Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » A Mormon President?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
A Mormon President?
axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

The discussion does not need to get heated. Religion is part of politics, as any other aspect of life.

For me, it goes like this: since religions are all fake (personal belief, no need to get upset), politics should not be mixed with religions.

Kauhiz
Member #4,798
July 2004

Quote:

religions are all fake

The funny thing is, most religions say this about all other religions.

---
It's Ridge Racer! RIIIIIDGE RAAAAACER!

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Well done, Lenny. Resorting to red herrings and ad hominems, are we? Good to hear you don't have any real arguments. :P

Quote:

That reminds me of a cute little quote by Stephen Robertson: "I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

TIME PARADOX APPEND:

Quote:

The constitution of said country states that ALL religions are considered equal under the law.

And why can't we debate that? Just because the law says that doesn't mean we have to when we're debating it. Again, if we're going to debate the impact some particular religion would have on politics, we're going to have to examine that religion! There's just no two ways about it. Anything else is a bleeding copout, probably by someone who can't stand to have his superstitions challenged by rationality. :P

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Quote:

I can not know if there is an entity that created the universe, but I certainly know that all the dogmas of all religions are wrong. In that light, all religions are fake.

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

Quote:

The discussion does not need to get heated. Religion is part of politics, as any other aspect of life.

In my country the law establishes that members of the church are not to deal with politics in any way. That rule is from 1850, but has been relaxed with the more catholic-oriented government we had the past 6 years.

-R

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

Well done, Lenny. Resorting to red herrings and ad hominems, are we? Good to hear you don't have any real arguments.

I thought it was too obvious to state, but here you are: The constitution of said country states that ALL religions are considered equal under the law. Therefore you do not need to discuss the merits and practices of individual religions.

The need for religion or lack of it in politics is a matter worth discussing, but there is no need to discuss why people are religious, and whether this makes them insane or not.

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

A religion thread, and I wasn't invited!? WHAT IS THIS TOMFOOLERY

http://www.duckiehorde.net/religion.jpg

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

Mmm, hamburgers...

-R

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

The truth is, though, that without religion, there would be fewer wars, less excuses for the politicians to abuse people, less discrimination, less craziness.

There'd also be less charity, less goodwill in general, and less motivation for a lot of people to have any sort of positive vision for their own lives and the world around them. And without science, we'd have a lot less death and destruction from various form of weaponry.

It's not religion, and it's not science, because both have been tools for good and evil. It's people. This is also a discussion we've had before; even if religion had never existed, there'd still be wars. You don't honestly think GWB or bin Laden really believe their own tripe when they talk about God in relation to events of recent years, do you? For someone who keeps going on about how they prize logic, I shouldn't have to repeat this stuff to you. You are NOT this stupid, stop acting like it and start thinking. ::)

Quote:

I know full well that would be futile, as the truly devoted will never change their colors

Truly devoted? I was an athiest for decades, and I'm open to intelligent argument. I'm not "truly devoted", just not as gullible as some people here would like me to be. I also like playing devil's advocate, which is fairly easy in this case because I used to be you and axilmar. ;D

Sorry if I said I'd step out, but if everyone else can copy/paste the same old tired arguments, I'll do the same with the counterpoints. :P

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Hey, you seem to miss a key article here. Though I can't believe that you haven't observed it before. Everytime, somebody is going to discuss religion. They're going to tell the same "truths" again, again and again. Nobody is going to accept the "truth" from the other camp. That's why theese discussions are endless and pointless.

Live and let live. If you need to discuss religion relating to the OP, please do so, but above posts seem to go really offtopic.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

That's why theese discussions are endless and pointless.

Granted, which is why I don't start them. But if someone else is going to excrete their ignorance onto the board, I would be remiss to not at least attempt to correct them. :)

As for the actual topic, I have no idea if this guy is any more a Mormon than GWB is a Christian, so assuming anything of his policies that he hasn't explicitly stated is a waste of time. It's not like the article linked says anything about policies influenced by Mormonism specifically. Oh noes, polygamy! .... uh, no.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

And without science, we'd have a lot less death and destruction from various form of weaponry.

And shorter lifespans, much lower standard of living and health.

The dark ages shunned any sort of "science", look where it got them for a couple hundred years.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

The dark ages shunned any sort of "science", look where it got them for a couple hundred years.

I'm not shunning science. But anyone who shuns religion for the same reasons should, or else they're fostering a double standard. I'm just being realistic and not throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

TF: at least the Earth would not be overcrowded ;)
23: I just remembered old thing
{"name":"591225","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/9\/39af0f2cf084d52f612be853cbd40904.jpg","w":491,"h":715,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/9\/39af0f2cf084d52f612be853cbd40904"}591225

"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Quote:

I can't make Hillary president, but I can... never mind.

I always thought Chelsea was hot for some reason...

Quote:

Sorry if I said I'd step out, but if everyone else can copy/paste the same old tired arguments, I'll do the same with the counterpoints. :P

I'll tell what them Iraqi's could use, they could use some good old fashioned fire and brimstone, love thy neighbor as thyself, forgiveth your debts and ye forgive your debtors, and some turn the other cheek to boot.

I don't think Islam contains that last concept.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

nonnus: in fact it does, as far as I remember they use the Bible as a basic for their religion and building other things on top of that.

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Quote:

nonnus: in fact it does, as far as I remember they use the Bible as a basic for their religion and building other things on top of that.

Really? I thought it was all 'eye for an eye' 'car bomb for car bomb' type of thing....

:'(

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

The trouble is Muhammad came after Jesus, so his contradictory teachings invalidate everything Jesus said. Jesus was the one with the peaceful messages to put an end to the brutal theocracies of the past millennia.

Islamic faith is more akin to what you see in the Old Testament than what you see in the new. Just because Muhammad came after Jesus doesn't mean he teaches the same things. Read what Jesus taught and compare it to Muhammad, then make your own informed opinion.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Where are all the good new religions? >:(

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

Where are all the good new religions?

Like, Scientology?

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Where are all the good new religions? >:(

fret no more: http://www.venganza.org/

Quote:

Like, Scientology?

He said GOOD.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Doh! I forgot to include the FSM Religion! That's great, obviously..
What else is new & good though?

We demand new religions!

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

The Church of the Invisible Pink Unicorn is a great religion as well.

-R

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Unfortunately it's the people who made Islam what is it now. Now I'm speaking about those skillful imans who abuse Islam for their own purposes to seek power. If you see it objectively normal people want to live in peace.

By the way what I remember from history lessons is that Christians were allowed to live in Islamic countries, they only had to pay some extra tax, because they haven't accepted the whole "truth" (Koran), but they accepted both testaments and it was good. The real trouble was with the Jews.

Also the Jesus is on of the prophets by the Islam. And who do you think began with holy wars? If I remember correcly it was pope in Rome who told that Jerusalem must be in christian hands and called fro crusades in the name of god. Ironicaly under the same god as moeslims have...

ML: All I have to say is: "Fear, in my opinion, is a key article of faith."

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Maybe it should be part of the constitution that presidents aren't allowed to try to convert their and other countries to their own religion. :)

Go to: