Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » A Mormon President?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
A Mormon President?
Kauhiz
Member #4,798
July 2004

Quote:

The real trouble was with the Jews.

Isn't it always?* ;D

*) I'm just kidding. I loathe all religions equally.

---
It's Ridge Racer! RIIIIIDGE RAAAAACER!

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

Maybe it should be part of the constitution that presidents aren't allowed to try to convert their and other countries to their own religion. :)

The same should aply to lifestyle, goverment type and "democracy".

Quote:

Isn't it always?

Yes, it is - from the sight of Islam.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Quote:

The same should aply to lifestyle, goverment type and "democracy".

plz

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Rampage said:

In my country the law establishes that members of the church are not to deal with politics in any way. That rule is from 1850, but has been relaxed with the more catholic-oriented government we had the past 6 years.

In my country, the Church has a hand in almost everything.

23yrold3yrold said:

There'd also be less charity, less goodwill in general

Charity and goodwill are not a function of religion. Look at Asia and Africa: no charity and goodwill there, yet plenty of religion. And in the middle ages, there was no charity and goodwill in Europe.

23yrold3yrold said:

and less motivation for a lot of people to have any sort of positive vision for their own lives and the world around them.

Polls prove you wrong: religious and superstition people have a negative vision of their own lives and the world; atheists do not.

23yrold3yrold said:

even if religion had never existed, there'd still be wars.

There would be far less excuses. People would be more informed and less available to exploitation.

23yrold3yrold said:

You don't honestly think GWB or bin Laden really believe their own tripe when they talk about God in relation to events of recent years, do you?

GWB's or Bin Laden's authority comes from the people who are gullible enough to vote for them or support them.

23yrold3yrold said:

You are NOT this stupid, stop acting like it and start thinking

Please, no names. Critise my argument, not me.

23yrold3yrold said:

I was an athiest for decades, and I'm open to intelligent argument.

So perhaps you can answer the following question:

If the universe is so complex that it can only have been created by an intelligent designer, then the designer is more complex than the universe. Who then created the designer?

OICW said:

That's why theese discussions are endless and pointless.

These discussions are not pointless. We make them pointless, due to our selfishness: we do not want to listen to the arguments of others, we simply state our beliefs.

There is only one truth, because there is one universe. Everyone may focus on a different part of the truth, but there is only one truth after all.

Matthew Leverton said:

Jesus was the one with the peaceful messages to put an end to the brutal theocracies of the past millennia.

I couldn't agree more. Modern application of christianity has nothing to do with Jesus' message.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

These discussions are not pointless. We make them pointless, due to our selfishness: we do not want to listen to the arguments of others, we simply state our beliefs.

Yes we make them pointless, because we don't know how to lead them, therefore they're pointless. :o

Quote:

There is only one truth, because there is one universe.

Ehm, that's only what we think. Have you read "Trouble with the bubbles" by P. K. Dick? Of course that's a science fiction, but gives a good idea of what could be possible, because we don't know this fact for sure.

Quote:

If the universe is so complex that it can only have been created by an intelligent designer, then the designer is more complex than the universe. Who then created the designer?

I will throw in a good question. If somebody would be omnipotent, then he could invent some unsolvable problem. Isn't that paradox? I mean that if you're omnipotent, it means that you can solve everything.

"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

axilmar said:

By the very nature of religion, or at least the one in question, believing in magic to some extent, that question answers itself. Although, it is not as if that question is answered sufficiently through logic by any other system of belief, nor can it be, and therefore, is entirely pointless. Whether you choose to believe that an intelligent designer created the universe or whether it was created by an explosion of a near infinitely dense particle, you still have the question of where that designer or particle came from. It is an unanswerable question, invoking no thought other than circular reasoning in an endless cycle and is therefore, pointless.

axilmar said:

There is only one truth, because there is one universe. Everyone may focus on a different part of the truth, but there is only one truth after all.

It is not that people chose not to listen, although for some this is the case, but rather that listening to such arguments leads nowhere. The arguments by their very nature must be incomplete, considering that the "one truth" you speak of cannot possibly be known to any individual. Actually, I think I shall take that back. Everyone knows this "one truth" and no one is wrong. Truth is nothing more than a mere perception of reality, perceive it however you wish, but you cannot expect others to do so in the same fashion.

The bottom line is, axilmar, that all are incapable of knowing anything at all for an unvarying fact without including in a multitude of assumptions. Of course, as time goes on, even more and more assumptions must be included to call anything at all fact.

Basically, you can build your beliefs about the origin of life and the universe off of evidence or you can build it off faith, but either way, your beliefs are unverifiable. Thus, no matter your side of the argument, you are arguing over fiction and "what-if" questions. It is because of this, and not because of self-imposed loss of hearing, that these arguments lead nowhere.

In any event, I now grow bored of typing, and a quite a bit earlier than usual with much smaller paragraphs. Feel free to dispute anything, but it will not lead you anywhere. You cannot even be certain of what you are seeing before your very eyes; claiming to be certain about what might have happened or what occurred an eternity before your eyes came to be is pure fallacy.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I'm ignoring most of the comments because there is no simple answer. If there were, everyone would be a Christian or an Atheist or whatever. But this one always bugs me:

Quote:

I will throw in a good question. If somebody would be omnipotent, then he could invent some unsolvable problem. Isn't that paradox? I mean that if you're omnipotent, it means that you can solve everything.

If "omnipotent" means a being can do anything, including contradictory things, then nothing can be omnipotent by its very definition, and therefore the term itself is bogus and should be thrown out of the dictionary.

Omnipotence, when dealing with the Christian God (and I would hope, in general), simply means He has the ability to do anything within His nature. The Bible says God cannot lie. That alone should tell you that omnipotence has nothing to do with being able to do everything.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Quote:

Polls prove you wrong: religious and superstition people have a negative vision of their own lives and the world; atheists do not.

That sounds strange. Of all people I have met, I must say that atheists tend to have more negative visions.

And these discussions are not pointless. After a discussion like this, someone might change their point of view, in either direction. But the most important thing is to gain understanding of alternative ideas and people who believe in these ideas. I won't turn into an atheist because of these discussions, but I think it is important for me to read what atheists think. Well, for anyone who isn't interested in what people of other beliefs think, this is a pointless discussion. Whether they are Christians, atheists or Potrzebists.

[edit]
Me to God, if I ever meet him face to face: "Please show me how you divide with zero! PLEASE!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

nonnus29 said: I always thought Chelsea was hot for some reason...

I saw Chelsea's portrail in the Beavis and ButtHead movie. I thought it was accurate. As to the Holy War reference, it was a pope who coined the phrase "Kill them all, let God sort them out". Just shows what a theocracy would do when empowered.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

Charity and goodwill are not a function of religion. Look at Asia and Africa: no charity and goodwill there, yet plenty of religion.

Compassion Canada and Watoto, off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more; it's not like I live there.

Quote:

For every poll you can provide that shows this, I can probably show you a poll that doesn't.

Quote:

There would be far less excuses. People would be more informed and less available to exploitation.

I doubt that highly. Tons of successful propoganda doesn't even come close to being religious and seems to work fine.

Quote:

Please, no names. Critise my argument, not me.

You don't make arguments. You preach truisms. Rather religiously, too. The hypocrisy gets tired.

Quote:

No clue. Firstly, why do you assume this is a foundation of my faith at all, and second, how would my agreeing with the alternative be any less stupid? Another reason these discussions are pointless is because of purely academic questions like that one. If I were to agree or disagree with you, I would be equally illogical. So why waste my time?

PS: I don't see why a creator would have to be more complex. The scientific explanation for the start of the universe seemed to take a simple start and produce rather complex results.

Quote:

There is only one truth, because there is one universe.

100% agreed.

Quote:

If "omnipotent" means a being can do anything, including contradictory things, then nothing can be omnipotent by its very definition, and therefore the term itself is bogus and should be thrown out of the dictionary.

Also 100% agreed, which is why I laugh at the "God can't make a rock so big He can't lift it" crowd. Matthew also pointed out the usual example of something God can't do. Wow, God can't be omnipotent means God isn't omnipotent? I always thought God can't be omnipotent means God can't exist! The mind reels!

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

TeamTerradactyl
Member #7,733
September 2006

You boys still at this discussion?

There's a Mormon guy running for presidency. So what? Get over it.

"Oh no! This guy's a Catholic!"
"Uh-oh! This guy's a Protestant!"
"Mercy! This guy's a Muslim!"
"What do we do? This guy's a Mormon!"
"What's to come of us? This guy's an Athiest!"
"It's the end of the world! This guy's Buddhist!"

Has it mattered in the past what religion the president is? My personal feeling is that someone who is religious would better be able to relate to my feelings about certain political, social, and economic views than someone who says "God is not, therefore, no one should benefit from believing in God." But that's only me.

If he doesn't impose his religious beliefs on everyone else, but rather believes however he wants, and allows us to believe how we want, what's the problem?

C'mon. You're kicking the wrong horse. ::)

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Part of being a leader is imposing your will( and beliefs) on those you control.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Has it mattered in the past what religion the president is?

3 letters, G W B.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Quote:

"God can't make a rock so big He can't lift it"

Can God microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?

As for the OP, regardless of his religious preferences he is bound to screw up somehow. Presidents these days always seem to find ways to mess up in the public's opinion

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

There may be more than one universe. Science is still unsure about that.. ;)

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

ML said:

Exactly. This was my point with that question.

Quote:

Omnipotence, when dealing with the Christian God (and I would hope, in general), simply means He has the ability to do anything within His nature. The Bible says God cannot lie. That alone should tell you that omnipotence has nothing to do with being able to do everything.

Finaly I have some logical argument I can tell to a friend. We just have and interesting discussion over John Hume's teachings and I said what if our "god" (who holds our universe in "memory") is a creation in his own world which is dominated by some other "god". He kept telling me, that the "god" is "omnipotent" so it's not possible to be a part of another creation.

In other words I have remembered P.K.Dick...

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/02/19/romney_joined_nra_in_august/

Nothing to do with religion in politics. Just another Massachusetts candidate waffling on the issues.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

There may be more than one universe. Science is still unsure about that.. ;)

I like the new "big rip" theory. Its really quite interesting. Though I'm not sure how the process is supposed to keep going, shouldn't it make increasingly smaller and smaller universes as it gets split into tiny pieces each time? I dunno.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Quote:

I always thought Chelsea was hot for some reason...

I'd bet a lot of the reason John Kerry did so badly is that his two daughters inherited his canoe shaped head, and people couldn't bear the thought of looking at them on the cover of People magazine every three weeks just because they're the presidents daughters :D

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Quote:

It is a paradox.

Just an observtion:
You don't have to be omnipotent to invent an unsolvable problem.
Goldbach wasn't omnipotent but the Goldbach conjecture so far proved unsolvable.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

It is a paradox.

Yeah that's the point.

Samuli
Member #1,837
January 2001

I don't think this thread is far enough from the original post, so here goes:

Quote:

Just an observtion:
You don't have to be omnipotent to invent an unsolvable problem.
Goldbach wasn't omnipotent but the Goldbach conjecture so far proved unsolvable.

So far, but mathematicians tend to solve these kind of things or prove they're unsolvable. Remember mr. Wiles? I'd rather present Goodsteins theorem as an example. It has been shown that it's unprovable in Peano arithmetic but can be proven true with some other methods.

Or maybe even simpler example: present a rational number that can't be expressed in the form p/q where p and q are primes.. Seems quite unsolvable to me.

Quote:

Me to God, if I ever meet him face to face: "Please show me how you divide with zero! PLEASE!"

Maybe you could generalize this statement to the form: "Please show me undefined." Remember to post the answer to a.cc! ;)

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Quote:

Yeah that's the point.

So logically then, noone can be omnipotent. I suppose I was agreeing with you if that's whast you're saying.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Yep. I rememeber when I have discussion over this topic (omnipotency) with some people after playing some RPG game which resembled Sphere. They pointed this out. Also recommended me a book "Metamorphosis of prime intelect".

I also remember a discussion with a friend who is theist (I don't keep any prejudice here), he disagreed as well as some others. This friend didn't also get a note which ML posted above - that the God's "omnipotence" is limited by himself/his nature and therefore rejected the thought of "Trouble with a bubbles".

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

Quote:

"Please show me undefined."

And then God replied:

var foo;
window.alert(foo);

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

Go to: