Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Xbox 360 controller and usb plug for PC

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Xbox 360 controller and usb plug for PC
ixilom
Member #7,167
April 2006

Has anyone used <paste subject here>? Does it work okay?

I was thinking of buying one so I can try to develop stuff in XNA on Windows, but keeping xbox 360 and its controller in mind :)

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I built one for a normal xbox controller. They were (dunno if the 360 is, but I imagine so as well) USB already with just a different plug. So it should work great, it will connect natively and you just install the driver.

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=091

You dont actually need to modify it, they work natively.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

ixilom
Member #7,167
April 2006

Hmm, 360 controllers are wireless so it doesn't have a usb plug at all, thats why I was wondering about the PC usb plug (receiver).

I know there is a Windows version of the controller (with wire), but thats not what I want :P

Todd Cope
Member #998
November 2000

Edit: nevermind, I misunderstood what you were asking.

Epsi
Member #5,731
April 2005

Quote:

Hmm, 360 controllers are wireless so it doesn't have a usb plug at all, thats why I was wondering about the PC usb plug (receiver).

Core version of the console are using USB controllers. Those USB controllers works on both Windows and XBOX360 (I got one for XNA development). The "for Windows" packaging is the same with a driver CD.
Remember that the USB charge&play kit for wireless ones does not transmit any data and cannot be used.

What you will need is to buy the wireless receiver for PCs.
{"name":"xbox360-wireless-receiver.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/b\/1b6a1ae394c0608dff5533144a3f3ec1.jpg","w":294,"h":360,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/b\/1b6a1ae394c0608dff5533144a3f3ec1"}xbox360-wireless-receiver.jpg

I haven't tested it but I don't really see what you are asking. It's not like it's going to red ring of death... ::)

piccolo: "soon all new 2d alegro games will be better. after i finsh my MMRPG. my game will serve as a code reference. so you can understand and grab code from."
piccolo: "just wait until my invetion comes out its going to take the wii to the next leave of game play. it will run sony and microsoft out of busness if i dont let them use it aswell."

ixilom
Member #7,167
April 2006

Has anyone used <paste subject here>? Does it work okay?

Replace <paste subject here> with "Xbox 360 controller and usb plug for PC"
and it becomes:
Has anyone used Xbox 360 controller and usb plug for PC? Does it work okay?

Wasn't that hard now was it? :P Okay, I should have mentioned that I got the wireless controller ;)

Short and simple, does the wireless receiver for PC work okay?

Epsi
Member #5,731
April 2005

Oh sorry my bad, I almost understood your topic as asking for help or advices, I didn't knew that you just wanted to create a perfectly useless thread.

What could you possibly expect as answers ?

Quote:

NOOOOO! Don't buy it! I Once bought a <im too lazy to copy paste a topic> and my cat caught on fire while my little sister had a bluetooth induced seizure!!1 Next time I'll make sure she keeps here tinfoil hat on"

Quote:

I would seriously advice against buying this receiver as you lack the tactile feedback of USB cables which in return will affect your overall old school gaming experience

Quote:

OMG It's the best wireless receiver ever made for XBOX360 controllerz!!!!111 and the only one too

It is just a simple wireless receiver, you plug it in and it works. ::)

piccolo: "soon all new 2d alegro games will be better. after i finsh my MMRPG. my game will serve as a code reference. so you can understand and grab code from."
piccolo: "just wait until my invetion comes out its going to take the wii to the next leave of game play. it will run sony and microsoft out of busness if i dont let them use it aswell."

raist0069
Member #2,736
September 2002

ixilom said:

Short and simple, does the wireless receiver for PC work okay?

I got one for my wireless guitar. The guitar and regular wireless controller work perfectly once the drivers are installed.

ixilom
Member #7,167
April 2006

Epsi said:

Lots of jibberish you would expect from a 5 year old

I bet everything everyone has ever bought has worked flawlessly ::)

I was expecting people to read, comprehend and then reply in a mature manner.
Sure, as I said I should have mentioned that I got the wireless controller to begin with. But there is no need to be a dimwit about it.

raist0069 said:

I got one for my wireless guitar. The guitar and regular wireless controller work perfectly once the drivers are installed.

Thank you for the answer :)

Erikster
Member #9,510
February 2008

Alright, some help for you.

1) There is a way to plug in a wireless controller to the Computer through the USB. There are batteries that are rechargeable, and there are packages which have the rechargable battery and a wire which hooks up to your 360 via its USB port. This same wire hooks up to your computer's USB.

2)Works best on Windows (of course).

Cat! I'm a kitty cat. And I dance dance dance, and I dance dance dance.

kikabo
Member #3,679
July 2003

I bought a wired controller, works perfectly

Biznaga
Member #3,180
January 2003

I was also thinking of buying an XBox 360 controller to try XNA. Doesn't the Xbox 360 controller works similarly to the PS3 controller? I mean, I have a PS3 and the controller are wireless, but they "become wired" by connecting a USB cable. I've actually used the PS3 controller to play on the PC. Isn't the XBox controller the same? Can it have a USB cable plugged into it? ???

[EDIT]
By what I've read in this thread so far, it seems there are at least two kinds of XBox360 controllers: wired and wireless? Am I right?

Erikster
Member #9,510
February 2008

@ Biznaga: That is correct, but the wireless controllers can be attached to a wire with a USB port. That's what the OP needs.

(These wires come with the rechargable batteries)

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Actually, the wireless requires a receiver as Epsi showed a picture of. The only data sent through the wire of those recharge cables is that the controller is plugged in being recharged. You still need the wireless receiver (which makes you use two USB ports on your computer if you happen to be limited)

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Erikster
Member #9,510
February 2008

Hmmm, so Microsoft didn't do the smart thing and made it so the recharge cables could send more data???

How could they screw this up?[/sarcasm]

ixilom
Member #7,167
April 2006

Seems the only way I can use my existing wireless xbox360 controller on PC is with the wireless receiver (Which has been confirmed to work as it should). I don't really want to buy yet another controller with wire.

Too bad the recharger doesn't send any data, because I'm guessing I will need to recharge my batteries any time soon ;)

Biznaga
Member #3,180
January 2003

So, for once Sony did things simpler? :o
I like how the PS3 controller can use a standard MiniUSB-USB wire and be recharged by connecting it to the console.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Does the controller really operate over the usb cable while charging, or does it still use bluetooth (as I suspect it does)?

Biznaga
Member #3,180
January 2003

I'm not sure, but I can both play and recharge the controller. I think it really sends input data through the USB cable, since it does it when I plug it into the PC -which of course can't comunicate with the controller using bluetooth-.

Go to: