Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Metaphoric Tattoo

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Metaphoric Tattoo
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

After watching Alpha Dog, an excellent movie IMO (Justin Timberlake is actually becoming cool), I was reminded of my desire for tattoos. I think they look really cool and plan to eventually have my arms and upper torso covered with tattoos. I want them to all blend together and hopefully be full of depth and shading. :) The closer you look the more you'll notice in the tattoo.

Anyway, I just made the first step by stopping by a local tattoo shop, Anipeg Tattoo (the only one in the area alleged to be approved by the health industry), and asked about pricing. Apparently it's approximately $150/hr. Canadian, depending on complexity, etc. I can probably afford a pretty nice one at the moment (hurray for living with parents) so I'm thinking about getting my first tattoo soon. The only problem is that I'm currently blocked as far as what I should get. I'm also no artist so I'll need to rely on the tattoo artist (or perhaps another artist) to draw what I'm thinking... :-/

Anybody here have tattoos (particularly many tattoos like I'm planning)? ??? Also, does anybody know what it's called to have many images blending together to form one big image? :-/ I know that on the west coast of America (California, for example) it's popular to have similar concepts painted on low-riders where the images all blend together, etc... I don't want to get a boring tattoo. I want to get really beautiful tattoos with lots of depth and such... :)

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

You're free to use my avatar.

Anyway, I couldn't imagine myself getting a tattoo. First of all I'm too old. I also don't think I could decide on the image. I should be able to imagine myself after 30 years with that same tattoo. And I couldn't give blood after that. Not for a long time, I think, if ever. Since I've given blood at least ten times, it would now feel as a very selfish thing to choose a tattoo instead of continuing giving blood.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Get a Pac-Man tattoo. Chicks dig Pac-Man.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

This is pretty cool:
{"name":"PacManNinty.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/5\/f5711c25d3955fa4a43e887c150ce224.jpg","w":539,"h":536,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/5\/f5711c25d3955fa4a43e887c150ce224"}PacManNinty.jpg

I'd respect any person (and indeed offer to buy them lunch/dinner or beer) that had that tattooed on their arm, or ankle as the case may be.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I don't see why people would have a reason for messing with me to begin with so I don't feel the need to have a tattoo to alert others not to mess with me. Plus, if someone had a reason to mess with you I don't think a measly tattoo would scare them off.

Maybe if you bulked up, got a fancy scimitar and shaved your head in addition to getting a tattoo people would be scared of you.

Edit:

Way to edit, cheater;)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Samuel Henderson said:

I don't see why people would have a reason for messing with me to begin with so I don't feel the need to have a tattoo to alert others not to mess with me. Plus, if someone had a reason to mess with you I don't think a measly tattoo would scare them off.

The tattoo isn't really to alert others not to mess with me. I just really like tattoos and most of the people I idolize have a lot of them. However, I'm not going to get a tattoo that says "beat me up" either. :P The whole point of getting tattoos is to express yourself visually and NES doesn't really represent me very well... :-/

I might get Final Fantasy VII characters (because those characters have meaning to me) if I can find high quality images and an artist that can tattoo them. A really metaphoric tattoo of Sephiroth (one winged angel; evil), Cloud (a puppet; hero), or Aeris (an angel) tattoo might be worth an entire back tattoo ($1000+)... Perhaps a high quality rendition of Sephiroth killing Aeris would be beautiful. :-/ Hmmm. It's really very difficult to pick out tattoos.

Samuel Henderson said:

Way to edit, cheater;)

;D

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

In the past tattoos were cool; nowadays, if you want to really stand out from the crowd, Don't get a tattoo. I think I saw a program called Miami Ink once, where people would get tattoos of dead relatives, stuff that happened to them and shit like that. I don't get that at all. One guy tattooed a big needle which would remind of his tough times suffering through diabetes. Like that would give it more meaning or something. Nah, I will never get a tattoo. I was more into it when I was younger. But when I couldn't decide on a motive, I decided to stay nice and clean. My body is a sanctuary :)

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Hang on, didn't you say you wanted tattoos that don't scream "beat me up"? :P

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

ngiacomelli
Member #5,114
October 2004

Quote:

The whole point of getting tattoos is to express yourself visually

So why ask a bunch of complete strangers for suggestions?

Interestingly, my grandfather got quite a few tattoos during his time in the navy. He later had most of them removed. This was before fancy laser technology. They just stripped the skin off. He went into shock and briefly died on the operating table before being resuscitated.

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

Quote:

I might get Final Fantasy VII characters (because those characters have meaning to me)

The problem with tatoos is that they can't be easily erased or changed, and something that has a meaning for you right now may embarrass you when you get older. Imagine that you are 40. You are playing golf with the board of directors, trying to get a promotion or a raise, when suddenly one of them sees your tatoo-covered back. "Heavens, kid!" says your boss's boss, "Did you get that while in prision or something?" And then you have to explain that back in high school you loved FF so much that you became a walking ad for it...

-R

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/592385

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Johan, can you make it blink like your avatar? :)

And why is the title of this thread is 'Metaphoric', while the OP has nothing metaphoric in it at all?

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

X-G said:

Hang on, didn't you say you wanted tattoos that don't scream "beat me up"? :P

:P

Nial Giacomelli said:

So why ask a bunch of complete strangers for suggestions?

I wasn't really asking members for tattoo suggestions for myself. I'm curious how many members have tattoos and what their experiences have been with them. I'm also interested in what your ideas are for tattoos (because I've seen some other members express interest in them).

Nial Giacomelli said:

Interestingly, my grandfather got quite a few tattoos during his time in the navy. He later had most of them removed. This was before fancy laser technology. They just stripped the skin off. He went into shock and briefly died on the operating table before being resuscitated.

How bad can a tattoo be that you would have your skin stripped off!? :o I acknowledge that tattoos are serious and don't go away easily. That's why I'm taking my time choosing them. I won't get them until I'm very satisfied with the designs and the artists.

Rampage said:

The problem with tatoos is that they can't be easily erased or changed, and something that has a meaning for you right now may embarrass you when you get older. Imagine that you are 40. You are playing golf with the board of directors, trying to get a promotion or a raise, when suddenly one of them sees your tatoo-covered back. "Heavens, kid!" says your boss's boss, "Did you get that while in prision or something?" And then you have to explain that back in high school you loved FF so much that you became a walking ad for it...

The great thing about art is that even though you know what it is most people won't have a clue. If you get the art done well enough most people will just see a beautiful woman, or a crazy guy in a black cloak with a long sword. These are things that never really get old. I saw a tattoo of an angel the size of a man's back (on Miami Ink, actually :: awesome show and amazing artists) that was just so well done it was unbelievable. Tattoos get a bad reputation from poor artists and foolish people. The others love it.

You may or may not know, but Vin Diesel* is supposed to have a tattoo on his abs of a Dungeons and Dragons character that he created. :)

HardTranceFan said:

And why is the title of this thread is 'Metaphoric', while the OP has nothing metaphoric in it at all?

That is a very good and justified question. I wasn't completely sure what to call the thread (unfortunately, the word tattoo alone is negative to me) and I was in the process of figuring it out as I wrote the OP. After some revision, both of the OP and the title, I became satisfied with the OP and instinctively submitted it. As it sent it occurred to me that I was unsure about the state of the title. I was dissatisfied with Metaphoric Tattoo, but acknowledged that it could have been worse (missing half of one of the words, for example). In short, the title was never finalized. ;) It's not completely inaccurate though, so I'm not concerned about it at all.

As for the inspiration of the word Metaphoric, the tattoos I plan to get are intended to be somewhat metaphoric, to me at least. I want people to see them, ask about them, and admire them the way I feel about some of the tattoos I've seen.

* The star of Pitch Black, The Fast and the Furious, Knockaround Guys, A Man Apart, The Chronicles of Riddick, The Pacifier, and Find Me Guilty (among others).

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Gnolam: where the hell you seem to dig out such apropriate stuff everytime it's needed? :)

Quote:

Hang on, didn't you say you wanted tattoos that don't scream "beat me up"?

;D

Samuel: yeah that one is really cool, as I'd have probably some respect to the person with that tattoed, I think the others would look at him immidietly as a geek. Guess why 8-)

As for the OP: beside the fact, that I'd not let anybody alter my body with tattoo, I'd listen to those who oppose your idea of getting FF character over your back. Think about your future, where you might not be a fan of it. It will loose it's meaning to you, or actually you'll hate it, but you'll be wearing it with you for the rest of your life. I don't think it's possible for tattoo of this size to be removed.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Quote:

I think the others would look at him immidietly as a geek. Guess why 8-)

I am comfortable in my geekiness so thats not really a problem. I wouldn't want to fork out the cash for a tattoo anyways.

What would be really cool is some form of LCD skin...

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Quote:

Johan, can you make it blink like your avatar?

It does! Just wait.

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Tattoos is for pussies. Branding is for men. And I'm talking livestock branding here :)

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

Jackass dude's Mom said:

Aw, but you had such a lovely butt

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

OICW said:

As for the OP: beside the fact, that I'd not let anybody alter my body with tattoo, I'd listen to those who oppose your idea of getting FF character over your back. Think about your future, where you might not be a fan of it. It will loose it's meaning to you, or actually you'll hate it, but you'll be wearing it with you for the rest of your life. I don't think it's possible for tattoo of this size to be removed.

They oppose it because they dislike FF. :P I'm taking my time with it so no worries. I won't get it done until I'm sure about it.

I discovered that one of the things I'm looking for is a sleeve tattoo (or 2 :P), as Wikipedia calls it, where you have a very large tattoo, or a collection of smaller tattoos, that cover, or almost covers, a person's entire arm, usually from shoulder to wrist.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

If you get a sleeve tattoo make sure to wear long sleeved shirts to any job interview or formal function ;)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Samuel Henderson said:

If you get a sleeve tattoo make sure to wear long sleeved shirts to any job interview or formal function ;)

Yeah, I usually wear long sleeved shirts anyway... You could probably theoretically cover the tattoo temporarily with a lot of make-up if you HAD to. :) I think a lot of positions wouldn't mind tattoos either as long as you present yourself appropriately. Hopefully I end up at a game company that doesn't mind tattoos. ;D Even still, I'm hesitant to get a tattoo on my neck because it's more difficult to cover up (for formal occasions). It's also some of the best canvas space so I want to save it for the perfect tattoo. :D

1   2   3 

Go to: