Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Allegro 4.4, OSX 10.6.2, XCode 3.2.1

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Allegro 4.4, OSX 10.6.2, XCode 3.2.1
Nethfel
Member #11,729
February 2010

Hi all,

I feel a bit like an idiot here, and I'm hoping some can help.

I am trying to install/use Allegro 4.4.0.1 w/ XCode.

I was able to follow the directions from this post:

http://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/603237/852823#target

and get allegro compiled and "installed" - but in XCode, I have no templates for XCode, nor do I have any frameworks that I see. I'd like to compile a simple allegro app, but I don't see how to create an app that would end as a bundle that isn't set for cocoa (I'm sorry, I'm new to xcode, I see a command line executable, but it doesn't seem to build a bundle)

Any tips on how to really get going would be most appreciated, or if anyone knows where to get a working template for allegro in XCode, that would be a tremendous help.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

I don't actually use xcode, so I can only offer some limited advice.

Nethfel said:

in XCode, I have no templates for XCode, nor do I have any frameworks that I see.

I don't think there is an Xcode Allegro template; if there is it'll be a third-party contribution. If someone cares to make one (and do a binary distribution of Allegro for OS X) that would be useful.
Allegro doesn't build as a framework by default, just a collection of independent UNIX-style dylibs (or .a files). You can bundle these in a framework, and I know that there are instructions for how to do so out there for 4.2, but I don't know for 4.4. Probably best to start looking at the 4.2 documentation and try to go from there if you want to go that route.
My advice would be to compile Allegro as a static library (liballeg.a) and link to that instead (I'm sure you can pass a library to link to in Xcode, but I don't know how or where you'd set that option).

Quote:

I'd like to compile a simple allegro app, but I don't see how to create an app that would end as a bundle that isn't set for cocoa (I'm sorry, I'm new to xcode, I see a command line executable, but it doesn't seem to build a bundle)

Allegro comes with a "fixbundle" tool that wraps your executable and its data files up into an application bundle. It's meant to be used from the terminal though, not from Xcode. It does work, however.

Nethfel
Member #11,729
February 2010

Well, looking more I seem to not have a file, and I'm not sure why - I can't seem to find:

liballeg.dylib

I followed the make instructions but there is no dylib anywhere...

Update: I found if I compile with framework, I don't get the dylib, if I compile without framework, I do get the dylib, but I can't link against it because I get errors about the library not being compatible/supported (unfortunately, the machine I was testing on is at work and I'm at home atm).

Go to: