Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Allegro.cc Translator Experiment 2010

Credits go to Arvidsson, anonymous, Arthur Kalliokoski, bamccaig, Crazy Photon, Evert, Fishcake, FMC, gnolam, Goalie Ca, GullRaDriel, Jakub Wasilewski, Johan Halmén, Jonatan Hedborg, kenmasters1976, lambik, Neil Black, Oscar Giner, Slartibartfast, type568, Vanneto, and weapon_S for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Allegro.cc Translator Experiment 2010
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Dario ff said:

BTW, a single participant can act as more than a single link in the chain if he's willing to translate to more languages.

This would compromise the integrity of the "experiment". The translator getting the message for the second time would have earlier data to base his translation on. He could even outright ignore the latest version he got and translate the original again.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

bamccaig said:

This would compromise the "experiment". The translator getting the message for the second time would have earlier data to base his translation on.

I was just about to make that point.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Wonder why I didn't thought of that. Thanks to both of you.

I guess that there'll be a new restriction. Luckily, that doesn't change the actual list of languages.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Spanish <--> English

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Dario ff said:

It'll all be done via PM. If you want me to send you a mail to that address just to inform you that you received the PM, I will. I don't check my mailbox normally, I log in more often to the forum. Allegro.cc informs you nicely that you got a PM(It's so yellow you'll surely notice it).

But I actually often don't know when will my next login to allegro.cc is bound to happen, yet gmail has notifier.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

type568 said:

But I actually often don't know when will my next login to allegro.cc is bound to happen, yet gmail has notifier.

Allegro.cc is always my first tab in Firefox. :P Vimperator makes it quite convenient: g0.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

bamcca, and in simple English? T_T

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Last day for entries people!

Remember that if we got 1 more translator of these languages, we can extend the chain. Otherwise, I'll have to kick out people. :(

Quote:

1. Malay (From or to English)

2. Polish (From or to English)

3. Catalan (From or to English)

4. Russian (From or to English)

5. Italian (From or to English)

6. Slovenian (From or to English)

7. Swedish (From or to English)

8. Japanese (From or to English)

I think someone else can help us here with Swedish easily.

So far, we've got 10 translators in the chain.(5 languages) If we get another Spanish speaker(ReyBrujo? Paul whoknows?) we can extend the chain with 2 more translations. If we can reach something like 16 translators or 20, that'd certainly spice things up. :D

BTW, I got some suggestions already for the sentences. They are pretty fun, and we'll see how some of you can translate them. The 5 sentences will have a difficulty curve, the first being something like a simple everyday phrase, and the last one much more complicated.

My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

u missed Hebrew, there are 2 people that can do it

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

That's the list of the languages I'm looking for 1 more translator. The actual list of languages is in the first post, and includes Hebrew.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Oh. There were 2x Russian too I think.. Or is it 3?:P
Append: No, I'm wrong.. Guess we should call for Gnolam or smthng..

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

A quick search in the thread shows that you're the only translating from or to Russian. There's another problem though. If another Russian translator showed up, I'd either need 1 more Hebrew translator, or 1 more Russian translator. Since you and Slart are the only ones translating Hebrew, you can assume both of you are going to next to the other one in the chain.

I don't think you have a problem with translating from a dog, right kitty? ;)

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I'm not a kitty, I'm male!
And sigh this nose.... <3

However, if another Russian shows up, what's the issue of me doing both Heb & Rus?

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

;D

Quote:

However, if another Russian shows up, what's the issue of me doing both Heb & Rus?

You can't act as more than a single link in the chain. I know I said that you could before, but bamccaig brought up a good reason not to above:

bamccaig said:

This would compromise the integrity of the "experiment". The translator getting the message for the second time would have earlier data to base his translation on. He could even outright ignore the latest version he got and translate the original again.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

The problem is that it could cause to create a biased translation in your second "go" as you'd already know what the text looked like several iterations ago.
One possible solution would be English->Russian->Hebrew->English, but that would go against the original rules.

EDIT: sorta ninja'd

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

After attempting a newspaper article translation from German to Polish, I hereby retract my offer to translate from German. Too rusty ;).

So, only Polish ⇔ English for me.

There were more Polish people onboard: I remember CursedTyrant and (haven't seen him for quite some time) Krzysztof Kluczek, but I don't know if either of them is still active.

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Put me down for Swedish <-> English then.
BTW, there should be more than enough Finns on this forum to do Finnish<->English as well...

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Great, thanks gnolam. That makes 12 translations so far.

gnolam said:

BTW, there should be more than enough Finns on this forum to do Finnish<->English as well...

The only two ones I know of that are regulars here are Johan Halmén and jhuuskon. I don't know if they'll like to participate though... (maybe if I hunt them down)

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Yeah, true.. Since it's the same phrase, I can't do it twice.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Ok, I can do Finnish. We still need jhuuskon. My native language is Swedish but I speak 100% Finnish. jhuuskon is a native Finnish speaker.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Thanks Johan. Much appreciated.

Eeek! It seems I'm running short on a French translator. (Had to sort the list again) I've got one particular person in mind... Though he might add some swearing.

Or we could get someone from Canada too.

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

Speaking of Canada...

bamccaig said:

English ⟷ English.

Adding "eh?" doesn't count ;).

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Go to: