Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » IRC. It's how hackers talk when they don't want to be overheard.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
IRC. It's how hackers talk when they don't want to be overheard.
gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Numb3rs does a CSI: NY:

video

Link, since embedding appears to be broken: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rGTXHvPCQ

[EDIT]
Oh hey. Embedding is back up.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

anonymous
Member #8025
November 2006

This seems to be rather old news.

However, all it goes to show is that Visual Basic is great for really fast development.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

anonymous said:

However, all it goes to show is that Visual Basic is great for really fast development.

Or for creating a GUI to track the killer's IP.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I watched both episodes when they first aired... Numb3rs' portrayal of hackers in that episode was pretty ridiculous. I particularly didn't care for how shortsighted the main hacker was[1]. I love how they took a tense last-second screenshot instead of just gasp logging the conversation (or leaving the application running...). ::)

On the other hand, we sometimes have television and Hollywood to thank for confusing average people, making the things we do seem magical and mysterious; therefore making us seem like wizards. 8-)

They could still do that factually though... :-/ I would prefer realism.

References

1. I'm obviously no hacker, but I look up to them, so it's still offensive to see them portrayed like that.
LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

bamccaig said:

I particularly didn't care for how shortsighted the main hacker was

I haven't seen the show, so I'm not sure what you're referring to there, but hackers are just like anyone. They can be incredibly brilliant at doing what they do best, but very stupid in other situations. It's how they often get caught.

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

Hackers don't get caught.

Young'uns pretending to know what they're doing just blow themselves up when they get their latest edition of "C4 magazine" and "insert hot wire A into explosive B".

For example, no one has ever caught me, and I'm not even hiding!

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

as per my avatar, i'm a hacker

-----------------
I'm hell of an awesome guy :)

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

Looks more like it's saying that you're two hackers, at least. Multiple personalities, or just a lot of you behind your router?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

LennyLen said:

I haven't seen the show, so I'm not sure what you're referring to there, but hackers are just like anyone. They can be incredibly brilliant at doing what they do best, but very stupid in other situations. It's how they often get caught.

In order to find a cyber crime lord, the team conducts an undercover sting. The operation is prevented by a brilliant hacker whose goal is to take over the Internet black market. However, his actions put him in a dangerous online war that might lead to murder.

If you're not familiar with the show, a mathematical genius (who is a professor at a university) and his friends/colleagues help his FBI agent brother's team catch bad guys primarily using math, though occasionally using other skills that they have (physics, computers, etc.).

The "brilliant hacker" was completely unprepared for the consequences of taking over this so called "Internet black market", believing that the online world couldn't hurt him in the real world. In actuality, the crime lords weren't all too pleased about the whole ordeal and sent mercenaries after him. I don't care who you are, if you're hijacking millions or billions of dollars from somebody you're in the big leagues and need to expect either very high profile law enforcement or criminals are going to be coming after you. He was unprepared for either, and in fact initially found himself in FBI custody due to spoiling the sting.

The sting took place at a white hat hacker conference/competition and he went up in front of everybody and revealed the FBI's presence and identities of each of their agents. Nobody's that stupid.

Of course, he later broke out of jail (the FBI left him in US Marshall custody for his protection) after having a cell mate get hold of a specific cell phone model... ;) After escaping, he went to hide out with his aunt or something. The mercenaries tracked him there, showed up when he was away, killed the aunt, and waited for him. If it wasn't for the FBI conveniently showing up at the right time to shoot it out with the mercs, he would have been dead too.

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

Kibiz0r said:

Or for creating a GUI to track the killer's IP.

You mean creating a gooey

also lol all hackers speak leet. According to them anyway.

bamccaig's post makes me feel good about myself :P

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

bamccaig said:

I don't care who you are, if you're hijacking millions or billions of dollars from somebody you're in the big leagues and need to expect either very high profile law enforcement or criminals are going to be coming after you.

Unfortunately, a lot of clever people never consider the consequences of their actions.

It's kind of like "absent minded professor" stereotype. Amazingly brilliant, yet amazingly stupid all at the same time.

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

Computer smarts != people smarts

Programmers don't always get dates. They understand computers. They don't understand women.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

We don't understand women because they're illogical. ::) Programmers tend to be logically minded. It's only logical that the criminals you've stolen huge amounts of money from are going to want it back and be willing to take extreme measures towards that aim. It's also only logical that law enforcement are going to want to take down those illegal operations and if you're the one running them then you're the big fish that they want to catch (not to mention, it's only logical that a government agency is going to want to prosecute you for blatantly sabotaging a sting operation).

Show me a real world hacker that has been surprised by any of this stuff. I'm not even talking about unprepared or out of his league, but surprised (as in, didn't expect).

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

This thread makes my head hurt.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Me too. WHAT HAVE I STARTED!?

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Mokkan
Member #4,355
February 2004

Those were both painful to watch, especially the Numb3rs one. "Can we get a screenshot?!"

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

I just watched the second link. Now there's a bloody head-shaped dent on my desk.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

as per my avatar, i'm a hacker

Which one on your avatar is actually you?

Edit:
>IRC. It's how hackers talk when they don't want to be overheard.

Damn. :D
That was a real lol..

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

i'm on irc with my homies right now

-----------------
I'm hell of an awesome guy :)

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Haha, I wish I was awesome enough at math to monitor every IRC server on the intarwebz. Funny that the server died after they were done chatting, unless they are really awesome and can find running IRC servers in real time. :o But if they can do that, why will it matter if they are offline? An IP is an IP, you can trace it just as well whether or not the person is offline.

Mokkan said:

"Can we get a screenshot?!"

NO SCREENSHOT NO DOWNLOAD!

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

i'm on irc with my homies right now

I hear you!

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

bamccaig said:

Show me a real world hacker that has been surprised by any of this stuff.

Well, there was the idiot who hacked into the New York Times system, and served time after he wrote his name on their computers.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Just watched the first link, which is retarded. Watched the second yesterday and didn't laugh - laughing at work of retarded people isn't fun. :'(

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

OnlineCop said:

Hackers don't get caught.

<cough/> Kevin Mitnick

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Come on guys, how can anyone with a slight interest in math, CS, or physics, watch that show (or any other similar show) and be serious about it?
Scenario: Someone has kidnapped a girl, and all we know is where she was last seen. What's the first thing you'd do? Go to the scene and see if you can gather any useful traces? Try to reconstruct her last actions? Map her social environment, trying to find likely kidnappers? Prepare for when the kidnapper makes contact?
All wrong. The right thing to do in such a situation, apparently, is to calculate a "probability matrix" (with virtually no input data) that will give you the most likely spot to find her.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

1   2 

Go to: