Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » [NES] I just bought an NES on eBay! \o/

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[NES] I just bought an NES on eBay! \o/
Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

My further considered thoughts after a couple of days of NES clone ownership and some mild internet research are that someone should sell empty famicom-size cartridges, perfect for transferring the insides of NES cartridges to given that they're about 80% empty space and have a poor stability to likely pin cleanliness ratio for top loading.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Checked a few manual booklets I had, but none said you had to hold reset before turning it off. However, they are all SNES games. The issue was known for NES games, though.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Yes, I've heard of that for NES but never SNES. Even if you don't hold reset on NES, it usually works, but I've had my Zelda save games erased before and that could very well have been the problem.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

{"name":"ResetPower.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/a\/0aa07aebf4f6e6e3fd4fe300a28444eb.gif","w":356,"h":270,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/a\/0aa07aebf4f6e6e3fd4fe300a28444eb"}ResetPower.gif

I am guessing turning the power off actually sent a small discharge to the cartridge, which could erase your saved data, while pressing the Reset button before turning it off cut the power to the cartridge, preventing it.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I'm on a date with Father Time's daughter, Hasty LaRue, and I cannot be tempted by your sexy pixels, FF1! Okay, maybe I'll just play till Pravoca...

:-X

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

The deferred reward of your eBay purchase is itself very old school. Admittedly more so for the micros with 30 minute load times than the NES, but whatever. Do you have the NES yet?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Nope. :( The tracking information isn't very detailed, but I expect it will probably be around a week...

** EDIT **

The shipping company has it! :D It left Chicago this morning! ??? For some reason, it went from Michigan to Illinois... :-/

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

(consults a map) where is it heading towards? All your profile says is that you're from Canada...

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

(consults a map) where is it heading towards? All your profile says is that you're from Canada...

Fixed. Essentially, it traveled approximately 249 mi West (by road; estimated 4 hour drive) whereas the end destination was approximately 333 mi North of the origin (by road; estimated 5 hour drive)... :-X This morning when it allegedly left Chicago, it was approximately 479 mi away (by road, thanks in part to Lake Michigan; approximately an 8 hour drive).

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

BamCcaig said:

The shipping company has it! It left Chicago this morning! For some reason, it went from Michigan to Illinois...

UPS maybe? We have hubs where packages going to the same district are collected and consolidated to cut down shipping costs. I can look into it.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Bob Keane said:

We have hubs where packages going to the same district are collected and consolidated to cut down shipping costs.

Yeah, I'm sure it's something along those lines. As an end user waiting for a package, it's fun to joke about how clearly lost it is, typically with the illusion that a van and driver are assigned to the safe delivery of a single package across the country! ;D

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

bamccaig said:

Yeah, I'm sure it's something along those lines. As an end user waiting for a package, it's fun to joke about how clearly lost it is, typically with the illusion that a van and driver are assigned to the safe delivery of a single package across the country! ;D

If you pay for overnight delivery you almost get that with most couriers.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

ReyBrujo
January 2001

But you are paying for the driver's food, beer, tires and gas. And if something happens, your package is lost but not others (which would make you feel even worse).

Also, your next goal. Full list of the games too.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

Full list [www.racketboy.com] of the games too.

I've got PAL Panzer Dragoon Saga. No sleeve though — just the two separate cases. Not sure I'm too bothered about many of the items on the list though. I certainly don't care about the difference between one version of a game and exactly the same content in much the same or exactly the same packaging with an extra sticker or somesuch, as in the US version of Master System Sonic, the gold NES cartridge versus the ordinary grey one and the Dreamcast shoot'em'up game. The site's down at the minute, or I'd be a tiny bit less vague with names.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

But the gold makes the transistors fire faster! Real gamers use gold plated cartridges.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Yay, apparently my NES has made it through Canadian customs. ;D

** EDIT **

It's at the post office! I just have to take some time off j0rb to pick it up... I'm probably gonna pick it up tomorrow morning.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Neat, good luck!

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Kuhl. I'll be over about 1:00 to play!!!

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

If you pay for overnight delivery you almost get that with most couriers.

Or not. When I order from newegg they usually ship from the NJ warehouse. If I get the cheap/free UPS shipping, it gets here overnight. Leaves the hub in NJ the night I order it, gets to the hub near me by about 2-3AM and seems to get sorted immediately, ends up at the local sort facility by around 5AM and gets thrown on a truck and delivered.

When they used to ship FedEx it wasn't nearly as fast. On a few occasions they actually held my package because it was "ahead of schedule."

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

I am at present attempting to obtain a copy of Fantastic Dizzy for my NES compatible. I remember the Master System version being excellent.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

BAF said:

Or not.

I'm talking ACTUAL guaranteed overnight service. They usually charge an arm and a leg overtop of the usual expensive options.

But when I order from ncix, UPS's 2day option is usually faster than most of the other options. It usually gets here the day after it was shipped out. But then I'm not far from vancouver and the 2day shipments are sent by plane, and get here in under a few hours. Also, UPS seems to deliver to my area earlier in the day than FedEx or anyone else. FedEx likes to say "Sometime before 5pm", and with UPS the delivery gets here around 11am.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Picked it up this morning... :D Now I just have to suffer through j0rb so I can get home and unpack it...! :'(

** EDIT **

The bad news is that it's pretty filthy (seriously, WTF is wrong with people -- I've never spilled anything on a game console or controller in my life... It could be worse, but I'm not pleased anyway) and the B button on one of the controllers has a bad connection or something and doesn't work most of the time. The good news is that it does [sometimes] work though. I got two copies of SMB, one with DH and the other without (I didn't notice if that was listed...). That's about as far as I've gone though.

It's great to play again, but the controllers begin to hurt my hands pretty quickly and I'm not sure if I'm willing to live with how stained it is... I might keep the best games and pawn the rest with the intent to find an NES in better condition at a later date, but I don't know how good my odds of finding one would be.

relay01
Member #6,988
March 2006

bamccaig said:

The bad news is that it's pretty filthy

Then clean it!

20 year old electronics collect all sorts of havoc in their lifetimes.

Luckily, the NES cartridge accepts a standard phillips screwdriver to unscrew and access it's innards.

There are people who sell replacement connectors, and "game bits" that allow you to open up the console.

Most often times, the controllers also just need to be disassembled and clean.

I recommend an alcohol solution for the contacts on the game cartridges and console connectors for a good non-residue clean.

use q-tips and lots of them.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I was mainly referring to discoloring on the outside and a pretty nasty stain of something just inside the cartridge lid. :-/ The stain might come off with scrubbing and/or scrapping, but I doubt the discoloring is fixable.

Go to: