Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Dev-C++ quirks

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Dev-C++ quirks
Schyfis
Member #9,752
May 2008

Since I began using Dev-C++, I started noticing odd things that it does.
First, take a look at this picture.
{"name":"popup.PNG","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/7\/b72dcafc941a8b1f57515bcfa8b187f4.png","w":392,"h":335,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/7\/b72dcafc941a8b1f57515bcfa8b187f4"}popup.PNG
Does anyone know what the contents of this pop-up box mean? More importantly, is there a way to disable it? It's really annoying.

This picture speaks for itself:
{"name":"sentence.bmp","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/5\/2515097b193204c178c9253b826b5910.png","w":445,"h":224,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/5\/2515097b193204c178c9253b826b5910"}sentence.bmp
Any ideas on this one?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[freedwill.us]
[unTied Games]

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

The first looks like an attempt at autocompletion. I have no idea on the second one. You might want to consider switching to Code::Blocks - it's a much saner IDE than the buggy mess that is Dev-C++.
And for the record, BMP is not a web-appropriate format. :P

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

You're on Windows, so I'd recommend MSVC Express. It's by far the best free IDE out there.

Schyfis
Member #9,752
May 2008

I know, I know. I just wasn't really in the mood to convert it to PNG. If anyone has trouble viewing it, I'll convert it.
As for MSVC, I tried it but was unable to get Allegro to work with it. I would always get an error saying that it couldn't find the Allegro header files or something like that. Besides, free space is valuable on a 40GB laptop hard drive, and I think the MSVC install came out at 2GB. When you compare that to my current 4.16GB of free space, it's easy to see how valuable it is. ;)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[freedwill.us]
[unTied Games]

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

The last release of dev-c++ was 42 months ago. :-X

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Quote:

I think the MSVC install came out at 2GB. When you compare that to my current 4.16GB of free space, it's easy to see how valuable it is.

MSVC Express. MSVC# express installation is around 120mb, I don't think the C++ version would be much bigger...

You don't deserve my sig.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I went to Bloodshed's website, noticed only betas were offered. Maybe I did not look far enough into the site. I remember installing it and seeing something about pop up help blocks, perhaps a reinstall will fix the problem? If you tell me what options are listed under tools, I might remember more.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Quote:

I know, I know. I just wasn't really in the mood to convert it to PNG.

You know, even MS Paint can save directly to PNG these days. No conversion necessary (assuming you print screen and had it on your clipboard anyway).

And MSVC Express is nowhere near 2GB. It's pretty slim. And I don't think that 2GB figure is for MSVC (non Express) alone... my installation of VS 2008 is only clocking in at 1.7GB. VS 2005 with just about everything on here is 2.29GB as well.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I just installed Dev C++ 4.9.9.2 (? version number). Try going into tools, editor options, class browsing, completion at the bottom of the screen, then unselect use code completion cache.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

dev-c++ SUCKS. MSVC is the only real IDE. 'nuff said.

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Gnatinator
Member #2,330
May 2002

Dev-C++ is really really old. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone anymore. I would recommend Code::Blocks (www.codeblocks.org). It's fantastic, and outclasses Dev-C++ in almost every way.

Gr4|\|f
Member #9,499
February 2008

Suggestion: Stop trying to code with Windows. Others have tried, and look at the abominations that they've made:

-Microsoft Outlook
-AVG Free Update Manager
-Dev-C++
-Newer versions of Windows (Vista shudder)
-Hell (cmd shell)
-edlin
-QBasic
-Windows Live

The list goes on... Don't allow yourself to join the Lost.

Ping me @ 127.0.0.1

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Ah yes, because everything every written for every OS works wonderfully. ::)

Suggestion: Don't listen to idiots.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

If you really must use an IDE, stay away from Dev-Cpp. MSVC is quite good, although it does things differently compared to GNU-based tools (ie XML-based "projects" and "solutions" instead of the Unix-style makefile approach), which makes coding in a cross-platform way a bit harder (but not too much IMO).
OTOH, you don't NEED an IDE; in fact, I think working with a more spartanic set of tools can make you a better programmer. For a minimalist setup, all you need is a command line, the compiler itself (MinGW is pretty much the only serious option for windows other than MSVC), and a decent text editor. Notepad will do if you're desperate, but otherwise, I'd recommend SciTE or Notepad++. You'll be forced to develop a few key skills that make your life easier but are often neglected when using an IDE: good coding style, using makefiles, refactoring early, compiler options, etc. etc. In other words, it builds character ;D Plus you'll gain a better understanding of what's happening "under the hood" when you hit F7.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Gr4|\|f
Member #9,499
February 2008

Quote:

Ah yes, because everything every written for every OS works wonderfully.
suggetion: don't listen to idiots

Exaggeration misinterpreted as generalization? Humor converted to Evidence for Idiocy? It sounds like you're the one in need of repremandation.

Ping me @ 127.0.0.1

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Suggestion: Don't try to code with Linux. Others have tried, and look at the abominations that they've made:

-GNU!
-KDE
-Gnome
-fluxbox
-icewm
-The Gimp
-Blender
-Open Office
-ndiswrapper

Gr4|\|f
Member #9,499
February 2008

Quote:

Suggestion: Don't try to code with Linux. Others have tried, and look at the abominations that they've made:

-GNU!
-KDE
-Gnome
-fluxbox
-icewm
-The Gimp
-Blender
-Open Office
-ndiswrapper

;D

Ping me @ 127.0.0.1

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

owned.

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I think we've been had. Schyfis clearly intended this thread to become a flame war regarding IDEs. A pox on his house!>:(

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Don't try to code with an IDE at all. Others have tried, and look at the abominations that they've made:

-Microsoft Outlook
-AVG Free Update Manager
-Dev-C++
-Newer versions of Windows (Vista shudder)
-Hell (cmd shell)
-edlin
-QBasic
-Windows Live
//-GNU! old skool
-KDE
-Gnome
-fluxbox
-icewm
-The Gimp
-Blender
-Open Office
-ndiswrapper

The list goes on... Be sane, use a text editor and compiler from the command line.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Don't use a text editor, it was likely programmed in an IDE and is thus tainted. Use pen and paper, and claim user error when the program does nothing.

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

I'm not so convinced 'edlin' was written with an ide. It was made in 1980 and I don't think there was much in the way of ide's back then.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

The IDE only displayed one line at a time :-X

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Go to: