Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » New EEE PC

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
New EEE PC
alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

I'm writing this from my new EEE PC 1000HE. Life is good. ;D

I'm planning to put Eeebuntu on it alongside the current Windows XP; any thoughts?

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
C++: An octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.
I am the Lightning-Struck Penguin of Doom.

Mokkan
Member #4,355
February 2004

I've been looking at that exact model a lot, recently. I'd love to hear how Ubuntu works on it.

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

don't throw it at the curb

-----------------
I'm hell of an awesome guy :)

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

Oh, thank you for your insightful words, O thou master of wisdom. What other matters will you see fit to enlighten me upon?

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

Oh, thank you for your insightful words, O thou master of wisdom. What other matters will you see fit to enlighten me upon?

install os/2 on it :D

-----------------

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

Maybe I will, if my brand-new shiny USB floppy drive will work. :P

--

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I got a Dell Mini 10v - runs OS X great.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

I have a previous-gen 1000HA on which I dual-boot XP and Ubuntu Netbook Remix. They did a really good job with the layout for Ubuntu -- it's far more usable than XP. I don't have any gripes with it vs. desktop Ubuntu.

Er, actually, I do have one gripe. My wifi is for shit under Ubuntu, but fine under XP. I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong, and neither can our sysadmin guy.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Kibiz0r said:

Er, actually, I do have one gripe. My wifi is for shit under Ubuntu, but fine under XP. I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong, and neither can our sysadmin guy.

If you have the same wifi card as I do, or one like it, the drivers aren't quite up to snuff. the transmit power managment stuff isn't quite right. And some other stuff. Its better than it was a couple kernel versions ago (that is 2.6.30 works ok).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

I've installed Eeebuntu; it seems to work fine. Wi-fi is not working; I will try to fix that, I believe that it can successfully work. I like it, so far. I still have WinXP on it, and can dual boot.

--

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

linux still sucks :-[

-----------------

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm planning to sell mine (EeePC 1000)... :( I can't make good use of it... Evidently, settling for a netbook was the wrong direction to go for me...

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

bamccaig said:

I'm planning to sell mine

What generation is it?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Kibiz0r said:

What generation is it?

I couldn't tell you for sure. I know very little about them. My brother is currently borrowing it (he and his girlfriend were thinking of buying it off of me, but they decided not to; I haven't got it back yet).

Here's my thread about buying it, which has a link to the product page on the retailer's site.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

I saw an article about new ones that have the "island" style keys, like the Macbooks have. I think those look badass.

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

Quote:

I'm planning to sell mine

I sold my MSI Wind. It was just too small for me. Plus, I've found that my Macbook 13" is nearly the perfect size to use on an airplane.

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

I find that my 17" laptop screen makes for more comfortable movie watching on airplanes.

;)

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

I wouldn't go with a netbook as my only computer; this is mainly for taking notes in class and doing homework while not at home. While usable temporarily, having to use this as my main machine would drive me raving mad.

--

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

17" != laptop.

ixilom
Member #7,167
April 2006

Just for fun of it, I'm using my crappy EeePC900 as a webserver :P

That will probably change soon though as I'm thinking of taking it with me to Ireland :)

Anomie
Member #9,403
January 2008

I recently got a 1005HA for school and I'm writing this up via Eeebuntu (dual booting with XP). Only problem I had was that it couldn't find the wireless card at first, but a forum search at eeebuntu.org turned up a quick fix. There's also apparently an issue with the touchpad, where some xorg.conf tweaking is required to be able to shut it off. I don't really find that feature very useful, so I haven't looked into it. (I think the problems are due to this and a handful of other models having been released since the last version of Eeebuntu.)

I've actually been using this little thing more than my desktop since I got it, I like it quite a lot. Good for typing and GNOME is configurable enough to allow me plenty of real-estate at 1024x600. In case anyone's curious, the glossy screen is fine 90% of the time and still usable in direct sunlight. It's much better than other glossies I've seen.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

My girlfriend has a 1000H (Pink!) It's dual-booting EeeBuntu.
I really love what they did with the netbook remix version, I think it makes a really good interface and it's really effective on a smaller screen.

Unfortunately mine has wireless problems as well, so that partition doesn't get used all that much.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Quote:

17" != laptop.

I'm typing from my 17inch and it's on my lap while I'm watching the TV :)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

I'm typing from my 17inch and it's on my lap

I can put my desktop on my lap. That doesn't make it a laptop.

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

Kibiz0r said:

I can put my desktop on my lap. That doesn't make it a laptop.

Big pimpin'.

{"name":"500multi_background___light55.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/4\/547bcd16d6f927ab8aa131f751258fc7.jpg","w":400,"h":363,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/4\/547bcd16d6f927ab8aa131f751258fc7"}500multi_background___light55.jpg

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

1   2   3 

Go to: