Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Vatican and aliens

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
Vatican and aliens
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

That cannot be ruled out, but it does seem somewhat unlikely, don't you agree?

Unlikely, but so is our own existence depending on who you talk to.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

Unlikely, but so is our own existence depending on who you talk to.

According to some, so unlikely that they reason a divine entity had to make circumstances just right for us to be here, otherwise there would be only one or two places in the universe where you could expect life to be, and what would be the odds that that happened to be us in that case?

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

My point was that logic such as if a then b was not always known. George Booles algebras was invented after all. And people like the 17th and 18th century mathematicians often viewed such investigations as revealing Gods truth. Then the question is: how narrow is your definition of God?

AngelChild
Member #3,401
April 2003

Surely the real question is why go to all the effort of working top-down when you can reverse engineer the universe far more efficiently bottom-up?

-----
The loyal minion of Bob Keane.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Quote:

That in itself is an assumption. We use it because it happens to work.

Mathematics and logic have no assumptions. We don't assume anything, ever. There are a number of axioms that are defined to be true, and then everything else follows from those. It cannot be wrong. It is definitely true.

The application of maths to the real world (physics, science and what-not) relies on certain assumptions which we use "because it happens to work". Do not confuse this with mathematics.

-----------

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

Quote:

Logic has nothing to do with faith

Tell that to a vulcan. ;D

By the way: according to my religion, noone sees the whole "world*" as it is. All we see are different "maps" of that world, so we at least have some idea where we are going. Weather such a map is "good" depends on what you want to do with it. For a cyclist, a roadmap for cars is quite useless and vice versa.

• actually everything there is

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

AngelChild
Member #3,401
April 2003

Whilst it's true that we all see the world differently, we can at least agree on certain concepts - we can generally agree that when we see the colour blue that it is called "blue", whatever any of us actually percieve that as mentally. Okay, you can theorise about that all you want. The difference between science and what we call religion is it seems to me that religions make stuff up based on what "feels" right whereas science observes and experiments to ensure that its theories are correct. I can see why, for example, the good christian god exists - it's comforting to invent a father figure who cannot ever be corrupted and who genuinely has your best interests at heart and cares about you. I've been there, I've believed, really believed it.

However, that doesn't mean that everything we believe is true. In fact, one reason that the scientific method is so good at determining useful (true) beliefs about the world is because it constantly tries to disprove them - only the ones that have survived all we can throw at them are the ones we can truly say we believe. Just because I can believe there is a teapot orbitting the sun, does not make it the case. Evidence is the key, my dear Watson :).

-----

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

You know, there are religions that are based on observations and naturally evolved with humanity. Those religions have a lot of concepts in common with eachother and even with sience... No wonder if you know that science as we know it sprouted from those very religions.

The only "problem" with sience is you can never know the workings of everything let alone proof them. but still there are things you "know" to be true without evidence.

I'm sure in time more and more of the concepts of my religion will be proven ( it hapend before) But it's impossible to proof them all. One reason is sience always seems to bee looking at just one gear of the clockworkand say .. there is no evidence this gear moves any hand ;)

Sience is a tool to work with in a part of this world, but no more than that.

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)

AngelChild
Member #3,401
April 2003

Well, I'd argue that all beliefs have been formed through observation:

"Hey, if we plant this at this time of year then the plants grow stronger, surely the forces of nature are with us".

"This universe we're in... it must have some reason to exist. I mean, that cloud exists to rain upon us, this tree exists to provide us with fruit to eat. I create things like tools and I'm the only thing I know which creates things, therefore whatever created me must have been like me!". Douglas Adams has said it far better than I.

Belief systems (including what we might casually refer to as religion) are all likely to contain similar concepts - we're all similar beings, we all think similarly (see comment about colour). Our differences are minor, thus I believe our fantastical thinking will be minor in its differences. Not to say that we cannot believe a wide variety of things, the human imagination is a marvelous thing! As far as I'm aware science has its roots in natural philosophy, which of course is trying to do the same as a lot of religion - explain the nature of the universe we're in.

I don't see where you're coming from with your "problem" - all I feel is biological in nature. I might feel that I'm hungry - that feeling has come about through millions of years of evolution. Basically, anything that didn't feel the urge to eat didn't eat and did not reproduce. Natural selection is a simple concept and easily simulated, it's not hard to see that occurring over a period of billions of years to produce us. Surely you are forming a hypothesis about the world based upon your feelings (that you've observed you have) then attempting to explain that by your further observations about the world?

The difference between this and the scientific method is that the scientific method does not claim to know what it is searching for - there's always room for improvement and it assumes nothing at the start of the search. I'd argue this is far more likely to find us the "truth", if such exists. Science is a tool, yes, but it's by far the best tool we have for finding out about who and what we are and where and why we exist :).

If you can provide me consistent evidence to prove your beliefs, I'd be glad to look at it and decide for myself :).

-----

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

we can generally agree that when we see the colour blue that it is called "blue", whatever any of us actually percieve that as mentally.

Actually, no, we can't. There was an interesting article about this in either New Scientist or Scientific American a while back, and although it seems clear that we all agree on calling a particular range of colours "blue", this is not actually so clear.
I think there was even the claim that people who were never taught to see the difference between blue and green (might have been two other colours, I don't remember), say because their language has no separate words for blue and green, actually do not see the difference. Conversely, people who were taught to distinguish between shades of what we would call blue as two different colours could more easily tell them apart than someone who was not taught the difference. It sounds odd, but things are not as straightforward as they appear.

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

- not ALL beliefs, but some religions

Quote:

Hey, if we plant this at this time of year then the plants grow stronger, surely the forces of nature are with us".

That is a good example especially if nature as a whole is your "god"

Quote:

This universe we're in... it must have some reason to exist. I mean, that cloud exists to rain upon us, this tree exists to provide us with fruit to eat. I create things like tools and I'm the only thing I know which creates things, therefore whatever created me must have been like me!".

Did you ever wonder why the world works the way it does.. why is there a self correcting balance. despite all humanity's efforts to make a mess out of it.

According to sience our thinking is nothing more than an electrochemical reaction.
Samewise sience tries to deny there is any intelligence or force bigger than us ruling the world. Probably because some people don't like the idea. I hope you see the analogy of this.

At some point in history the five elements where dropped by sience as being useless. The problem is .. middle-agers didn't understand their meaning.
They're not "building blocks" !

you can't live without air
you can't live without water
you can't live without earth ( all living things must eat)
you can't live without fire ( If you don't burn ( betabolise) anything you're dead)
and without your spirit you wouldn't be here at all.

A change in one of these can and will cause a change in any of the other 5.
Take away air or earth and your fire goes out

If all is just molecules then tell me what is life ?

A concept sience HAS proven .. "All is in vibration" even earht itself

@Evert our eyes are less sensitive in gradations of blue than in other colors.

wiseguy
Member #44
April 2000

Quote:

So you're saying that 1 + 1 is not 2?

Well, humans invented the numbers and things used in mathematics and science. In an alien math book it might look like 4 + 9 = 2. Humans understand their world through the concepts we create to explain the things we didn't understand before. There are countless theorems that can never be proven, and the only reason some theorems became laws is because they were "proven" through other former theorems, without ever being disproven.

Everything is subjective. If you don't believe the world is round, for you it isn't. If you believe that you are God, to you, you are. There is no absolute except when you except something as absolute.

Just my 2 cents :)

AngelChild
Member #3,401
April 2003

Quote:

There was an interesting article about this in either New Scientist or Scientific American a while back, and although it seems clear that we all agree on calling a particular range of colours "blue", this is not actually so clear.

That sounds reasonable, and is an interesting thought, but in a society where we have the concept of a "colour" and the concept of a colour that is "blue" (and the concepts of "concept" and "being" (is)) we can agree (I hope) that the potentially different impulses and neuron firings that consitute our sensing a given range of wavelengths of light are, indeed, within a similar general range we agree to label "blue" ;). Ahh, semantics.

Quote:

I think there was even the claim that people who were never taught to see the difference between blue and green (might have been two other colours, I don't remember), say because their language has no separate words for blue and green, actually do not see the difference. Conversely, people who were taught to distinguish between shades of what we would call blue as two different colours could more easily tell them apart than someone who was not taught the difference. It sounds odd, but things are not as straightforward as they appear.

From the all-knowing source that is Stephen Fry and the QI team, it would appear that the ancient greeks didn't percieve colour in the way we do. It's fascinating to know that our thoughts are apparently constrained by the words we use and our gramatical constructs. Here's an interesting thread on the QI forums I just found on the topic :).

Quote:

Did you ever wonder why the world works the way it does

Frequently! Science is the only method I've found of reliably working out even a fraction of what really is.

Quote:

why is there a self correcting balance. despite all humanity's efforts to make a mess out of it.

I think all of those extinct species we've run into the ground might disagree with you. Why should there be a balance? The only reason I see for a balance in nature is that all of the species of plant, animal, bacteria and what have you have evolved in an environment containing the others. Given that natural selection and thus evolution enables new generations to contain mostly those offspring who have adapted to the environment sufficiently to have offspring of their own, I think there is a balance inherent in this method. Humanity is very successful at producing offspring and, to an unprecedented degree, we can adapt to our surroundings without requiring many new generations to do so. I think assuming that there is a balance in the world without our directly contributing to that balance is a dangerous place for all of us to be when we consider the future of our species. "Oh, launch that nuke then, nature will balance things out in our favour". What's so special about humans anyway?

Quote:

According to sience our thinking is nothing more than an electrochemical reaction.

Well, that would appear to be the case. Why, if we can explain the processes in our brain, even if we don't yet know, for example, exactly the processes that lead to the formation of belief and morality, do you feel the need to invoke any other explanation?

Quote:

Samewise sience tries to deny there is any intelligence or force bigger than us ruling the world. Probably because some people don't like the idea. I hope you see the analogy of this.

I disagree. The scientific method does not deny that there is a greater intelligence, it's just that there is no evidence for one given the simpler explanations we already have (and can test, with repeatable results). Why, if we can explain our existence through chemical processes, need we invoke a deity or "higher hand"'s involvement? God's been remarkably lazy... If you can provide me with observations and evidence for the existence of a higher power, I will gladly take it into consideration. If it turns out I'm wrong, then so be it, I'll have been wrong - your new theory will replace the old, and I will believe in your beliefs, because you have shown me, in a repeatable fashion, that it is the case. That's how science works. However, I have seen no evidence that we need to invoke a god to explain our existence and much evidence that we could be formed simply from chemical processes and the physical "laws" of the universe.

The universe is a fascinating place just as it is, why do we need to find ways to make it more complicated than it really is? :)

Quote:

If all is just molecules then tell me what is life ?

You just said it. Conciousness appears to be merely an emergent effect of billions of years of natural selection and evolution.

EDIT:

Quote:

Well, humans invented the numbers and things used in mathematics and science. In an alien math book it might look like 4 + 9 = 2.

To a degree I think you're correct, however there's a difference between how we describe a concept and the fact that it exists - we use a base ten number system, so our value for pi is 3.14(etc). However, that doesn't affect the fact that there is a ratio between the circumference and the radius of a perfect circle and that its a measurable constant (at least where we are here in the universe). The number system is subjective and arbitrary, the fact that there is a ratio which exists is universally true (to the best of our efforts to disprove it :)).

Quote:

Humans understand their world through the concepts we create to explain the things we didn't understand before. There are countless theorems that can never be proven, and the only reason some theorems became laws is because they were "proven" through other former theorems, without ever being disproven.

Everything can potentially be disproven. Our best model of the world so far consists of all of those theorums we have as yet not disproven. It might be that some of those theorums will never be disproven, but you can't rule out the fact that they might be. Some things have just survived experimentation for far long and in far wider contexts than others.

Quote:

Everything is subjective. If you don't believe the world is round, for you it isn't.

But that doesn't change the fact that the planet we live on is a globe :).

Quote:

If you believe that you are God, to you, you are. There is no absolute except when you except something as absolute.

I can believe I can throw lighting from my hands. That doesn't change the fact that, as hard as I might try, I cannot in my current state throw lightning from my hands :).

-----

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

What if I told you that evolution is the conciousness of mother nature ?
atleast a part of it.

still we know what life is but we can't give a sientific definition.
As a witch I know that besides Living and dead(lifeless) things there are things that have only a small piece of "life" in them. they're not completely lifeless nor are they completely living.

and what about earth itself ? there is metabolism in the big picture...

Quote:

I think all of those extinct species we've run into the ground might disagree with you. Why should there be a balance? The only reason I see for a balance in nature is that all of the species of plant, animal, bacteria and what have you have evolved in an environment containing the others. Given that natural selection and thus evolution enables new generations to contain mostly those offspring who have adapted to the environment sufficiently to have offspring of their own, I think there is a balance inherent in this method. Humanity is very successful at producing offspring and, to an unprecedented degree, we can adapt to our surroundings without requiring many new generations to do so. I think assuming that there is a balance in the world without our directly contributing to that balance is a dangerous place for all of us to be when we consider the future of our species. "Oh, launch that nuke then, nature will balance things out in our favour". What's so special about humans anyway?

Offcourse we contribute to that balance aswell, but nature as a whole clearly does it's best to recover from imbalance. I didn't say we couldn't create a disaster. Nature WILL balance thing out, of that I'm sure, but she won't do it in our favour if we go too far !

I believe it is our task to care for the world, and we're not doing well at the moment I'm affraid. We're not "special" in the meaning we can do what we want with anything and everything. We may use the world but it is not ours.

As for the rest of my believes:
We all, all living things are spirits, some having a physical body, some more than one ( compare: super organism), some had a body but not anymore and some never had one. As live evolves so do our spirits, wich is what we actually are. They make you , you and me , me.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

Did you ever wonder why the world works the way it does.. why is there a self correcting balance. despite all humanity's efforts to make a mess out of it.

Because the world is a dynamical and complicated system capable of dealing with minor perturbations - because in the end that's all we are: a minor perturbation. The world can cope with the impact of meteors, nothing we can do comes close.

Quote:

So what?
Does that notion somehow alter the fact that you're a living, breathing, thinking human being?

Quote:

sience tries to deny there is any intelligence or force bigger than us ruling the world

Science says nothing about there being or there not being a higher intelligence. Science does, however, offer you a way to study and possibly explain, say, cloud formation and wheather patterns without needing a wheather deity.

Quote:

At some point in history the five elements where dropped by sience as being useless.

Yes and good riddance. You're arbitrarily sticking labels on things that are needed to survive that correspond to the classical elements. This makes sense in a cluture that doesn't know better as a way to systematise empirical knowledge, but such a phenemenological classification does not teach you anything about the underlying structure or processes.

Quote:

our eyes are less sensitive in gradations of blue than in other colors.

Congratulations. You completely missed the point of my message.

Quote:

humans invented the numbers and things used in mathematics and science. In an alien math book it might look like 4 + 9 = 2.

Matehmatics is discovered, not invented. Mathematical structures and relations exist whether we know about them or not. This is quite a different topic, however, that I've seen people debate ad nauseam and that I have no interest in getting into. Leaving that point aside, one apple plus one apple is two apples, even if you come from a completely alien world. So no, even if you're from a planet half way across the galaxy, 1+1=2.

Quote:

That sounds reasonable, and is an interesting thought, but in a society where we have the concept of a "colour" and the concept of a colour that is "blue" (and the concepts of "concept" and "being" (is)) we can agree (I hope) that the potentially different impulses and neuron firings that consitute our sensing a given range of wavelengths of light are, indeed, within a similar general range we agree to label "blue"

That's just the thing: no two human beings are alike and the frequency response of different eyes are different. The interpretation of a particular response as "blue" is done in the brain, which has to be trained to make the distinction. I don't know if one can go so far as to say that seeing colour is something that has to be learned (independently of your eyes being able to do it), but I think it is.

Quote:

From the all-knowing source that is Stephen Fry and the QI team, it would appear that the ancient greeks didn't percieve colour in the way we do. It's fascinating to know that our thoughts are apparently constrained by the words we use and our gramatical constructs.

Even more striking, perhaps: what we would call an ascending sequence of tones, the ancient Greeks would have called a descending sequence of tones - the nomenclature of "high" and "low" tones was reversed (source: a book called "Music and Mathematics" or something to that effect that I leant to a friend a while back and haven't got back yet). To me at least that's completely counter-intuitive and sounds insane.

Quote:

The universe is a fascinating place just as it is, why do we need to find ways to make it more complicated than it really is? :)

Words taken right out my heart! :D

AngelChild
Member #3,401
April 2003

Quote:

That's just the thing: no two human beings are alike and the frequency response of different eyes are different. The interpretation of a particular response as "blue" is done in the brain, which has to be trained to make the distinction. I don't know if one can go so far as to say that seeing colour is something that has to be learned (independently of your eyes being able to do it), but I think it is.

I doubt we have to learn to distinguish between coloured regions, I suspect that's built in. Our ancestors who ate the green things probably prospered compared to those who decided to try and eat rocks (dodgy explanation, but I hope you catch my meaning). Matching a particular response to "blue" is something I strongly suspect needs to be learned, but only so that we can talk and reason about blue things. I think you're right - explicitly reasoning about colour is something which is learned and not exactly intuitive.

Quote:

Even more striking, perhaps: what we would call an ascending sequence of tones, the ancient Greeks would have called a descending sequence of tones - the nomenclature of "high" and "low" tones was reversed (source: a book called "Music and Mathematics" or something to that effect that I leant to a friend a while back and haven't got back yet). To me at least that's completely counter-intuitive and sounds insane.

It seems counter-intuitive to me as well. However, the idea of ascending and descending tones is entirely arbitrary until you can understand compression waves and frequencies. I wonder if you consider it counter-intuitive because you know that the higher tones correspond to higher frequency waves? Oh, and even then they're waves of descending period I guess :).

-----

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

Quote:

Yes and good riddance. You're arbitrarily sticking labels on things that are needed to survive that correspond to the classical elements. This makes sense in a cluture that doesn't know better as a way to systematise empirical knowledge, but such a phenemenological classification does not teach you anything about the underlying structure or processes.

It's not only what we need to survive, you can find the five elements anywhere in nature as a system. How long did it take sience to recognize the connection between actions in one place and reactions (read disasters) in another ?
And still some are ignoring warnings from very old and "tested and true" wisdom.
using "there is no sientific evidence" as an excuse to place profit before wise decisions.

Wisdom is also knowing when not to ... ;)
Sience often just tells we CAN do something... but it usually takes more time for sience to see that it is not wise to do it.

wiseguy
Member #44
April 2000

Evert said:

Matehmatics is discovered, not invented. Mathematical structures and relations exist whether we know about them or not. This is quite a different topic, however, that I've seen people debate ad nauseam and that I have no interest in getting into. Leaving that point aside, one apple plus one apple is two apples, even if you come from a completely alien world. So no, even if you're from a planet half way across the galaxy, 1+1=2.

That was kind of my point Evert. In a way I was playing devil's advocate, but in another way my point is that you can argue about this kind of thing all day, and in the end, someone will always find an argument against it.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

Why is there a self correcting balance.

It's all about energy and entropy. If there's balance in energy consumption and radiation, there's only a little growth in entropy. Basically all things in universe tend to be balanced hence the balance in the world.

Regarding 1 + 1 = 2 - what if those aliens would have not decimal system but for example system based on modulo 3, then they would only know 0, 1 and 2. and therefore 1 + 2 would equal 0.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

I doubt we have to learn to distinguish between coloured regions, I suspect that's built in.

As I recall, the point was actually that that was not the case.

Quote:

Our ancestors who ate the green things probably prospered compared to those who decided to try and eat rocks

In that particular example, smell is probably more important than colour. That said, I do see what you're trying to say, I just don't know if it's true or not. On the other hand, most mammals are dichromat rather than trichromat. Obviously being trichromat had some sort of evolutionary advantage to our ancestors, because most humans today are trichromat.

Quote:

I wonder if you consider it counter-intuitive because you know that the higher tones correspond to higher frequency waves?

Actually, no. It's things like seeing the notes go up on a bar and associations build into the music itself, like an ascending theme for a bird that starts flying higher and higher or a descending theme for something that is falling down.

Quote:

what if those aliens would have not decimal system

Your base makes no difference.

Quote:

but for example system based on modulo 3, then they would only know 0, 1 and 2. and therefore 1 + 2 would equal 0

If they do all their calculations modulo 3, then yes, but that's equally true here on Earth. Besides, that doesn't make one apple plus two apples equal zero apples.

EDIT: I almost forgot...

Quote:

How long did it take sience to recognize the connection between actions in one place and reactions (read disasters) in another ?

You mean in the "every action has an equal and opposing reaction" sense?

Quote:

And still some are ignoring warnings from very old and "tested and true" wisdom.
using "there is no sientific evidence" as an excuse to place profit before wise decisions.

First of all this has nothing to do with science. Second things can be true or well known independent of whether you used science to ascertain them or not (time-tried home cures come to mind). Third science does not imply you ignore common sense, as you seem to think. Fourth, science is about finding out why things work (and sometimes finding that actually they don't work), not about finding random new dogma's to replace old ones (though yes, that does happen - it's a human enterprise afterall).

Quote:

Wisdom is also knowing when not to ... ;)

Yes. Which, again, has nothing to do with science or science versus random superstition.

Quote:

Sience often just tells we CAN do something... but it usually takes more time for sience to see that it is not wise to do it.

That's because that's not necessarily the point - but at least it can tell you why something may or may not be wise.
By the way, "science" has two C's in it.

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

Quote:

Regarding 1 + 1 = 2 - what if those aliens would have not decimal system but for example system based on modulo 3, then they would only know 0, 1 and 2. and therefore 1 + 2 would equal 0.

Modular arithmetic, however, is a more advanced, or at least less intuitive, technique that emerges later on for dealing with specific problems (various cryptographic applications, etc.). The more intuitive and likely method is ordinary, up-to-infinity counting in whatever base, and in base 3 that just means that 1 + 2 = 10. So, 10b3 = 3b10. No inconsistency there.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
C++: An octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.
I am the Lightning-Struck Penguin of Doom.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/595368

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

;D

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

AngelChild
Member #3,401
April 2003

I, for one, embrace our new Allegroid overlords.

-----

1   2   3   4 

Go to: