1   2   3   4 
Vatican and aliens
HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

The Vatican says alien life forms may exist:

http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/595321

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Mouhouhahahahaha ;D

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

All hail the Space Pope!
{"name":"SpacePope.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/f\/4ff98f81251b590e5e437806fa5f94d3.png","w":542,"h":550,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/f\/4ff98f81251b590e5e437806fa5f94d3"}SpacePope.png

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Call me when the Vatican accepts the heliocentric theory. Or the fact that there may be pedophilic priests. Or evolution.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I thought the Catholic church endorsed evolution. Oh well.

Personally, I think if you believe in God you probably should believe in aliens (why would God make all those planets and put life on just this one?) but who cares what the Vatican says about it anyway? I care what the Church has to say about life on other planets about as much as I care what Einstein says about God, or what Michael Jordan thinks about Ball Park hot dogs franks ....

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Erikster
Member #9,510
February 2008

23yrold3yrold said:

I thought the Catholic church endorsed evolution.

Any intelligent Christian accepts Micro-Evolution, (idea that animals change on a small scale).

Cat! I'm a kitty cat. And I dance dance dance, and I dance dance dance.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Well, anyone accepts that, period. Typically when Evolution is used in that context, they're talking Old-Earth Creationism style. Belief in micro-evolution hardly requires an official stance, I would think. That's like saying they endorse the idea of the colour orange.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Quote:

That's like saying they endorse the idea of the colour orange.

Tell that to the Presbyterians and Catholics in Northern Ireland... :P

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Quote:

why would God make all those planets and put life on just this one?

I think anyone who believes that there is an all powerful being running the show must answer lots of questions much harder than that one.

-----------

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Tell that to the Presbyterians and Catholics in Northern Ireland... :P

Or a few US states!

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

I think anyone who believes that there is an all powerful being running the show must answer lots of questions much harder than that one.

I'm being tested? Daaaayyyyaaaam .....

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

@ Karadoc: shoot, but beware I'm not a christian ;)

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

It's a self imposed test, 23yrold3yrold. I'll put it another way. If having a self-consistent set of beliefs is important to you, then there are a lot of issues that need to be addressed regarding the existence of an all powerful being. The question you asked was a very minor one in comparison to the others. If having that self-consistency is not important to you then reason and logic are useless with regards to your beliefs, and so it would be a waste of time to "test" you. I'm sure you understand what I mean. :p

Quote:

@ Karadoc: shoot, but beware I'm not a christian ;)

Well.. I didn't really mean that I'd be the one asking the questions. To be honest, which are the hardest questions kind of depends on some of the answers. The hard questions kind of follow on from one another, you know? However, I'll put forward a couple of the favourites, just so that you get a flavour of what I'm talking about.

If God is all knowing, and all powerful, and "good"; why does he let bad things happen? Wars, natural disasters, genetic disease, etc... surely God has the power to end these things, but for some reason He chooses not to. Why?

Being all knowing, God must know what each person likely to believe and what they are not likely to believe. He must know exactly what kind of events must occur in my life in order for me to believe in His existence. Obviously it is far more likely that someone growing up in a Christian family (or religion X, if you like) than someone who has never heard of [religion X]. How can it be said that God loves us all equally if he knowingly puts such people at a huge disadvantage. If people are sent to hell for not following a religion they have never even heard of in their entire life, surely that is completely unfair. How can anyone justify this action of a supposed "good" God?

There are many different religions in the world. Many different people who believe in many different Gods and who have many different holy texts. With so many different groups of people citing their holy book as absolute truth, and threatening hell (or whatever) to people who don't join their cause, how can we know which is the real God? Which group of holy people can we trust? Surely it is impossible to know who is right without further guidance, and we have an eternity of happiness or suffering on the line. Why doesn't God give us a hand with these kinds of decisions?

Ok, that's enough for now. Like I said, maybe these questions aren't so hard on their own. The tricky thing is how they can end up cornering someone into really tight spots with the right follow up questions. I don't intend to try to do that here on the forums. I just wanted to point out that there are indeed some tough questions.

-----------

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

It's a self imposed test, 23yrold3yrold. I'll put it another way. If having a self-consistent set of beliefs is important to you, then there are a lot of issues that need to be addressed regarding the existence of an all powerful being.

Contradictory bullshit constitutes most of it. "God can't make a rock so big He can't lift it" and other silliness. The fun part is, you probably can't bring up a general problem like this with religion that I didn't have personally as an atheist either. So I lose either way; there's always going to be some questions you can't answer.

Quote:

If God is all knowing, and all powerful, and "good"; why does he let bad things happen? Wars, natural disasters, genetic disease, etc... surely God has the power to end these things, but for some reason He chooses not to. Why?

No authority here. Old news. Really, really, really old news.

Quote:

How can it be said that God loves us all equally if he knowingly puts such people at a huge disadvantage. If people are sent to hell for not following a religion they have never even heard of in their entire life, surely that is completely unfair. How can anyone justify this action of a supposed "good" God?

Where in the Bible is any emphasis given on "religion"? What if I could show you a Bible quote that says religion is completely irrelevant? :o

Quote:

Many different people who believe in many different Gods and who have many different holy texts. With so many different groups of people citing their holy book as absolute truth, and threatening hell (or whatever) to people who don't join their cause, how can we know which is the real God? Which group of holy people can we trust?

Why trust people at all? People are liars and idiots. Also ties into the last question.

Quote:

Like I said, maybe these questions aren't so hard on their own.

No freaking kidding, which is why I'm giving you lame answers. ;D Not to open serious discussion or anything (another reason for my sound-bite answers) I really, really doubt anyone's got any actual "hard" question that hasn't been answered or at least addressed over the years. If there were such a trump card, someone would have come across it somewhere along the lines I'm sure. It would be the first thing posted in every religion thread, and each thread would end instantly. ;D

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Actually there's a very easy loophole out of all those questions: ``we don't know God's mind or his plan, ir probably all makes sense somehow but we are not able to understand it. If we just have faith it will all become clear in the end.'' End of discussion, full stop.

As an atheist I'm obviously playing Devil's advocate here (pun intended). My point is, you can try to be rational about it, but at its core faith is not rational. Try arguing logic against it and at some point people will just go "meh, I don't know God's mind so I can't answer that question."

Anyway, nice cartoon.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Per that same BBC News article:

Quote:

To strengthen its scientific credentials, the Vatican is organising a conference next year to mark the 200th anniversary of the birth of the author of the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin.

That probably means that they're going to make their exact position clear.

EDIT: my understanding is...

Quote:

If God directly controled everything that happens then we would have no free will. We do have free will, ergo God does not directly control everything that happens.

Quote:

Being all knowing, God must know what each person likely to believe and what they are not likely to believe. He must know exactly what kind of events must occur in my life in order for me to believe in His existence. Obviously it is far more likely that someone growing up in a Christian family (or religion X, if you like) than someone who has never heard of [religion X]. How can it be said that God loves us all equally if he knowingly puts such people at a huge disadvantage. If people are sent to hell for not following a religion they have never even heard of in their entire life, surely that is completely unfair. How can anyone justify this action of a supposed "good" God?

The judgment is according to how you lived your life versus the opportunities you got to live it. It's about the extent to which you were able to value the objective over the subjective. If you never got a chance to go to church then that's fine. If you lived next to a church and never went, that's not necessarily wrong. I think most people go to church because it is a venue where they can see other people of a similar mindset and through which they can do more to achieve the things they consider important — reaching out to the community, working for charity, etc. So it's the same basic reason that people come here, i.e. that they want to in order to enhance their lives, not because they fear retribution of they don't.

Unless you're a Mormon, you don't believe that Jesus visited America at any point, or that his message could have carried across there for 1500 years ish. I don't think that means that the people who lived then are automatically damned.

Quote:

There are many different religions in the world. Many different people who believe in many different Gods and who have many different holy texts. With so many different groups of people citing their holy book as absolute truth, and threatening hell (or whatever) to people who don't join their cause, how can we know which is the real God? Which group of holy people can we trust? Surely it is impossible to know who is right without further guidance, and we have an eternity of happiness or suffering on the line. Why doesn't God give us a hand with these kinds of decisions?

This whole text is predicated on the idea that you will be judged based on whether you picked the correct church. I don't think that's a part of most people's beliefs any more.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

why would God make all those planets and put life on just this one?

If you want some interesting reading, you could read Rama II by A.C.Clarke, but I personally think Rama II was the poorest from the series.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

Quote:

Can you make something that has only a left side but no right side ?
so if there is to be life there will also be death, and if there is to be love there will also be hate. Unfortunately the balance is quite lost at the moment, but that is not of their doing.

And my goddess and god never claimed to be "all powerfull" however sometimes they do intervene.

Quote:

true.. according to my beliefs any religion is "good" if it aplies to the rule "Do no harm , not to others and not to yourself"
I don't believe in heaven nor in hell but I'm convinced anything you send into the world will return to you threefold.

Quote:

all Gods and Goddesses are aspects of one god and one goddess. I think the divine will show itself to you in a way you can understand it, even to an atheist( maybe that is what sience actually is). In fact you can trust any group that is not trying to take away your freedom, but giving you advice in what to do with your life.
advice and understanding should always overrule rules and restrictions. If it is not violating the most important rule of all: "Do no harm".

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Quote:

I can on my computer :)
Though usually those are defined as having a front side but no back side, I think. Or maybe they just call them one-sided? I don't remember :S

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

Take a strip of paper, twist it once and glue the ends together. Enjoy your one-sided Moebius strip.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

and that applies to life and death as well .. if you travel the life-side you will eventually come to the death-side and vice versa. ;)

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

A mobius strip happens to have a left side and a right side. They also happen to be the same side.

It's a matter of semantics, but I'd say that if something has only one side, it doesn't have a left and a right side. It just has a side.

LordHolNapul
Member #3,619
June 2003

http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/595330
Papa Ratzinger is in reality the Palpatine Emperor...
Be carefull about that.. the world will FINISH!!!!

MUHAHAHAWHAHAHAHAAAAAAAHAAAAAA!!!!!! :o

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

Unless you're a Mormon, you don't believe that Jesus visited America at any point, or that his message could have carried across there for 1500 years ish. I don't think that means that the people who lived then are automatically damned.

Traditionally it means they are in fact damned. When asked how is that fair, you'll get, "Why is it fair that we get to go to heaven and meet a perfect God? What's fair is that we all should be damned." But while it's true that perhaps an unholy person has no business in the presence of a holy god, that doesn't mean the opposite of eternal damnation in hell is a fair punishment...

And I think that illustrates the flaw of most organized Christian religions. They are so wrapped up in defining God and His attributes as if He were describable to begin with. It reminds me a lot of our lovely math discussions of infinity; once you define one thing, something else makes no sense. So Christian religions are left with a juggling act because of their love of defining every last thing as eternal truth.

Quote:

If God directly controled everything that happens then we would have no free will. We do have free will, ergo God does not directly control everything that happens.

I think that's how most Christians would respond.

However, it's interesting that free will really isn't a very Biblical idea. At least, not at the level that Christian religions teach it. If you go through the Bible from front to back, you'll see that it is more deterministic. Yes, there are free will teachings, but they are overshadowed by deterministic election. God nudging people along in a certain direction, if you will.

God created Adam. God picked Noah and his family. God picked Abraham. God chased Lot out of Sodom and Gomorrah. God picked Jacob over Esau. God picked Moses. God "hardened Pharaoh's heart". God chose Samson to be a judge while he was "still in the womb." And so on.

Solomon wrote, "So I reflected on all this and concluded that the righteous and the wise and what they do are in God's hands, but no man knows whether love or hate awaits him. All share a common destiny—the righteous and the wicked, the good and the bad, the clean and the unclean, those who offer sacrifices and those who do not." I believe he's simply referring to death in general, but I love his writing because he's very deterministic as well. 8-)

In the New Testament, you have God saving Paul (Saul) while he was on the way to go murder some Christians. Jesus said "I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours... My prayer is not for [the disciples] alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me. Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world." Heavy on the destiny; light on the free will.

Many Christians would respond with, "God picked based on what he saw in them." Well, Paul wrote that "no good thing" dwells in us while we are "dead in our sins." One sin is as infinite sins to a Christian. So picking someone because he's just a bit better than another doesn't seem fair if we are all equally bad and damned to hell.

And what about when God picking Samson before he was born? "Oh, God knew that Samson would be a good judge." Actually Samson was a pretty bad one. And furthermore, if God knew what Samson would do, how is it really free will?

It's problematic to think you have to define God as only having infinitely good characteristics in the way we might think is necessary. A lot of religions doctrine is only considered true because it must be for some other thing to remain true (circular).

Eh, so what's my point? I really don't have one. Well, other than Christianity should be about believing in Jesus and doing good things in his example. It shouldn't be about judging, or damning individuals or groups, or worrying what significance alien life is. Surely God will take care of all that in His own time.

1   2   3   4 

Go to: