Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Windows fails once again

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Windows fails once again
blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Howdy,

So in my attempt to install Visual Express C# 9.0 (2008), I get some random window that I've never seen before that says:

Windows has detected that the application {insert name of installer} is dangerous 
so the application was terminated.

That's not an exact quote, as I am not home right now. Could this be a problem with windows firewall or something?

Ideas? :'(

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

Possibly; I tried to Google things like "application dangerous terminated" (minus quotes in the Google search), but I saw nothing like that, and usually, others would have posted the same warnings somewhere else (on other blogs, forums, etc.).

When you're installing Visual Express, is the installation package a .EXE or a .MSI? I ask because, as explained here,

Quote:

msi is the standard and recommended way of installing windows applications. It's even required now to get the "Certified for Vista" logo from Microsoft.

So if it's MSI, it's possible that you need to update the version of your MSI installer.

This is just pure speculation; let us know if any of this seems to be the problem so we can nail it down better :).

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Actually, a lot programs use .msi inside of a .exe

Don't ask me why. It's the line of thinking where you have a installer installing an installer, to install the installer that will install the program you want on the system.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

At least in the OS X realm, the point of the package installer* is that it supplies a bill of materials which provides a bunch of information about what is being supplied and what is needed such that the OS can figure out what needs copying and what doesn't. By keeping the bill of materials around, a user can also find out which files are associated with which packages. Possibly Microsoft's MSI is doing a very similar thing?

• which is mainly used for the minority of programs that need to throw files all over the place and the few Windows conversions by developers who really don't care at all for user experience, 95% of programs are just near-instantaneous disk image drag 'n' drop installs.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Well here's the window I get:

http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596941

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

Per-program DEP configuration
For the purposes of program compatibility, you can selectively disable DEP for individual 32-bit programs when DEP is set to the OptOut policy level. To do this, use the Data Execution Prevention tab in System Properties to selectively disable DEP for a program. For IT professionals, a new program compatibility fix that is named DisableNX is included with Windows XP SP2. The DisableNX compatibility fix disables Data Execution Prevention for the program that the fix is applied to.

The DisableNX compatibility fix can be applied to a program by using the Application Compatibility Toolkit. For more information about Windows application compatibility, see Windows Application Compatibility on the following Microsoft Web site:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/aa905066.aspx

Maybe? source

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Alright, I disabled it. I'll try installing Visual Studio C# again...

no luck. It still fails.

---

Hard Rock
Member #1,547
September 2001

Download it again and then try it.

The error you're getting is the check that prevents execution of memory that should contain data (eg Allegro's compiled sprites were affected if I recall correctly). There should be no reason for the installer to require invoking that. Reasons you are getting this could vary from your package being corrupt, having a virus on your machine, or you managed to really break your windows install some how.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Quote:

or you managed to really break your windows install some how

I think that's the problem. I've had so many issues with this machine that I've had to recover windows 4 times in the past few years. :'(

Downloading and trying again didn't work. Turning off the data execution prevention didn't work. I have no viruses (at least from what the scans report).

I need a new machine! :'(

---

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

After you turned off DEP, what did it do/say? It should not say anything about DEP if it is actually off.

--
"Everyone tells me I should forget about you, you don’t deserve me. They’re right, you don’t deserve me, but I deserve you."
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

It just said "You must restart your computer in order for the changes to take effect". But DEP still works even after I turn it off and restart.

---

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

Sounds like a configuration issue with your install of windows. It should turn off if you are doing it correctly, unless there is something jacked with your install. I'm guessing your using XP. Have you tried to set a DEP exception for this program?

Edit:
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596943

--
"Everyone tells me I should forget about you, you don’t deserve me. They’re right, you don’t deserve me, but I deserve you."
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Yes, that is exactly what I did. But after I restarted, it set itself back to the top option. I also tried changing it in the boot.ini file but that also had no effect.

---

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

Quote:

Yes, that is exactly what I did. But after I restarted, it set itself back to the top option. I also tried changing it in the boot.ini file but that also had no effect.

Is there really anything in the boot.ini file that has to do with DEP? (I'm asking because I don't know, not trying to be an ass. What did you change in the boot.ini?) :-X

Also, when it goes back to the default option on you, are your DEP entries still listed in the bottom window and grayed out, or does it forget them too? :-/

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

I changed some setting in the boot.ini file from

/noexecute=OptIn

To

/noexecute=AlwaysOff

Yes, those are real options.

My entries are still listed in the bottom window, but they're grayed out.

---

Cody Harris
Member #4,406
March 2004

Isn't this also a BIOS option?

---------------------------------
Homepage - Art (Photography)
I'm QBasicer on #allegro on Freenode.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

I fixed it! But cookies to all who helped anyway. :D

---

Go to: