This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Allegro 4.9.6
Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

... is available here.

Quote:

Changes from 4.9.5 to 4.9.6 (November 2008)
===========================================

The core developers this time were: Thomas Fjellstrom, Trent Gamblin, Evert
Glebbeek, Peter Hull, Milan Mimica, Jon Rafkind, Peter Wang.

Allegro 4.9.6 and onwards are licensed under the zlib licence (see
LICENSE.txt). This is a simple permissive free software licence, close in
spirit to the 'giftware' licence, but is clearer and more well-known.

General:

- Added filesystem hook (fshook) and path API functions.

- Many minor bug fixes.

Graphics:

- Added allegro5/a5_opengl.h, which has to be included by programs
to use OpenGL specifics. ALLEGRO_EXCLUDE_GLX and ALLEGRO_EXCLUDE_WGL can
be #defined to exclude GLX and WGL OpenGL extensions respectively.

- Added allegro/a5_direct3d.h, which has to be included by programs
to use D3D specifics.

- Fixed some drawing from and onto sub-bitmaps.

- Fixed blending with the wrong color in case of sub-bitmaps.

- Fixed a bug in the D3D driver where the transformation matrix was not
reset after drawing a bitmap.

- Added draw pixel to OpenGL driver.

- Added more OpenGL extensions.

- Added function to inhibit screen saver (currently Windows only).

Config routines:

- Added al_config_create().

- Deleted al_config_set_global(). Made empty section name equivalent to
the global section.

- Read system wide and home directory config files on Unix
(Ryan Patterson).

Events:

- Added support for injecting user-defined events into event queues.

Audio addon:

- Made the ALSA driver read the device name from the config file (Ryan
Patterson).

Examples:

- Added ex_subbitmap example.

- Added ex_disable_screensaver example.

Build system:

- Rationalised library names and made CMake and SCons build systems
agree on the names.

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

./CMakeLists.txt:483 said:

"Both D3D and OpneGL must be present for the SHARED build.

...When trying to configure CMake for build from SVN sources. ;D

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

It builds fine with msvc 9 express. It seems that if you have the environment variable CC set to 'gcc', cmake will get confused. It still creates msvc project files, but the build process won't complete successfully.

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

No, I just wasn't running through MSVC's Command Prompt (if I forget to run through that, it doesn't find D3D).

I was simply pointing out the typo in the CMakeLists.txt file.

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Wtf? Another release? What are you guys on?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Wtf? Another release? What are you guys on?

Once a month WIP releases till 5.0 is out.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

There's no pleasing some people.

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

Just in case anybody is interested in getting up to speed with the current state of development, I have written a couple of tutorials on how to use the latest version: Allegro 5 Tutorials.

Everything should be accurate and up-to-date for this version.

Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

And if you want to help out on writing the manual for Allegro 5, please contact us ;)

Paul Pridham
Member #250
April 2000

I, for one, welcome our Allegro 5 overlords.

Lots of nice progress, can't wait to try it out.

lemranger
Member #10,003
July 2008

I downloaded 4.9.6 and the CMake 2.6-2 .dmg for Mac OS X. On my iMac (10.5.5) it compiled everything without a hiccup once I went to the "Want" flag in the Config panel of CMake and removed the FLAC, OSS, JPG, and VORBIS libs I didn't have.

Many of the examples ran perfectly, especially the two OpenGL ones. Several kicked out, probably 'cause I didn't have the libs (I'll get them and recompile).

For you Mac heads out there, the CMake panel has a button to pick Xcode for the make and it generated a lovely allegro.xcodeproj file that almost worked. It couldn't find some aintern_xxx_cfg.h files from the addon directories, which had been named aintern_xxx_cfg.h.cmake. On a lark I jabbed my finger in (removed .cmake) but it got worse.

For this beginner/intermediate programmer, the cmake stuff is less easy than the old fix/make/make-install, but it is not a killer.

Anyway - great progress! I think this'll be much easier to work with than SDL because Allegro's text/sound/image stuff is better integrated, even with the addon mechanism you've introduced in 5.

Thomas Fjellstrom said:

Once a month WIP releases till 5.0 is out.

That's impressive. You guys ARE "smokin'"! :D

--Paul

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Quote:

For you Mac heads out there, the CMake panel has a button to pick Xcode for the make and it generated a lovely allegro.xcodeproj file that almost worked. It couldn't find some aintern_xxx_cfg.h files from the addon directories, which had been named aintern_xxx_cfg.h.cmake. On a lark I jabbed my finger in (removed .cmake) but it got worse.

I just downloaded a fresh .tar.gz and built it without any problem
tar -zxf ~/Download/allegro-4.9.6.tar.gz cd allegro-4.9.6/ cmake -G Xcode . xcodebuild
However I do have most of the required libs installed, and I'm on 10.4

Can you post some output of when it doesn't work?

By the way the *.h files should be generated from the .h.cmake files when you run cmake (it's not a simple copy)

Pete

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

I've just acquired a MacBook with Leopard on it (next to my iBook running Tiger), I'll have a go at compiling A5 on that too. I may not have everything installed on it yet.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Hey, thanks Harry, that is exactly what I was looking for. Maybe I will be able to get into the 5.0 API faster.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Just tried on Leopard, but with most dependencies installed and the generated xcode project seemed to work fine for me too.

lemranger
Member #10,003
July 2008

Peter Hull said:

I just downloaded a fresh .tar.gz and built it without any problem

Well, I just spent some time compiling and installing a pile of packages including the command-line version of cmake with your parameters. It worked mostly the same way the .dmg-ed panel did when I used the command-line make but didn't die like when I was within xcode itself (3.1).

Quote:

Can you post some output of when it doesn't work?

There are >35,000 lines to the Allegro xcode cmake log and I'm happy to sort through it all next week when I have some more time. Also, I can go through each of the examples and let you know which ones work on my system and how those that crap out do so. Whatever is useful...

Thanks very much!

--Paul

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

Also, I can go through each of the examples and let you know which ones work on my system and how those that crap out do so.

Do! The more tests we have the better. You may like to start by having a look through the list I made a couple of months (months? Really?!) ago: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=67067059-EB6C-40BD-871E-24E967B3E4A8%40dds.nl&forum_name=alleg-developers
I think most issues reported there should be fixed now, but nice if you could check. There's also some new examples that I may not have tested as thoroughly.

A known OS X issue (non-fatal) is that a resized window doesn't accept keyboard input until after it has been clicked. I'll post that on the tracker, because I don't think it's there yet.

lemranger
Member #10,003
July 2008

I've printed out your test sequence from September and I'll have a go with my intel iMac.

My installation is not right because somehow my OpenAL framework is borked - compiles fine, but:

Quote:

ld warning: in /Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/OpenAL, file is not of required architecture
Undefined symbols:
"_alGetError", referenced from:
__openal_open in openal.o
etc...

This resulted in the audio .dylibs not getting built and the resulting demo and audio examples not getting made.

I noticed in the Readme on external lib dependencies: "OpenAL (only really needed on Mac OS X due to missing native driver)", so I went to creative labs, pulled down "OpenAL Installer for MacOS X" and ran it. Is there a better way to do this?

--Paul

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

My understanding was that the OpenAL framework should be installed by default; I certainly never consciously made an effort to install it and it's there.

Looks like you grabbed an old (non-universal) version. You may want to see if there's a version of it on your installation DVD and install it again from there.

lemranger
Member #10,003
July 2008

Thanks Evert!

I managed to get my libraries set up properly, found out (finally) how to append my PATH (make a file in etc/paths.d with the paths to append) so the necessary files could be found, ran the examples -- and they worked! (I didn't run ex_dualies, ex_joystick_events, or ex_d3d because I didn't have the needed equipment.) The demo worked fine as well. ("y/z" to start? I thought "~/PGDN" was the norm... ;)

My system: iMac 3.06GHz with the 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS graphics card and 2 GB ram / OS X 10.5.5

These five examples had some issues:

$ ex_noframe
2008-11-17 13:36:53.936 ex_noframe[260:10b] *** Assertion failure in -[ALWindow _changeJustMain], /SourceCache/AppKit/AppKit-949.35/AppKit.subproj/NSWindow.m:8598
2008-11-17 13:36:53.937 ex_noframe[260:10b] Invalid parameter not satisfying: [self canBecomeMainWindow]
comment: the mouse button 1 moved the window around, but the button 2 did not toggle the frame (as I think the code says it should have).

$ ex_pixelformat
Display format = 11
Could not create bitmap, format = 3
Could not create bitmap, format = 7
- same as Evert's system

$ ex_threads
2008-11-17 14:19:43.103 ex_threads[401:4c0b] *** _NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x130aa0 of class NSConcreteValue autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
Stack: (0x957a5adf 0x956b21f2 0x95700d66 0x6a95e)
2008-11-17 14:19:43.604 ex_threads[401:5207] *** _NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x1b0340 of class NSConcreteValue autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
etc.. 4 more times

$ ex_ttf
comment: beautiful rendering and I'm really happy about this ttf capability - however, I notice a one pixel dot after each word - same in both 48 or 12 pixel height characters - looks like a bit of dirt.

$ ex_winfull
2008-11-17 14:31:22.329 ex_winfull[436:351b] invalid share context
2008-11-17 14:31:22.330 ex_winfull[436:351b] invalid context
2008-11-17 14:31:36.110 ex_winfull[436:351b] invalid context
comment: when the screen returned, all my windows were pushed to the top of the screen and their bottoms were at the same height, a bit above half-way. I guess that's not what we want to do to our users?

The README has this line under Optional dependencies:
"- OpenAL (only really needed on Mac OS X due to missing native driver)"
which really threw me off. I went to the OpenAL site and downloaded and ran the installation which went to my Library/Frameworks directory and killed a good system. After hunting around, I found the proper libs were still in System/Frameworks and just copied them back and everything was fine. Evert's suggestion would have worked as well. I don't know the point of that comment in the README, but for this Leopard Jockey (well, Leopard "Guy Hanging on for his Life") it caused all the problems I had.

Cmake was great. I used it on the command line like Pete suggested with the xcode config and also with the generic Unix config and both ways with the CMake GUI front end (which was more fun, but less efficient). Did the same for the SVN checkout (thanks to Steven's Tutorials- - good job!)

Very exciting! Big thanks to the A5 team.

--Paul

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

comment: the mouse button 1 moved the window around, but the button 2 did not toggle the frame (as I think the code says it should have).

OSX is a little like X in that the WM isn't required to take notice of changed "hints" till the window is "remapped" (recreated).

edit: I should mention that that particular api WILL change. it'll be replaced with a display flag.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

Quote:

The README has this line under Optional dependencies:
"- OpenAL (only really needed on Mac OS X due to missing native driver)"
which really threw me off. I went to the OpenAL site and downloaded and ran the installation which went to my Library/Frameworks directory and killed a good system. After hunting around, I found the proper libs were still in System/Frameworks and just copied them back and everything was fine. Evert's suggestion would have worked as well. I don't know the point of that comment in the README, but for this Leopard Jockey (well, Leopard "Guy Hanging on for his Life") it caused all the problems I had.

So you mean OpenAL is installed by default on Mac OS X?
[nevermind; I found Evert's reply] Evert, can you update the readme then?

The ex_pixelformat output is expected.

Thanks for testing!

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

So you mean OpenAL is installed by default on Mac OS X?
[nevermind; I found Evert's reply] Evert, can you update the readme then?

Sure!
Let me just check that it really is installed by default and was not pulled in by some other dependency that I installed.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

OpenAL is an integral part of CoreAudio — the, ummmm, core audio library.

EDIT: it's also present on the iPhone.

EDIT2: evidence if it be needed.

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This version compiles perfectly for Visual Studio 2008! The build system must have been tweaked! Maybe now I can continue on some of my projects I've been putting off. Great job guys! :D

Edit:
I've noticed some new examples...I like the noframe example. That's cool. The glext example just pops up and closes right away. I take it my video card does not support some operation being performed. I'll have to take a look at the source code for that one. Again, great job guys!

...Sneaks away to go play with new toy...

--
"Everyone tells me I should forget about you, you don’t deserve me. They’re right, you don’t deserve me, but I deserve you."
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

1   2 

Go to: