Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » OpenGL and D3D wrapper

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
OpenGL and D3D wrapper
Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

But no freeware or shareware game would be popular enough (in terms of audience and press) to make hardware developers consider a driver update (or start a OpenGL driver).

There's strength in numbers. The more people that do it, the more it'll inspire other poeple to do it. :)

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Well, it all boils down to what your morals tell you.
If you think Microsofts business methods are totally fine, then you don't have to support other platforms.
But if you can't morally support Microsoft, then you shouldn't give them any support at all. If your income depends on supporting Microsoft, you should change your career. It will boost your motivation a lot.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

On toppic:

Well, I use Allegro && Allegro GL and I am happy with that. Have you tried ?

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

Quote:

Hoho: As was said, OpenGL generally works OK on Windows and not much worse on other OS'es. I personally haven't heard a single incident when OpenGL wouldn't have worked on any OS.

OpenGL works not well on my laptop, Intel graphics chip. That's my reason why I don't go pure OpenGL...

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Quote:

There's strength in numbers. The more people that do it, the more it'll inspire other poeple to do it. :)

I really don't agree with you here.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

I really don't agree with you here.

It is the only way to break the chain. Someone has to start to change. And you know it won't be the people chained to stock holders (unless forced by outside pressure, like AMD releasing OSS drivers, cause of pressure from Intel).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Quote:

So then who do you mark as the arbiter of change? If software developers follow users, users follow hardware developers, and hardware developers follow software developers...

It doesn't matter who marks the change, because the choice to only support GL and lose out on a lot of potential users is a very stupid choice to make. Let the bigger players who can afford it (iD/Doom3, anyone?) handle change.

Quote:

I have no idea why you're bringing OSs into this. This is about hardware being supported by programs, which in turn generates users. I think Doom3 showed quite well that when you have a high profile game only supporting OpenGL, hardware developers will make sure OpenGL works well enough.

PS. Believe it or not, the latter scenerio I made with users just waiting for support or get fed up enough occurs with Windows, too. If no one's paying Microsoft for the hardware to be supported, users are on their own.

I was illustrating the similarities between the two ideas, defending my view on it being Linux Ideology. If Doom3 paved this OpenGL path so well, why doesn't everything support GL these days?

And if nobody is paying for the hardware to be supported, the users won't be using it.

Quote:

Funny. When people keep saying to do that, they're constantly told it won't have an effect, or take it as Linux zealotry ("zomg, you don't support any Windows software, you Linux zealot! zomg").

Who says it won't have an effect? Also, it's not zealotry. Actively hating against windows, spreading false info and arguing that "Windows sucks" using invalid points is Linux zealotry.

Quote:

Take off your hat and look at this from the point of view of a developer who is trying to greate a game as fast as possible that would work for most people ;)
Alternative OS users have a lot less games availiable for them. If you make one work for them there is a bigger chanche of them buying it.

As was said, OpenGL generally works OK on Windows and not much worse on other OS'es. I personally haven't heard a single incident when OpenGL wouldn't have worked on any OS.

OpenGL wasn't dropped. It's just being supplemented by D3D.

Quote:

And generally if OpenGL does not work fine somewhere, you can blame the host drivers.

So pass the blame? The fact that it doesn't work, by most users, will fall back on YOUR program, they don't even know or care what drivers are. So, YOU make YOUR program work if you want the customers. Period.

Quote:

Then use OpenGL so these bugs(!) get heard by manufacturers and they do something about them. Just waiting for OpenGL to get better won't make it get better. You have to help it (if you really care).

Maybe in Utopia that would work. However, the average joe doesn't know or care what OpenGL and D3D are. The developers can pressure the manufacturers, but at the same time have to support whatever works (in this case, supplementing (NOT REPLACING) OGL with D3D where it helps).

By this thread, I can see deeper insight to the reasons Linux isn't working well at the moment. Compare arguments of KittyCat, Tomasu, and others to the arguments of RP, DDustin, and myself. The differences between the arguments is what I believe the difference between Linux and Windows, and why one works and one doesn't. You can't just live in your utopian world and only support your way of working. You have to support what is there, and make the end user happy. At the end of the day, the end user is more likely to drop the software that doesn't play friendly with their hardware, instead of fighting a losing battle with the hardware manufacturers for driver support.

vbovio
Member #8,283
January 2007

BAF speaks the truth.
If it were up to me I would only use OpenGL, but if I want to have some exposure of my game (specially a commercial one), I should support as many hardware and OS as possible.
I don't like DirectX, it is nothing 'elegant' and platform independant as OpenGL is. But the truth is that I have to live with it and use it, whether I like it or not, that's why I thought of the wrapper anyway.

---------------
BovioSoft

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

The first question you need to ask yourself is what your goals are. Then ask yourself what is the best way to achieve those goals?
If strengthening OpenGL is a goal, your game must support it and you should have info on your website about how to make OpenGL software work to increase understanding.
If getting maximum exposure of your game is a goal, then you will have to support as many clients as possible.

Those two goals are clearly in a bit of a conflict, you can't fully commit to both.

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

It doesn't matter who marks the change, because the choice to only support GL and lose out on a lot of potential users is a very stupid choice to make. Let the bigger players who can afford it (iD/Doom3, anyone?) handle change.

The bigger players are the ones least likely to push the change, because anything "different" risks profits. id Software is the exception, not the rule.

Quote:

If Doom3 paved this OpenGL path so well, why doesn't everything support GL these days?

Change doesn't happen overnight, you have to keep at it. Plus, Doom3 had a rather specific target audience, and that audience had newish (at the time) ATi and nVidia cards. For hardware manufacturers, there's no reason to change for a game that's not targetting users of your hardware.

Quote:

Who says it won't have an effect?

That's what I keep getting told. "I'm just a simple freelance/hobbyist/newbish programmer, I'm not gonna be able to make the market more favorable for OpenGL."

Quote:

OpenGL wasn't dropped. It's just being supplemented by D3D.

Which in turn causes very little, if any, change in how well OpenGL is supported with how much dominance D3D/DX has. It's like throwing a feather at a boulder to move it.

Quote:

By this thread, I can see deeper insight to the reasons Linux isn't working well at the moment. Compare arguments of KittyCat, Tomasu, and others to the arguments of RP, DDustin, and myself.

Not that I want to bring OSs into this, but there's a huge difference here. Linux cannot reliably support proprietary Microsoft APIs. I know you personally have a strong disagreeaance with this very direct fact, but it is the truth.

Quote:

At the end of the day, the end user is more likely to drop the software that doesn't play friendly with their hardware, instead of fighting a losing battle with the hardware manufacturers for driver support.

It's only lost when you give up.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

vbovio
Member #8,283
January 2007

yeah, that's true.. I guess I'll have to figure out later on..

---------------
BovioSoft

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Quote:

So pass the blame? The fact that it doesn't work, by most users, will fall back on YOUR program, they don't even know or care what drivers are. So, YOU make YOUR program work if you want the customers. Period.

So... how many people does this apply to? The ones with really bad or non-existent OpenGL support?

If you are going for the number of users (for maximum profits), it may just be possible that maintaining two sets of graphic libraries and accommodating all of the desired features in a game together may incur more development and maintenance expense than the revenue obtained from users who have these cards and also want to use your software in the first place.

kikabo
Member #3,679
July 2003

Quote:

So... how many people does this apply to? The ones with really bad or non-existent OpenGL support?

Millions, ok, I'm guessing but there are many that have never updated their grx drivers or have low spec machines. These might be your gran's pc, a pc at work, at a club or a family pc. Use OpenGL and there is a good chance your game will not perform well on some of these computers.

You could argue that you write games for games PC's and gamers but people that buy a PC for games buy FPS' and are the thin end of the wedge, that's a market that most homebrew game writers can't in anyway compete with, writing something small and cheap that would appeal to anyone and work on 'those' computers seems more sensible to me.

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Quote:

Use OpenGL and there is a good chance your game will not perform well on some of these computers.

Don't use cross platform libraries and you cut yourself out of view for several (tens of?) millions of users. I mostly mean Apple and Linux users but there are others also, though they are not as big as those two.

And I agree with Archon, trying to "fix" the bad hardware by trying to somehow use only the working things might not be that easy and may not end up being worth the time. You could have made a whole new game during the time you made that single one work on badly supported HW.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Except there are already wrappers out there which have the same level of functionality as OpenLayer and yet work on OpenGL and DirectX. You are all ignoring this little fact..

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

How well do those wrappers work on those broken setups?
Also current topic was started as a question of how to make one wrapper yourself, not what preexisting wrapper to use :)

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

The new Neon Wars uses a modified PTK engine and it works well in our tests. Most machines work better using OpenGL, but a few get better performance from using D3D or don't work at all in OpenGL, but work well in D3D.

Quote:

Also current topic was started as a question of how to make one wrapper yourself, not what preexisting wrapper to use

Yes, but that doesn't negate my point.. ;)

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

So from what you said it can be concluded that when choosing OpenGL you have bigger audience than with D3D/DX :)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

So from what you said it can be concluded that when choosing OpenGL you have bigger audience than with D3D/DX :)

Quite true. Cept with BOTH, the audience is larger :)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Of cource it is larger. It just boils down to wether you use a premade wrapper, are ready to invest time to make one yourself or don't want to use any wrapper and choose only one.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

I'd say there are some features I really appreciated about D3D that OpenGL is clearly lacking. What those features are aren't entirely important but whats important is !(OpenGL > D3d). Theres no point in pretended it is.

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

The point of using a common wrapper is not to use as many effects and features as possible, but to restrict to a common subset in order to support more than one software platform. So if such a wrapper would exist (and easy to use), then why not use it?

I would like to use a simple wrapper of this sort. Simple means something that restricts to mostly 2D functionality, maybe like OpenLayer, but with optional D3D usage. There are wrappers of course, like OGRE, Irrlicht or CrystalSpace 3D, but they are mostly 3D oriented and not really easy to use. There is a nice 2D wrapper for Irrlicht (called Magic 2D), but unfortunately that's not free software, other wise it might have been that I would use that instead of allegro+OL+more stuff.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Quote:

Of cource it is larger. It just boils down to wether you use a premade wrapper, are ready to invest time to make one yourself or don't want to use any wrapper and choose only one.

That is irrelevant. We aren't talking about the workload here, we were discussing utilizing both OGL and D3D. Most of you guys have it set in your mind that its either D3D or OGL. We are talking D3D AND OGL, so the audiences are added, not chosen between.

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Quote:

We are talking D3D AND OGL, so the audiences are added, not chosen between.

Why don't all game development businesses do this then?

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

We are talking D3D AND OGL

With as much weight as D3D has, there isn't much of an AND. If D3D works (and you know MS will make damn well sure it does), then people won't bother with OGL (especially if D3D works and OGL doesn't). Making OGL the default may help generate use, but otherwise only people that already want to use OGL over D3D will care.

--

1   2   3   4 

Go to: