An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

Go Australia!

(and Optometry woo!)

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Judging by the performance I say England will be lucky to get past the next round and USA might even beat us to first place.

Still, you have to admire the support. The voice of the stadium singing the national anthem and the amount of england flags brings a tear to the eye. Pity the team never match the level of support.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

OICW said:

Now this is football(NSFW) I'd care to watch.

Where's the video?! :o Something tells me that a game like that isn't done justice with stills. ;D

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

I don't normally care about football in the least, but there's just something about this yeBBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

All the non-South Africans I know are complaining about the racket. ;D That's the way it's always been in SA, and that's what you get for watching a kaffir's peasant's sport. :P

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Still, you have to admire the support.

That's why it's great fun to cheer against the English. It's your number one sport, and you cannot beat a nation that struggles to host a professional league.

American sports are probably ranked something like this, in terms of revenue / fanbase:

1. NFL (American football)

2. NBA (basketball)

3. MLB (baseball)

4. NCAA football (college)

5. NCAA basketball (college)

6. NASCAR (stock car racing)

7. WWE (wrestling)

8. NHL (hockey)

9. WNBA (women's basketball)

10. WPDL (watching paint dry league)

11. MLS (soccer)

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

I'm a bit late, but...

WE WIN!!!!111!! :D

--
sig used to be here

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

1. NFL (American football)

2. NBA (basketball)

3. MLB (baseball)

4. NCAA football (college)

5. NCAA basketball (college)

6. NASCAR (stock car racing)

7. WWE (wrestling)

8. NHL (hockey)

9. WNBA (women's basketball)

10. WPDL (watching paint dry league)

11. MLS (soccer)

I think you're greatly underestimating NASCAR. The money involved is huge. Sponsors pay millions of dollars per season just to be featured on the cars and drivers in the Sprint Cup series. The smaller logos that are only on a side panel, etc., are even hundreds of thousands of dollars. Having a winning car in NASCAR is a huge advantage for automotive manufacturers. In the 60s, NASCAR pretty much defined cars, to the point where the Dodge Charger, and probably most other muscle cars of the era, were pretty much made specifically for NASCAR. Today, the cars are far more similar to one another and strictly controlled, but even today it directly translates to sales to have your model name on the track (which is probably why Toyota has joined in).

NASCAR is one of the most viewed professional sports in terms of television ratings in the United States. In fact, professional football is the only sport in the United States to hold more viewers than NASCAR.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

bamccaig said:

I think you're greatly underestimating NASCAR.

Its fanbase is less diverse and more concentrated than the other sports, but in terms of total numbers, I'm sure it rivals and/or beats the top four team sports.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Neat. 4:0 vs Australia.:)

gonzoMD
Member #9,881
June 2008

DEUTSCHLAND!!!! yeah we beat the aussies. :)

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

To make it more fair, you should have to play with 7 players and no goaltender in the first round.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Dennis said:

It is not just you. It's very annoying and I hope they'll ban those soon or allow only one per 100 fans or so.

I watched the last 10 minutes of the Germany match and it was just so annoying.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

What's wrong with the bandwidths? I just watched Germany - Australia for a few minutes and the TV image was some crappy compressed lossy mpeg whatever. Are they putting all the bandwidth on some HD and let all other watch this crap? Digital TV was supposed to be an improvement, but as it is now, the lossy compression makes it as bad as the analog TV. Taking a freeze image of the screen really reveals how much they compress the video stream. What annoys me is that I already pay for this. Like everybody else. It's not like this is a channel free for everybody. I can live with it that HD costs some more, but not with the fact that they're downgrading the "normal" broadcasting in favour to HD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

What really annoys me is the vuvuzelas. They make a horrible sound, like a bunch of wild bees flying around. There is no sound relative to the playing teams.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Join the group!

Do people actually believe that joining a Facebook group does anything? Have Facebook groups accomplished anything to date? :-/ Most of them only ever get a few thousand members, and even the ones with a few million are only a tiny fraction of the worldwide "football" fans.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

bamccaig said:

Do people actually believe that joining a Facebook group does anything? Have Facebook groups accomplished anything to date? :-/

Well, yes. At least over here several demonstrations have been called up and famous egg throwing against one of our infamous politians... Probably many more, but I just don't fscking care about Facebook.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I appended to my last post before I saw yours.

OICW said:

Well, yes. At least over here several demonstrations have been called up and famous egg throwing against one of our infamous politians... Probably many more, but I just don't fscking care about Facebook.

Was joining the Facebook group actually useful or was it just used as a means for organizing the effort, something that other means would do more effectively? And more importantly, did those acts accomplish anything or were they just a big public jerk off?

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Yes. The most obvious one being the facebook group to stop facebook TOS.

Neil.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

As I said I don't give a damn about that kind of shit. I just know that on some occasions I've heard from the news that something was organised on Facebook. Selling as I bought.[1]

References

1. If you know the correct idiom please let me know.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Yes. The most obvious one being the facebook group to stop facebook TOS.

That doesn't even count. It applies only to Facebook so it makes sense that using Facebook to express your opinion would be an optimal way to do it. The Facebook staff would pay attention to something like that in their own system from their own users. What about real world issues or at least things outside of Facebook?

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

You know, I didn't really know until now THAT was the cause of that horrible sound. I always like the sound of the crowd and the singing, but those damn trumpets are like a constant buzz which won't let you hear something else.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

</facebook_discussion>
>:(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

FIFA is checking whether those horns are valid or should be limited, from what I heard in the news just now.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Go to: