Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » [SH09] Secret of Fantasy

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
[SH09] Secret of Fantasy
Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

{"name":"598985","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/0\/e0a1420c36476fdcd1130c692c65d8ec.png","w":629,"h":479,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/0\/e0a1420c36476fdcd1130c692c65d8ec"}598985{"name":"598984","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/a\/8a6d03e81944522228f9784a41c18e4c.png","w":639,"h":481,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/a\/8a6d03e81944522228f9784a41c18e4c"}598984{"name":"599079","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/0\/b0b12fa487049e87cbb3f1c22cb47a8c.png","w":640,"h":479,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/0\/b0b12fa487049e87cbb3f1c22cb47a8c"}599079

Secret of Fantasy The Calcium Crystals is a role playing game that revolves around buying milk.

Binary: http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/599104 version 7 (past deadline)
Source: http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/599122 version 7 (past deadline) (should compile in Linux with CMake)

Use arrow keys to move around. Use left ALT for actions, left CONTROL for attacks, SPACE for usable items and I to open the inventory.

Caution: pressing ESCAPE exits the game without prompting!
Note: the game requires Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) to run!

Bugs

1. Doors suddenly not working - FIXED

2. Crash when dying - FIXED

3. No continue - FIXED

4. Player get stuck in walls when taking damage - Might be fixed, no promises

5. Crash in one of the dungeons - FIXED

6. Windows line feeds in txt-files - FIXED

7. GCC compilation issues - FIXED

8. Missing CMakeLists.txt file - FIXED

codnik
Member #10,154
September 2008

I just finished this and I must say I almost gave up in my quest for the calcium crystals. The game itself didn't motivate me much. I just wanted to get it done with and check out what was at the end.

I understand you guys love RPGs, but I don't think you have enough time to make a truly enjoyable RPG in a compo like this. Maybe it's just me...

This game was actually nice though. Pretty much everything worked as it should. I have only two things to point out as far as gameplay goes:

1. It sucks when stuff goes off the limits and you can't get it, i.e. a heart getting stuck inside a wall. That irritates me a lot.

2. For stupid people like me, it'd be cool to know I had to press "alt" to start the game, without actually having to read the readme... It's much more intuitive to press "enter".

Congrats, it's a nice and polished game.

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

Nice game. Great music.

I haven't finished it, but I will.

Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

codnik said:

I don't think you have enough time to make a truly enjoyable RPG in a compo like this

You are probably right. We wanted a real challenge this year so we decided to try to make a RPG. Personally I'm quite pleased with the result, but the hunt for crystals tend to get boring. We should cut down the number of crystals to three or something so players don't quit without battling Lord Vapor (and hopefully see the end).

codnik
Member #10,154
September 2008

I don't think it's a matter of cutting down on the number of crystals. Once you know that "hard work pays off", the last two crystals are pretty much a given. It's just that before you realize this you're already running desperate with the price of the damn thing. I don't wanna give it away, but people need to know there's a faithful RPG element in this game that makes all the difference. (and I think that's remarkable) Be a good boy to mother and try to be good to others too.

Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

I'm thinking about making a director's cut of the game. We had a lot of ideas we never had time to implement that should make the game more fun to play. To be honest, we never actually played the game through until after the deadline... But before I do a director's cut I'm looking forward to play all the other entries. The creativity Speedhack and TINS bring to this forum is amazing!

Victor Williams Stafusa da Silva
Member #4,212
January 2004

I liked the game very much. However it crashes sometimes when i die (apparently, when I die in a cave level previous to the deepest reached or if I die in the map screen). And this is really very irritating and frustrating.

I also noticed that you've used some save state internal feature. There is someway to load a previous gameplay?

[The attack of the space bugs - Speedhack 2005] [Rambananas - Speedhack 2006] [Make clean - Speedhack 2009] [The source god - TINS 2010]

Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

A the moment there is no way to load a previous game. All the code to load a previous game is in place as you have pointed out, it's just a matter of putting an option in the start menu, but we were out of time. I'll fix it in a future update.

The crashes sound very annoying. When you die we try to load the previously saved game state, my guess is that there is something wrong with that state. Are you running the game under Windows, or do you use Wine or something fishy like that? I can look into our save function and look for any errors. The game should NOT crash when you die... My apologies.

Rodrigo Monteiro
Member #4,373
February 2004

Yet another pretty impressive Team Darkbits game. :)

IMO, this does an excellent job at employing a team in a SpeedHack game - by having people working for 72 hours on art and levels, you can actually dream of making a playable RPG game.

Most of the game is pretty well-made, and it has a very strong nostalgic flavour. If this was SH05, it could have taken the "Make it a Classic" award. ;)

There are its share of problems (the ones that codnik pointed out, plus the slooow movement that bores me to tears and lack of usable savestate), but it's overall a very good entry.

I'll try to beat it once you release a binary with save/load hacked in, even if it's just F1/F2, I don't care. :)

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Nice graphics and music (although a lot was made beforehand?). I got the magic gun and returned to the previous room (with the brownish bats) and I got pushed inside the wall from getting damaged. That was the end of Ted.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Looks great. Another game from SH09 that I'm excited to try. :D

Næssén said:

The game should NOT crash when you die...

;D

Member #4,212
January 2004

Næssén:
I am using windows XP in an (somewhat old) Aspire 3000 notebook.

The crash happens sometimes, it's somewhat rare. But when this occurs I will need to redo it all again. I played your game 4 times, but never reached the final tower (the best time I could get 3 calcium crystals, without buying one). I die sometimes in the game and starts the cave where I died again, no problem here. But eventually if I got some bad luck, that bug kills me definitively.

[The attack of the space bugs - Speedhack 2005] [Rambananas - Speedhack 2006] [Make clean - Speedhack 2009] [The source god - TINS 2010]

Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

Victor, if you quit the game on a crash recently could you perhaps upload the files data/gamestate.sav and data/inventory.txt?

Albin Engström
Member #8,110
December 2006

Short and sweet.

I played the game through without getting bored, although I wonder if I would have if I haden't found "you know what" that gives me huge amounts of money.

Well done.

Member #4,212
January 2004

When it crashed, it said that was the line 285 of some file, saying something about save/load inventory. I make a screenshot of that, but I was dumb enough to make a Ctrl+c of other thing before pasting the screenshot in paint.

The files are attached.

I died inside the central cave which has the entrance blocked by some stones just after the middle bridge (not sure if I was in the second or third level). I was in the middle of a crowd of bats. There were at least 3 bats coliding with me and a lot more very near.

EDIT: *** Spoiler deleted ***

Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

I've fixed the bug now thanks to your save files. I've also added a continue option and tweaked some of the levels sizes (to make it easier). Victor, if you want to continue playing your game just replace the exe file and change the name of your inventory.txt file to inventory.sav.

As I tweaked the level sizes, and all levels are generated randomly, things might get weird if you simply add your save files to the updated release. Many thanks Victor for pointing out the bug!

codnik
Member #10,154
September 2008

PFFFF Victor! Way to spoil the fun! There are other people still playing this.

Member #4,212
January 2004

codnik said:

PFFFF Victor! Way to spoil the fun! There are other people still playing this.

Sorry. I deleted the spoiler.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

that's a nice little engine. I like the animation of the coins and hearts as they bounce out of enemies.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Rodrigo Monteiro
Member #4,373
February 2004

Just finished the game, very nice entry - probably my favourite.

But the walking speed kiiiiiiiills me... :)

Anyway, what's with heroic mode? I don't quite get what it does?

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

8-): "We don't go down there anymore..."

Okay, I've got three of the five crystals. When I go to the lowest dungeon, I can walk through one door, but on the second, I get this:

An STD exception occured: "bad allocation".

Hopefully this can be fixed without me having to start over...?

By the way, I'm totally digging it...

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

Onewing said:

An STD exception occured: "bad allocation"

Which version of the game are you running Onewing? Version 5?

Edit: Found the bug. One of the dungeon generator files had an invalid character. Onewing, you can just copy your sav-files in the data directory to the new release's data directory and continue playing.

Anyway, what's with heroic mode? I don't quite get what it does?

In heroic mode dungeons get a random seed when you start. Also enemies has twice the amount of HP and when you die you get game over, instead of returning to the map.

Inphernic said:

Nice graphics and music (although a lot was made beforehand?).

All of the music except the menu music was made before the competition. The graphics however was made during the competition.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

bamccaig said:

Shame it's Windows only...

It works just fine with Wine, if you have Linux that is...

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Næssén said:

It works just fine with Wine, if you have Linux that is...

I do, but I'm not sure if Wine is installed, let alone correctly... :-X Wine just feels...dirty to me.

I just spent a bunch of time trying to get Secret of Fantasy to compile in Linux, but a bad sed command resulted in overwriting all the source with empty files... :( I'll have to start again and this time maybe I'll create a temporary Subversion repository to hold onto my progress. ;D Is there anything in the source that would prevent it from running in Linux (or would make porting it more than a couple of hours work)?

1   2   3 

Go to: