Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » fashion thread

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
fashion thread
wearetheborg
Queen of the Universe
June 2003

ML said:

I gave up my cell phone a while ago. It was just a nuisance.

You shouldn't avoid your gf, it's not a very nice thing to do!

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

edit

-----------------
I'm hell of an awesome guy :)

ReyBrujo
January 2001

I don't buy many clothes... the last piece is a leather coat that covers up to around 20 cms (8-9 inches) my feet, last year. I use it for autumn, winter and spring, and to go to metal recitals. Cost me $650 (that would be like USD 200 back then).

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

I find that very surprising. I see you as having an internet-capable phone keeping your clients in check and email in your pocket.

If I'm working, I'm in front of a computer. People can send me e-mails or instant messages if they want to contact me.

If I'm away, it means I'm not working, and thus even if they did give me a call, I wouldn't answer or do anything anyway.

Roy Underthump
Member #10,398
November 2008

{"name":"celebrity-pictures-amos-pixilates.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/d\/ade5fbf4bc32dc0abdf8385f553b02df.jpg","w":500,"h":644,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/d\/ade5fbf4bc32dc0abdf8385f553b02df"}celebrity-pictures-amos-pixilates.jpg

I love America -- I love the rights we used to have
George Carlin

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I splurged for an email-capable phone awhile back because I would occasionally lose sales and would have to give refunds for not being able to resolve issues quickly. I also get notifications when things are happening on my sites in case someone's trying to hack in or something of that nature.

It gives me a peace of mind and less anxiety that something might go wrong while I'm away. I also get the payment notifications. I could be out drunk "Buy another round!!" ;D

Lately, I haven't been having as many customer problems as the major kinks have been resolved.

I haven't solved customer ignorance though. :-/

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

TestSubject
Member #8,989
August 2007

Yeah, I carry a phone just because I might need it. I usually don't use it. I also usually carry about $30 if I'm just out doing stuff, and a pocketknife. I usually forget to bring my driver's license if I'm not going to school, because I leave it in my backpack. Pocketknife and money, maybe a pencil in front right pocket, cellphone left. If I'm carrying my flash drive it goes in my left pocket. Change usually goes in the left.

Wearing a wallet in your back pocket can, if you sit on it and it is thick, cause back problems.
Back pocket health and more back pocket health.

Also, it is ugly and makes people think you are straight. This is here just because I thought it was pertinent and opened it, just to find it was random.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

TestSubject said:

Wearing a wallet in your back pocket can, if you sit on it and it is thick, cause back problems.

Though I "wear" mine in my back pocket, I don't usually carry much in it. Just the necessary cards and occasionally a few bills. I usually also throw change greater than or equal to a quarter in it on one side because I hate having loose change in my pockets, but it rarely builds up because I hate change anyway.

TestSubject said:

Also, it is ugly...

If you wear baggy clothes nobody can see what you're packing. ;)

TestSubject said:

...and makes people think you are straight.

Is there something wrong with being straight now? :o

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I wear only polos (dark muted colours, but not black) and dress pants (black), every day of the week for the past 7 years. Nice and neat. I am switching to dress pants, shirt and waistcoat next year, as I start going to graduate school.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

TestSubject
Member #8,989
August 2007

bamccaig said:

If you wear baggy clothes nobody can see what you're packing. ;)
Is there something wrong with being straight now? :o

That was pulled straight from the article. I just found it amusing--the reason it proves you are straight is no gay man would willing have such an awkward, asymmetrical bulge.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

TestSubject said:

That was pulled straight from the article. I just found it amusing--the reason it proves you are straight is no gay man would willing have such an awkward, asymmetrical bulge.

Oh... :) I didn't read the articles... :-[

Sporus
Member #3,815
August 2003

Just being curious again...

bamccaig said:

Plain white or black tall tee, baggy jeans (low -- the large and long shirts prevent anything from being visible though... ::) The dragging pants can be a bitch in the wet months unfortunately...)

I guess I can understand the bagginess for comfort (?), but why the sagging? I've seen people wear their pants like that and always wondered why.

Cody Harris
Member #4,406
March 2004

I tend to wear rugby shirts a lot, they look nice and have a collar, so they're great to wear to work. I also wear jeans from mid sept-mid may, and switching to shorts during the summer (I don't wear the rugby shirts during the summer either, I switch over to short sleeve polo shirts).

---------------------------------
Homepage - Art (Photography)
I'm QBasicer on #allegro on Freenode.

TestSubject
Member #8,989
August 2007

Sporus said:

I guess I can understand the bagginess for comfort (?), but why the sagging? I've seen people wear their pants like that and always wondered why.

I can't stand sagging pants. I think they look ridiculous, but I won't say anything to the person wearing saggy pants unless they are a friend.

I like baggy pants because they allow a full range of motion. Tighter pants can make certain things uncomfortable, like climbing ladders or moving around in a dumpster.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

I always think people have shitted themselves when I see sagging pants ;-) Girls nowadays down here like these "babuchas" which are awful:

{"name":"img","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/3\/8366fd47d028196d5bb508f423c29527.gif","w":250,"h":250,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/3\/8366fd47d028196d5bb508f423c29527"}img

Image taken from an auction at our local eBay site.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Quote:

Though I "wear" mine in my back pocket, I don't usually carry much in it. Just the necessary cards and occasionally a few bills.

Pick-pockets love people who have their wallets in their back pockets.

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

Very rarely if ever do pick-pockets actually take things from people's pockets, though a back pocket with a wallet sticking out may be an exception. It's too easy to feel. Normally it's from a purse.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
C++: An octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.
I am the Lightning-Struck Penguin of Doom.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Sporus said:

You know, I don't know if I can rationalize it to you. According to Wikipedia, it allegedly originated in prisons where belts were prohibited for obvious reasons. So after getting used to it I assume they brought it to the streets where kids looking up to them would have copied them. Allegedly American rap artists popularized the style. I started doing it around the time I started high school (which is around the time I started listening to rap and rock). And after getting used to it I find it uncomfortable to wear pants at waist height.

I think it also plays a trick on the mind, resulting in the appearance of a longer torso and shorter legs. So the opposite of having stick legs, which is generally associated with being weak, I guess. I think it sort of makes an individual look tougher or more threatening. Baggy clothes help with that too. And for males, you can never have too much tough. ;)

HardTranceFan said:

Pick-pockets love people who have their wallets in their back pockets.

Well we don't really have to worry too much about that where I live (knock on wood?). With me they have the added challenge of lifting up my many layers of long shirts (tall tee anyone? :D) to get to my wallet. :P I don't doubt that they can do it anyway. What I'd like is to get a chain attached to it. Try to take that without me noticing! :P

alethiophile said:

Very rarely if ever do pick-pockets actually take things from people's pockets, though a back pocket with a wallet sticking out may be an exception. It's too easy to feel. Normally it's from a purse.

Which is again why I like deep pockets. My wallet doesn't stick out anyway, but if it's deeper then a pick pocket would have to reach deeper to get it. And it also would reduce the odds of me losing it. More than once I've gone to lunch with colleagues, gotten inside to the food court and realized that I don't have my wallet. So panic ensues and I'd have to borrow money from a colleague and then we get back to his/her car and my wallet is laying there on the seat of the car... ::)

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

In highschool I would wear the shorts low like this "sagging" thing because I was too tall for them, if I didn't there would be like 2 inches of skin visible above my knees.

And if the pants do not AT LEAST end at the bottom of your knees then you may as well be wearing a skirt or some hot pants or a jockstrap as far as I was concerned.

My family was too poor to buy proper amounts of food (I was always hungry) so I never put on much weight. Never had much protein, only carbohydrates like sausages and bread. That was all I ate basically, along with a few vegetables and peanut butter, for my child hood.

Recently I bought a suit from lowes, the lady there must have taken a likening to me as she gave me 20% off even though I didn't have a store card, and helped me get a good pair and told me some things about it. It may have been my totemkopf belt buckle or maybe she was just pleased to help a young man. Anyway it has an elastic waist that slides into a sleeve thing, which was good. God a micromesh white shirt as well, and a solid-red tie (so that I could take pictures if I ever got a green balaclava).

Anyway I've worn it a lot to all these DJ gigs I've been doing recently, actually I need to wash the pants because they have dust rubbed into them from loading / unloading the speakers and the like.

Around the house I usually wear these really comfortable white shorts and a cotton t-shirt, or these long pants I've had since primary school and another cotton t-shirt. I also have a blue short-sleeved workers shirt (buttoned, collared) that I wear with my jeans whenever I go to a pub or an RSL or something like that (and I'm not in my suit on a gig).

I had these good denim 3/4 pants that were comfortable and had good usueable deep pockets, but a hole got worn in the bottom of them and it tore, and the denim frayed apart, so I had to throw them out. I think my wallet bulging with coins helped weigh it down to make the whole tear soo much.

I always wear my wallet in my back pocket, but I have a short metal chain + belt loop clip that I got from a $2 store about 6 years ago, so that I don't ever loose the wallet if it falls out (and it helps to grab it to pull the wallet out with, as my jeans have gotten kinda tight lately, it is difficult to pull my keys out of my front pocket for example).

I could really do with some new proper clothes, but I don't really have the money yet. Well actualey for the past year I have been living with about $1.6k of 50 dollar notes (I counted it not long ago), but recently the amount of money that my borther hands in cash for his share of the rent has stopped because he is moving out and so the groceries have started to make it slowly go back down. I haven't drawn money out of an atm at all this year, and I've only ever bought things IRL with cash from my wallet (but that is just bus fares and basic food stuffs and the suit). Anything else is obviously done over the internet.

I look good enough in some of the things that I've got anyway. No camera here for pictures unfortunately.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Quote:

They do, they do, there are 101 techniques to steal a wallet from a pocket. :P
Of course wallets sticking out of back pocket are as good as gone...

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Quote:

And if the pants do not AT LEAST end at the bottom of your knees then you may as well be wearing a skirt or some hot pants or a jockstrap as far as I was concerned.

If you were 20 years older, you would have been at the height of fashion wearing stubbies in the 80s.

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

Roy Underthump
Member #10,398
November 2008

Or highwater pants in the '50's

FM61695.jpg

I love America -- I love the rights we used to have
George Carlin

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

They certainly go below the knees, meeting m c's requirements...

--

1   2   3 

Go to: