Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » [Chemistry] Can water vapor (or other gases) carry dirt?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
[Chemistry] Can water vapor (or other gases) carry dirt?
weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

I think that considering your first reasoning, you must realise that those very strong polar bonds you're counting on, have already been "broken by the heat".

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

Note: I said the 2nd substance is what is going the carrying. there is a diffrence

water dose not carry but it dose gett carryed

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

If other atoms are bound to the H2O then it's no longer technically water. :P I never took chemistry beyond grade 11 or so[1], but IIRC most things that are mixed with water don't bond to the water. When the water evaporates, there is no chemical bond between the water and whatever alien substance it's mixed with.

So I guess either: the alien substance bonds to the water molecules, forming a new molecule that isn't technically water, or it doesn't and isn't carried by the water. The answer seems to be no.

I would not risk money on my understanding of chemistry, however. :P

References

1. Not because it wasn't interesting, but because it didn't fit into my schedule.
Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

When you get out of the shower, do you have to dry off the water that is not water? It's "bound" to you, right?

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Like I said, I would not risk money on my understanding of chemistry. :-[ She was in my grade 11 chemistry class so I payed most of my attention to the other side of the room[1]. :P

References

1. After about a week, the teacher thought it best to seat the class in alphabetical order... >:( While it might have been good for some (perhaps the brainless clowns that sparked it), it was not particularly good for me, IMHO. :-/ This also happened in grade 12 Calculus. :'( So keep that in mind for future reference. :P
BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Gas can't carry particles.

I can put gas and particles in my car, and drive. That isn't carrying particles? ??? :P

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

Haha that statement genuinely confused me for a sec. I just woke up though. :P

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Came to think of it. Salt sucks humidity into it. Or how do you phrase it? The thing with sea water spraying from braking waves. If the water is very salty, like sea water is, the salt might prevent the water from vaporizing, so I guess the water vapor kind of carries the salt (dirt) by not vaporizing completely due to the lose bound between salt ions and liquid water molecules.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I'd think the salt would slow evaporation by reducing the number of water molecules at the surface.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Well, the salt and the water stick together. That's what osmosis is about. And in Finland we put salt on dirt roads at summer time. The salt sucks water from the air and keeps the dirtt wet, preventing it from dusting. That's CaCl, not NaCl.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Just plain water has quite an attraction for itself if bugs can walk around on the surface tension.

1   2 

Go to: