Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Converting MS Access Form to Web page

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Converting MS Access Form to Web page
Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

So... the Topic pretty much sums it up. I have to convert a bunch (maybe 20 or so) MS Access forms into Web pages using PHP and SQL Express 2005.

I have the SQL Express server set up, the database from Access ported over, the webserver up and running (with PHP), and now it is time to code the pages.

I'm wondering if there is an easy way to somehow convert the access form into a webpage without having to spend hours on each one. I made one page already, I just need to code the PHP behind it.

I'm cool with just digging in and coding, but I don't want to do all that work only to find I could have done it like 10 times faster and easier.

Anybody have any recommendations?

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I found some hints that it's possible to export Access forms as ASP pages. However, I doubt Access will be able to export to PHP pages (i.e. non-Microsoft technology).

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

fudge. Our company does not use ASP.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Samuel Henderson said:

fudge. Our company does not use ASP.

ASP.NET is supposed to be awesome, but regular ASP isn't... I'd prefer to be using PHP.

Anyway, there appears to be third party apps that can convert to PHP/MySQL, but I don't know how trustworthy, reliable, or free they are. :P:-/ You'd still need to fix the db stuff (unless you can find one that uses MS SQL).

"ms access 2005 export form php"

For example...

Php export mdb software by Nonnoi Solutions and others said:

AccessForms2Web (PHP and MySQL Editon) allows you to convert mdb (Microsoft Access forms) to php+mysql driven WEB page using AJAX. Convert forms and their elements to AJAX based Web page including elements' position, color pallet and fields type.

- Source

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

That particular app is $99. I usually avoid those "free" sites because nothing [useful] on them is ever free. ::)

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Quote:

AccessForms2Web (PHP and MySQL Editon)

I've actually already tried that one. I'd have no qualms going through and changing the PHP to point to MSSQL instead of MySQL, but the software will not generate the forms untill it has created the MySQL database (it also requires using IIS). This is oviously a problem since I am using MSSQL and Apache.

Edit:
Yeah it was "free" but it said it was only good for 10 records or something before I need to purchase it.

Edit2:
I actually have the database itself migrated. Microsoft has a tool to migrate the Access database into SQL Server. To my chagrin it does not touch the forms.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

BAF said:

That particular app is $99. I usually avoid those "free" sites because nothing [useful] on them is ever free. ::)

I never expected that it was free. :) It might have been worth the time saved, however.

Samuel Henderson said:

I've actually already tried that one. I'd have no qualms going through and changing the PHP to point to MSSQL instead of MySQL, but the software will not generate the forms untill it has created the MySQL database (it also requires using IIS). This is oviously a problem since I am using MSSQL and Apache.

Yeah, I just figured I would throw it out there... Personally, I'm skeptical about trusting any software to reliably convert... Theoretically there could be small logic errors everywhere and you'd have to take just as much time or perhaps more figuring out where the bugs are... If Microsoft offered a feature/product/extension to export it to DHTML/PHP/MSSQL then I would go for that, but there aren't too many other companies I would trust with that kind of conversion... :-/

You might try OpenOffice, but I doubt it... :-/

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

What really sucks is that I already have Apache, PHP and SQL Server express working together nicely.

I would think that getting IIS into the mix would be as easy as disabling the Apache service, installing IIS and configuring it to already use the PHP that Apache was using. Then I'd just need to fine tune PHP to also load the my_sql module (and install MySQL of course)...

Such is not the case... IIS does not seem to want to recognize PHP... Fixed.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Samuel Henderson said:

Such is not the case... IIS does not seem to want to recognize PHP...

I assume you have gone through the steps on php.net to install php in IIS? :-/

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I didn't update the doc_root ... so it would technically work but only with the stuff placed in apache's directory.

I fixed it though.

Edit:

Well AccessForms2Web did not work at all :P I'm glad I used the demo instead of forking out $99 >:(

ixilom
Member #7,167
April 2006

One way could be to make VB script in Access to loop through all the controls in the form, output valid HTML with all the needed attributes (names, ID, etc).
Of course, that will give you a crappy page with no layout what so ever, but now you can load it into dreamweaver/frontpage and rearrange to a similar layout as the form was from the beginning.

Just my two cents 8-)

[edit]
Actually, Acess 2002 (SP1) at least can export a form to HTML ... Of course, it adds a shitload of unnecessary crap in the tags. Maybe you can get rid of that with the template it asks for and I just skipped ;D

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Quote:

Actually, Access 2002 (SP1) at least can export a form to HTML ...

We are using Access 2003 but I imagine it is the same. One thing I tried was saving the form as an HTML file and all it did was output all the data in a giant table iirc.

I may have done something wrong though

ixilom
Member #7,167
April 2006

Quote:

and all it did was output all the data in a giant table

Hmm, that might have been the case for me as well. I didn't really think about it since I had no data associated with the test form so it just made one of each HTML element.

looks more carefully at the output

Ok, so it actually doesn't make a HTML form, just tries to dump the database content ::)

Perhaps the VB script option isn't that bad ???

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

ASP.NET can do some of the stuff automagically, but only to a point, most of it is point and click though as opposed to hard coding everything... (you can hard code if you want though 8-))

You should really just make a tool, in whatever language you prefer, to build the forms/write the code from the layout of the database -- I do this with asp.net from time to time and just fine-tune / add custom crap afterwords.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Have you tried exporting to Microsoft Active Server Pages (ASP)? :-/ IF it works it would only require re-writing the server-side code for PHP... :) My simple example didn't really seem to work, but since I don't have IIS/ASP installed I can't actually see the result... :-/

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Quote:

Have you tried exporting to Microsoft Active Server Pages (ASP)?

I just tried this. After examining the resulting ASP page, it seems to just be dumping the data to the page as well...

I think I will just have to take the long road and start manually coding. I'm going to try to make it as modularized as possible for re-usability.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

if you're using sql server and have IIS (assume so given you'll be using XP Professional/Server) then you're half way there to using .net anyway ;)

All the tools are at your disposal with visual studio/web developer to get the forms up and running in no time. Even if you can't import and convert the forms, .net/studio/web developer will allow you to point and click your way around your form to data bind everything which will be far faster and simpler than the php route.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

I agree with Neil -- I've actually been to a microsoft demonstration where they showed us how to do stuff without a single line of code. It will even write stored procs for you.

Go to: