Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Is there a word for one who seeks praise?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Is there a word for one who seeks praise?
Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

A narcissist is someone who loves their own appearance. Not the same thing.

Maybe the psychological profession misuse the term because there isn't a better single word?

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

Actually, in the clinical sense, it is a requirement: "They demand and expect to be admired and praised by others and are limited in their capacity to appreciate others' perspectives." (DSM-IV-TR [behavenet.com])

The childish, petty part of my personality makes me point out that it isn't a requirement — a patient must only demonstrate five of the nine symptoms listed in DSM-IV to be diagnosed as narcissistic, meaning that none of them is a necessary part of a diagnosis. It's possible to get four without expecting praise from others, and I'm pretty sure that the diagnostic criteria are the main authority on whether you have a thing, not the précis in the introduction.

I have no idea what ICD says. I can find from online sources that I should look at entry F60.8, but that's about it as I oddly don't have an actual copy to hand.

However, the more mature part of my personality wants to thank you greatly, as you've probably found what I needed. Thanks!

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Narcisism is an internal focus. You are seeking somebody with an external focus on other people.

I realise that the distinction becomes blurred due to external things causing internal pleasure (narcisism), but there is a real difference here.

For example a narcisist wouldn't be good at doing things for other people, where as someone seeking praise would be.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

Narcisism is an internal focus. You are seeking somebody with an external focus on other people.

It's my understanding that casey is drawing a distinction between non-inflected/dictionary-sense narcissism and clinical narcissism. It seems that the latter doesn't quite align with the former.

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

Glory hound?

Well, I know the answer but this guy is offering $5 for it ;) Is this some kind of competition?

The essential difference between a narcissist and a praise-seeker is that the narcissist would carry on preening themselves on a desert island. They would miss their mirror more than their friends.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Hmmm. Is lobsuchend really a [German] word?

Quote:

Is this some kind of competition?

No, I'm just trying to write something.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Quote:

Speaking of which: if there isn't a word, is there a well-known example of a specific someone who always seeks praise from fiction?

Not from fiction, but an answer: Paris Hilton. As to the word, I would suggest catesque (or feline) based on how my roommate's cats act.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Quote:

It's my understanding that casey is drawing a distinction between non-inflected/dictionary-sense narcissism and clinical narcissism. It seems that the latter doesn't quite align with the former.

Maybe it's because I am tired, but I didn't quite understand that.. :)

I understand Narcisism to be a focus on the self to the exclusion of properly connecting with the outside world. The opposite of that is a focus on the external world, to the detriment of the internal. That can take the form of seeking praise due to a damaged sense of self.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

Is lobsuchend really a [German] word?

Yes and no, probably. I don't think you'd find it in a dictionary, but you can form new words by stringing together existing words. You can do the same thing in Dutch (lofzoeker would be the word you're looking for in this case).

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

I can give you the Hebrew slang for "attention whore", will that help?

I can't see why it wouldn't.

EDIT: so would an attention seeker be a lobsuchend, or would they be performing the act of lobsuchend?

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Quote:

EDIT: so would an attention seeker be a lobsuchend, or would they be performing the act of lobsuchend?

None, "lob" is praise and "suchend" is "seeking". So its not "a" or performing an act. But rather he is lobsuchend.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I have an answer.

Grandiosity (Grandiose)
An inflated appraisal of one's worth, power, knowledge, importance, or identity. When extreme, grandiosity may be of delusional proportions.
www.indianpsychiatry.com/Glossary.htm

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

That definition doesn't describe a need to seek praise.

casey d
Member #4,901
August 2004

Quote:

is there a well-known example of a specific someone who always seeks praise from fiction?

Does the bible count? :)

--
Nightsticks, water cannons, tear gas, padlocks, molotov cocktails and rocks behind every curtain

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

glory-hunter ?

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

Facebook user?

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

That definition doesn't describe a need to seek praise.

Well, I fail. The only thing I could find was narcissist which of course has negative connotation. Google "healthy narcissism" for some interesting results.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Similar to William's, glory hog.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

so would an attention seeker be a lobsuchend, or would they be performing the act of lobsuchend?

It's like the Dutch example I quoted above. ;)
My German is somewhat rusty, but lobsuchend would be the adjective (or adverb), lobsuchen would be the verb and Lobsucher would be the person doing the seeking.

imaxcs
Member #4,036
November 2003

And every German speaking human on the planet will do ::). Trust me...

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Sycophant?

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

No, a sycophant is a suckup, an asskisser.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Quote:

No, a sycophant is a suckup, an asskisser.

Or in America, a Republican.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

1   2 

Go to: