has been delivering for three years. Saying it's different is like saying the PlayStation is better because it runs on chocolate. I'm not seeing that translated into a superior player experience. I asked you for specifics as far as these supposed innovations go, because all I see is just another FPS married to three-year-old technology. I'm sure it's a fine game, but let's keep some perspective here.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

bamccaig said:

That happening with the original release model is a design flaw. It happening for 3+ years before Microsoft fixed it (if they fixed it) suggests to me that the 360 is cheap and nothing more than a gimmick.

Gimmick: A clever ploy or strategy. A trick or device to reach some end.

Unless Microsoft set out to deliberately piss off thousands of their own customers, the Xbox 360's failure is not a gimmick.

Now, can we agree to your poor word choice and go on to the part where I don't disagree that the Xbox 360's failure is a terrible mark against the system?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The fact that the Wii took three years to get it right is pretty embarrassing, I think we can all agree on that. But it tracks your movements now and that video is still showing me the same gameplay experience the Wii has been delivering for three years.

I haven't personally used the MotionPlus yet, but I've heard professional reviewers say that it still wasn't tracking their movements perfectly. It was better than a raw Wiimote, but barely.

I asked you for specifics as far as these supposed innovations go, because all I see is just another FPS married to three-year-old technology. I'm sure it's a fine game, but let's keep some perspective here.

See above. On top of that, I find the Wiimote to be very blocky (it reminds me of the original NES controller, which for its day was awesome, but nowadays it feels so horribly uncomfortable). I'm expecting the Move and corresponding navigation controller to be much more pleasant to use. And I expect there to be a lot more adult titles for the PlayStation obviously, which is good for me; an adult. You have fun though with Mario and Zelda. :-/

Unless Microsoft set out to deliberately piss off thousands of their own customers, the Xbox 360's failure is not a gimmick.

Except that their customers aren't pissed off. That's the clever part. Those idiots don't even mind! :o

1   2   3   4 

Go to: