Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » A Mormon President?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
A Mormon President?
23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

The latest posts remind me of Isaiah 55:11. Did you know God's word never returns void? ;D

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

If a.cc expended as much energy on making games as it does religious debates, there'd be... well, there'd be a hell of a lot of allegro games being made, that's certain.

{"name":"591273","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/7\/b7133bed907b45b3aad1e9a1703cc1d7.png","w":348,"h":410,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/7\/b7133bed907b45b3aad1e9a1703cc1d7"}591273[/img]

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

nonnus: That's so funny I almost spilled my coffee over the keyboard. Next time please be less funny.

-R

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

My friends just looked at me with surprise when I began to laugh. :D

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Next compo be about games filled with propaganda about the coder's religious/antireligious conviction.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

I dunno

{"name":"Moofam.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/1\/6117401a87c8b4f9bb5783305a015050.gif","w":575,"h":406,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/1\/6117401a87c8b4f9bb5783305a015050"}Moofam.gif

They look a bit shifty to me.

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

A challenger appears

http://pehkonen.1g.fi/mona/tykkaa/haisuli2.gif

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Why can't something be omnipotent? Sure, it could create something so large it couldn't lift it, right? Then it wouldn't be omnipotent, right? You're right, but to put it correctly, you wouldn't be omnipotent anymore. If you are omnipotent, you can do anything, even removing your own omnipotence is within your realm. Therefore, anything an omnipotent being does that defeats itself simply falls under the category of the omnipotent being removing its own omnipotence (which an omnipotent being can do). But why would it ever do that?

Just fueling the fire. ;D

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

Just fueling the fire. ;D

Nah. This is just more purely academic babble, especially since we've shown that God is clearly not omnipotent. :)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

especially since we've shown that God is clearly not omnipotent.

I didn't say anything about God (I'm going to stay out of that area). Just trying to prove that omnipotence isn't impossible (or playing devil's advocate).

------------

Samuli
Member #1,837
January 2001

Onewing: That being wouldn't be omnipotent. Obviously, an omnipotent being should be able to perform any given task. So I kindly ask him (assume masculinity for simplicity) to design a game he himself can't finish coding, then finish coding it. One of the two tasks will definetly fail, thus failing the task.

Ok, now you could say that he'd lose his omnipotence while designing the game. Let's change the task to form: "design a game you can't finish coding without losing your omnipotence blah.."

By the way, I find the usual form of the paradox "create a stone so big you can't lift it" a bit ill defined. Where is the guy standing? If he's standing on earth, he'll just simply push earth with his legs, thus lifting the stone. So, there should be two stones he couldn't move and he should be standing on either one.

This is so much fun I'm getting a headache.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

I didn't say anything about God

True, but it's the topic (well, as of about post 20 or so it is :)), so I wanted to keep it a bit relevant. And I would agree that true omnipotence is impossible, while God is close enough that we should be able to say "he's omnipotent" without having to qualify that statement to the smartasses. :)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

Ok, now you could say that he'd lose his omnipotence while designing the game. Let's change the task to form: "design a game you can't finish coding without losing your omnipotence blah.."

Tricky! Okay, assuming you mean "finsh a game that you design specifically impossible for yourself to finish without ever losing your omni-stuff."

Designing the game is no problem, of course, finishing it is. So our friend Omni creates a free-willed race that learns to live, spead and evolve over many centuries. The goal is that the race will eventually finish the task somewhere over the timeline of infinity. Then of course you have the argument of who finished the game, Omni or the race.

I don't know, I'm not omnipotent.

Quote:

This is so much fun I'm getting a headache.

This is such a headache, it's getting fun.

------------

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Ouch, what have I done, what? ::)

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

Quote:

I don't know, I'm not omnipotent.

Wouldn't "knowing" things fall under omniscience? :P

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

What's that coming over the hill? Is it a unicorn? Is it a unicorn?

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

Wouldn't "knowing" things fall under omniscience?

I'm not claiming that either...

------------

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

Quote:

I'm not claiming that either...

Damn ;). I intended to ask you where I put the manual for my motherboard :).

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

Does Gödel's theorem apply to a non-omnipotent, non-omniscient God?

-R

Samuli
Member #1,837
January 2001

I think Gödel's theorem states that it's impossible to say whether a system has no contradictions using only the axioms of the system. Or something like that, I'm too tired to look it up. So I'd say theorem doesn't apply to such a thing.

Eihter that or I didn't get what you're saying/I'm thinking of some other theorem of Gödel. He had a few of 'em.

Edit: paradoxal typo

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Quote:

... doesn't applies ...

How interesting

manjula
Member #3,569
June 2003

Kali ma is displeased with you all

{"name":"KaliMother.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/c\/9c39f92e0c50fa28128957f8b0be7b28.jpg","w":635,"h":652,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/c\/9c39f92e0c50fa28128957f8b0be7b28"}KaliMother.jpg

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Quote:

There may be more than one universe. Science is still unsure about that..

Since, by definition, the universe is all that we can sense in one way or another, finding "more universes" would merely expand the universe as we know it (like they've been doing for hundreds of years).

Quote:

Can God microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?

Supernovas don't just happen, ya know. He's using the scientific method to test this.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Quote:

Kali ma is displeased with you all

More anime?

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Quote:

More anime?

::)