Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » Free Composing Software

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Free Composing Software
Mordredd
Member #5,291
December 2004

1. Every now and then I am searching the web for some free, good composing software.

What am I looking for?
An editor, which allows more than just typing in some notes and retrieving crappy MIDI-files. I should at least export in WAV-format. Best would be some samples of real drums, guitars etc. to build my songs, or at least an intuitive way to type in the notes.

How much should it cost?
It would be okay if there were additional sound packs to buy. But the free ones must be usable, too.

2. When I was 9(?) I used DanceMachine to make some songs. Later it was renamed to DanceEjay, according to a friend of mine it should be free now. For personal reasons I would like to obtain a copy, but I can't find a proper link.

[Sorry for my bad english]

Thanks!

Ron Ofir
Member #2,357
May 2002

Finale Notepad is free, and it can export to wav.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

If you end up deciding to buy software, I highly recommend FLStudio (Used to be called fruity loops). That software is one of the most underrated music production/composition packages out there.

Finale Notepad is probably the best thing you can get for free.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I like Aodix. It is very powerful and does not rely on MIDI things at all. There are plenty of free instruments around the net for this one. I particularly enjoy its ability to use the normal keyboard for note entry since I cannot afford a dedicated musical keyboard. It can't export into wav though, rather only into raw pcm data. But things like Audacity can convert it to anything you'd like.

If you are feeling adventurous you can also try Direct Music Producer... That is if you don't mind WGA business. I found it quite nice too and easy to use. Entering notes here is reasonably easy as well. This one uses MIDI's and you can easily create new instruments from recordings. It can export into wav.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Buy a Mac and you'll get Garageband.

As I see it, composing is about creating the notes. Dealing with the right sounding software instruments is more about arranging. Of course these two things mix into each other. But I'm happy with a free tool like Logic Fun, a really great midi sequencer, that even allows you to handle some audio tracks, too. It plays your computer's sound card synth and there might be ways to improve the sounds, but it's all still midi. Since you are prepared to pay for sound packs, perhaps you could spend that money on some midi modules (hard or soft) that Logic Fun could work with.

I do have Logic Express (not free) on my Mac, for more professional music making, but the actual composing process I might as well do on Logic Fun on a PC. Making the music into wav files should be handled by the Windows sound system. I've succeeded with some computers, with some I haven't. Basically you record with Audacity from Sound Mapper while you play the midi file, either with Logic Fun or Windows Media Player (or Winamp).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

TeamTerradactyl
Member #7,733
September 2006

An old one is ModPlug from their website. It's the first one I've used; I've never heard of Finale Notepad, though, so I may have to change my preferences if, after I look it through, find that it's better. But there are a lot of good songs made (they have a forum for music people have created) that I like to download and listen to on occasion.

IonBlade
Member #3,521
May 2003

I have to plug FL Studio here because I use it and it's fantastic, but it will cost you unfortunately if you plan on saving your work. You can use the demo to export .wav or .mp3 files, you just can't save your notes; so make a song in one sitting that you don't mind never being able to edit again, and you're ok :P

It takes some learning, but once it all comes together you won't want to use anything else.

------

"I've got to choose my words carefully so that I'm not misunderstood, but I think there are fewer developers around today who think about making a good game. As a creator, I find that sad..." - Hideo Kojima

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

Do you know tracker music ? MOD, S3M and XM files? Visit modarchive.org to see what kind of music you can create with these formats. You compose with a set number voices, and the digital samples are contained in the song file.

+ VERY large community
+ Produces small files, good for distribution with games
+ Good support for playback libraries : DUMB, JGMOD, FMOD

- "bring your own samples". It may be a bit difficult to start from scratch, if you have no idea where to find sounds.
- The best tracker programs have their own history of GUI and ergonomics.. very different from Windows look-and-feel.

Modplug Tracker is easy to use, and a good way to test if Tracker music suits your needs, but you shouldn't use it for real works as it doesn't respect the standards, so you have all sorts of playback sound problems.

Mike Farrell
Member #248
April 2000

I think powertab is pretty awesome.

though its limited to guitar music, its still a very nice program.

Ron Ofir
Member #2,357
May 2002

It absoloutley sucks for writing notes, though, because it only supports writing tabs. And it makes braindead decesions when the trying to choose the right note for a tab. Oh, and no drums.

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

FL Studio Producer Edition is worth its price.

Reaper's not bad either but it's nagware.

You don't deserve my sig.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Anyone familiar with sound fonts, or SoundFont whatever? Does it require a Soundblaster card or is it possible to use it with any sound card? I'd like to use my favourite midi sequencer to create my midi files, but it would be fun to create samples or use some fancy free samples from the net. And if the sound fonts would work in allegro games together with midi music, my heaven would come true.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I think there are probably some vst plugins for soundfonts. If you have flstudo you can purchase their soundfont player, it's like $40 or something but I think it's worth the price considering the soundfonts I use.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Ron Ofir
Member #2,357
May 2002

It should be possible to tell the soundcard which soundfont to use (I know it's possible under Linux), and if you're using a soft synthesizer it should be even easier.

Mordredd
Member #5,291
December 2004

A lot of answers, a big thank you goes out to everyone.

Fruity Loops/Power Tab
I took a look on that earlier. I really like it, but what I dislike is that it's not free.

Sequencers/Aodix/Modplug
I have already downloaded sequencers. I ended up in sitting in front of big grey windows with a huge amount of cryptic numbers. No documentation, no explanation on how to use the software. So after I understood the principles of sequencers, I could alter the given values of the example files, but I was far away from creating my own songs. Being so frustrated I decided to remove it again.

Buying a Mac
If you would know my personal opinion about Macs, you would have never posted this :P

Finale Notepad
Seems to be professional. What I dislike: In order to get a free copy, I have to tell these guys too much personal information. Asking for an email-adress is okay, but for what do they my telephone number? Exorbitance.

Soundfont
Never heard of that. I think I have to take a close look for it to say something constructive.

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

Johan Halmén said:

Anyone familiar with sound fonts, or SoundFont whatever? Does it require a Soundblaster card or is it possible to use it with any sound card? I'd like to use my favourite midi sequencer to create my midi files, but it would be fun to create samples or use some fancy free samples from the net. And if the sound fonts would work in allegro games together with midi music, my heaven would come true.

SoundFont is a feature of some sound cards, but any hardware and OS can run Allegro's digital midi driver: DIGMID]. It will use some of your CPU power to do software mixing with the instruments your provide...
The only downside are the size of a full MIDI instruments set, a few Megabytes.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

@composition software: Pretty much all music software falls into one of the following categories:

1. Notation. Finale is pretty much industry standard on this, and a useful version (printmusic) is available for something like 200€; Sibelius is said to have grown into something useful as well, though the last version I tried was horrible. For free software, the only thing I've found so far (other than Finale Notepad, which isn't really free, and so feature-free that it hurts) is Lilypond - a LaTEX approach to music notation, resulting in a horribly steep and frustrating learning curve, no playback facilities whatsoever, clumsy editing, no WYSIWYG, and a lot of other nuisances. It's almost like programming half the software yourself. The result looks OK, though, but just paying for proper software is arguably cheaper.

2. Multitrack audio recording. The professional ones (Logic, Cubase, Sonar, and apparently FL Studio) come with MIDI capabilities, too, so it's pretty easy to combine recorded audio, actual MIDI, and MIDI through plugins using these. They can all export to digital audio formats such as WAV or AIFF. I use an ancient version of Logic - the last windows version, unfortunately: All versions after 5.5 are Mac-only. Logic can also import soundfonts into its built-in software sampler and insert it into the mix, just like any other audio source, which allows you to mix midi streams on-the-fly and sample accurate. And since it's a plug-in, you can load multiple instances of the sampler, allowing for multiple soundfonts being used at the same time. Other packages probably offer similar features.
There's also ProTools, but that's said to be very expensive and have a very short lifespan due to proprietary hardware. None of these programs I know of prints sheet music in any satisfying way.
And then there's Reason: Not technically a recording program, but rather a modular audio suite. It is used mainly for live performance and such, but using the right modules, it can be a nice tool for all sorts of audio production, including composition.
For free software, the standard one would be Audacity. Far less features, and focusing on audio recording, but then, it's free.

3. Trackers and MIDI sequencers. There is a lot of free software around in this category, but few support VST plugins, and even fewer can do full-fledged mixing, mastering, sampling etc.

4. Stand-alone audio editors. Again, a few free ones are available, but most lack important features.

So it all comes down to your needs. If you want to 'compose' as in 'invent music and write it down for others to play', then you need notation software - but if you're somewhat piano literate, pen and paper will do fine. If you want to 'compose' as in 'produce audio', then you need some sort of studio package - probably a good multi-tracker, but maybe something like Reason is more your style. Don't expect good results from entering notes the traditional way, though: In my experience, "piano-roll" works much better, because it gives you more control. Or, better yet, hand-played.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

i am trying MidiIllustrator

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I'm writing my own midi sequencer and using lilypond to output scores if I feel it necessary. It's pretty nice but I have a lot of work to do before it's practical for use.

--

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Quote:

It should be possible to tell the soundcard which soundfont to use (I know it's possible under Linux), and if you're using a soft synthesizer it should be even easier.

Only if the soundcard has a soundfont-compatible midi synthesizer chip. Not even linux can upload a soundfont to a card that doesn't have a synth.

Soundcards' on-board synth chips are a relic from the mid-90s, and utterly useless these days since software soundfont players are just so much better.

You don't deserve my sig.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Modplug should have a starter kit that has a tutorial that teaches you to use MODPlug to make a quick little song. MP is fun but I'm toying with Finale NotePad 2k8.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

IMHO, Finale Notepad is utter crap. But that's probably because I'm a music notation nazi... anyway, for me, it lacks both proper playback to be a decent music player / production tool, and its editing features are so rudimentary that it doesn't qualify as a useful notation tool (it doesn't even transpose from one instrument to another). But then again, it's the closest to a free notation program you can get (unless you count lilypond).

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

lilypond is very good, except that it lacks a nice gui.

--

Mordredd
Member #5,291
December 2004

We should all develop a program cut down to our needs :P Obviously, there is a certain demand for this kind of programs.=)

1   2 

Go to: