Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Removing drivers with recovery console?

Credits go to Bob Keane, Cody Harris, Edgar Reynaldo, and jhuuskon for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Removing drivers with recovery console?
Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Hello everyone.

I have a small problem. A computer in my houshold has started reseting all the time. I first checked what the error is. It says it crashes because of some sound file (**audio.sys). I guess that its a driver error.

So, I tried reverting the system back to the last good configuration. Doesn't work. It comes to the welcome screen, shows it for a fraction of a second, then it resets the computer.

I need help now with removing this sound driver with the Windows recovery console. Anyone know how to do this? I never had to remove any driver with the RC so I don't know. :-/

I hope somebody can help, this is the last resort before format C: :-D

Thanks.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Cody Harris
Member #4,406
March 2004

I had problems with some random system file, but it actually turned out to be my antivirus' firewall causing a system stop. At first I thought it was something wrong with the power supply, as it would just randomly reboot, but when I turned on the blue screen thingy, I was able to diagnose what's going on.

---------------------------------
Homepage - Art (Photography)
I'm QBasicer on #allegro on Freenode.

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

I don't think the driver itself crashes it. I'm going to bet that it's a memory chip fault that causes an error in the driver, as it usually is the case with random reboots. You should test it memtest86 to be sure.

You don't deserve my sig.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Hmmm... That could be a possibility. But I am running Knoppix on this computer and its working. Could it still be a memory error?

I will run memtest and see what it shows, thanks for the suggestion. :)

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I am not familiar with recovery console, is safe mode still available? I would suggest using safe mode to remove the driver and work the problem from there.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Sorry, I didn't mention this. Nothing works. Not Safe Mode, not Debug Mode, no nothing. It resets immediately when the welcome screen shows. :-/

Memtest is running, I have to wait for it to finish to see if its a memory problem.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Press the f8 key before the welcome screen comes up. If you get the welcome screen, its too late.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

@Bob Keane: I tried F8. Thats where I tried Safe/Debug mode.

Edgar said:

How/when did this start happening? Were you installing new audio drivers?

I don't know much, because I don't use the computer, but my sister said that the av reported a virus, then, some time later, it reset itself and now its like this. She didn't delete the virus because she didn't know what to click. Maybe it started running havoc on the computer and deleted some key files?

So no, I wasn't installing no new audio drivers. Maybe the virus corrupted them?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Quote:

But I am running Knoppix on this computer and its working.

Quote:

So no, I wasn't installing no new audio drivers. Maybe the virus corrupted them?

That or it infected some system dlls that it uses. Are there any portable virus scanners you could run from within the Knoppix environment? Get rid of the viruses and then try a repair install. That's my recommendation.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Okay, so the menu comes up but does not allow you to select from it. TFM on recovery console gives you three commands. LISTSVC will show a complete list of all services and drivers on the system, along with the current status. DISABLE <driver> will stop it and ENABLE <driver> will restart it. Nothing about removing them though. The book does suggest reinstalling on top of an installation and hope the procedure recovers enough of your old settings. Read MS document 315341 before you do it though. Good luck.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Well it does work, I can select them and enable them, but it just resets the same. I will try Edgars approach first, scanning the HD from Knoppix. If that fails, I will try disabling the driver. Then I will reinstall Windows if it fails.

I hope it doesn't come to that, I hate installing everything from scratch.

Thank you very much guys, you suggested possibilities I would never consider! :)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

I know. I think the repair installation deletes the registry so you keep your programs but its like they are not installed. I don't care, I just need some data, then I can do a full format.

I hope it wasn't a virus. And if it was, I hope it didn't destroy much.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I just RTFM again. Check knowledgebase article 312369 before you do the repair install, if you have to.

meinaW
Member #7,943
November 2006

Hope its not too late but Windows rebooting after the welcome screen is usually caused by corrupted system files.

in recovery console:
CHKDSK /p
FIXMBR
FIXBOOT

That should fix any restarting problems up to the welcome screen. AAH Thats what happens when i get 1 week work experience at a maintenance and repair store. ;D

(NOTE. I haven't tested this with a computer that has a ext3 drive, it might cause problems with the MBR)

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Thank you for that. But I found out about a tool that enables me to use System Restore even without Windows booting. Its called Winternals ERD Commander. I just used System Restore with it and now everything seems to be working.

I'm definitely bookmarking this thread for future reference. Again, thank you all.

Go to: