Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Alarm Clocks

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Alarm Clocks
Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I always wake up before the alarm rings and I switch it off (and it's always within my arm's reach), then I just lie in bed for 5-10 minutes to clear my head and I get up. I never had any problems with it.

Don't get into Dungeons and Dragons. You'll become a loser and then you won't be able to get up in the morning.

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

What's wrong with D&D? :P

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

What's wrong with D&D? :P

It was just the first thing that came to mind that was commonly associated with losers.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I always wake up before the alarm rings and I switch it off (and it's always within my arm's reach), then I just lie in bed for 5-10 minutes to clear my head and I get up. I never had any problems with it.

What's unfortunate is this can change. Some people start out this way and then start sleeping through their alarm clocks. Maybe they're becoming losers or maybe they don't have anything to wake up for.

I'm a heavy sleeper, I can sleep through construction work or sitting upright in the back of a vehicle. My brother is a light sleeper. When we shared a room, my loud snoring would keep him up. He'd get so mad that he would come over and punch me in the stomach. I'd wake up not breathing. I got used to it and could sleep through a punch to the stomach.

So I've always had trouble waking up to my alarm. Not having a job that I have to get up for isn't helping either.

I definitely have a problem with this. I think the best solution I've come up with is really thinking hard about how important it is to wake up at a given time while I'm trying to go to sleep. If that makes me have troubles going to sleep, I'll try to think how important it is that I go to sleep so I can get up at the right time. If I'm still having troubles going to sleep, I'll consider a sleeping aid as long as I have at least 7 hours to sleep (any less and the aid may prevent me waking up on time). If I have less than 7 hours, then I probably won't get much sleep.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Onewing said:

What's unfortunate is this can change. Some people start out this way and then start sleeping through their alarm clocks. Maybe they're becoming losers or maybe they don't have anything to wake up for.

I don't have anything to wake up for :P And the exams are nigh. Still, nothing ever stopped me from waking up before, and I've been waking up before the alarm rings for 6+ years now. Sure, I did oversleep a couple of times, but usually when I slept for two or three hours (I tend to do that a lot these days, which is probably not the healthiest thing to do).

I guess I'm just lucky.

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Onewing said:

I'm a heavy sleeper

:) I've slept through having a glass of water poured on my face. And a vacuum cleaner running right next to me. I even slept through a scroll saw cutting wood right next to me. If you want to know why a scroll saw was cutting wood in my living room, or why I was sleeping in there, well... it's because that was where dad set up the scroll saw, and where I fell asleep.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

You people are screwed up. :-/

Maybe you should go to the doctor. Perhaps you have a sleeping disorder?

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

BAF said:

Perhaps you have a sleeping disorder?

I probably do, and I think it's related to stress.

I've always been hard to wake up when I was tired, but it used to be if I got seven or eight hours I wouldn't be very hard to wake up at all. In the last eight or nine months I've noticed that I've become harder and harder to wake up, even when I'm getting up to go do something that I want to do. I've also noticed an increase in stress over that time period.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

If I'm afraid of oversleeping and feel the need to set multiple alarms (knowing I can turn all of the ones I own off without waking up) I always make sure they're not going off at regular intervals. My brain adjusts to that and just treats it as background noise. Breaking the pattern makes it easier to wake up.
Along similar lines, changing alarm clocks helps too (different sounds and all), although my brain adjusts to that fairly quickly too.
I also wake up due to increase of the ambient light level.

All of that said, the only times when I feel the need to do any of those is when I need to get up at some weird hour because I have a plane to catch at seven in the morning. The light-thing helps me wake up in winter (I can wake up without it, but feel much more tired).

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Evert said:

I also wake up due to increase of the ambient light level.

Ambient light has never effected my ability to sleep. At worst, I'll throw my arm over my eyes to block it out. But I usually don't care if it's light or dark.

wearetheborg
Queen of the Universe
June 2003

Get yourself a gf/wife who'll literally kick your a$s outa bed.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

My wife beats me on the head with a baseball bat and I still don't wake up. Woe is me. I went to the WebMD doctor and it said I suffer from first class loseritis.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Quote:

My wifi beats me on the head with a baseball bat

FTFY

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Girls don't like losers. I guess I should just give up.*

* normally I wouldn't just give up, but since I'm a loser, I'm incapable of trying to better myself.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

HA! My grilf drags me back into bed!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Better yet, get yourself a kid or two, they're much better at it than wives.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

Maybe you need a band with your alarm.

video

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

Set the Sound Grenade app on the iPhone (or some similar high-frequency sound generator) to get you up at the right time.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
C++: An octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.
I am the Lightning-Struck Penguin of Doom.

1   2   3 

Go to: