Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » how to make my character 3D

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
how to make my character 3D
X-G
Member #856
December 2000

"Survives" still does not mean "A lot of people use it". I restate what I've said - you're the only person ever I've heard use it, American, British or otherwise.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

I challenge you to ask Richard Phipps if he's heard of it.

Quote:

pages

Hard Graft Pays OffHard Graft Pays Off ... “The whole drive of our work was to reduce scarring,” she explains. “It was driven by our focus on the problem of scarring for my ...
www.charteredaccountants.com.au/A116927427 - 46k - Cached - Similar pages

There's an australian using it. The internet didn't exist 200 yrs ago so it wasn't written then was it ?.

Google returns 1,300000 pages when I searched for "hard graft, hard work."

American English and English English aren't the same. I don't think you know many British people. Have you ever been to GB X-G?

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Again with the irrelevancies! I can find over a million pages for a number of archaic words; that doesn't mean they're commonly used. And whether or not I've physically been to the Isles is completely irrelevant. Are you quite done with your stupidity yet?

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Thanks for ruining my thread. I used the phrase to compliment someone and I got flamed. Do you know what the phrase Fuck Off means or am I making that up too ?

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

You get flamed because you insulted people for not knowing a particular very arcane and very area-specific word and then refusing to apologize even when it's pointed out how hideously rare this word is. You ruined your own thread.

--

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

Because I didn't realise how ignorant some of you are.

That's hardly fair, don't you think?

Quote:

I don't think you know many British people. Have you ever been to GB X-G?

Maybe he doesn't, but I do know a few. I've been to Britain a couple of times and I used to watch the BBC quite a bit back when I watched television and I read a lot of English books. I've never encountered the phrase before, though I can't say I didn't understand what you meant by it. If I remember I'll ask one of my British acquaintances about it when I see them again.

Quote:

Nope, never heard the expression either, and neither has any dictionary I can find.

The Oxford dictionary lists it as a noun, not as a verb though.

Quote:

Thanks for ruining my thread.

As X-G said, you've certainly done a lot to ruin it for yourself. Now take a deep breath, sleep on it for a night and then give it a rest.

Wilson Saunders
Member #5,872
May 2005

Getting back to topic:

I accomplished this effect by creating a Vanishing point in the center of the screen. I have world to screen function that make lower objects appear closer to the center. It looks some thing like this:

Point * WorldToScreen(Point * tgt){
  double Scailer = MAX_ALT/(tgt->z+1 );
  out->x = (tgt->x -center->x)*Scailer  + SCREEN_W/2;
  out->y = (tgt->y -center->y)*Scailer  + SCREEN_H/2;

return out;
}

Please don't point out this code will not work, my scalier function is actually much more complex, and the entire thing is wrapped in a c++ class which handels the memory management.

Anyway the building class contains 8 points; Four are at the corners on the ground and four are at the roof's corners. Once they have all been processed by this function I Draw the walls between the ground points and the roof point. I use Draw primitive filled triangle for this. Trying to bind a texture to it is going to be more processing than you really want to do without a 3d card. Once the walls are drawn, scale the roof bitmap to fit the roof corners and draw it on top.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Thanks Wilson.

Your code obviously does work because your image is proof but I've never learnt C++ so I don't really understand it well.
I'll keep looking at it and see what I can do.

Quote:

You get flamed because you insulted people for not knowing a particular very arcane and very area-specific word and then refusing to apologize even when it's pointed out how hideously rare this word is. You ruined your own thread.

Okay, I apologise for insulting people. I didn't have to do that. Please accept my apology.

Samuli
Member #1,837
January 2001

William, IMHO you have only a little to apologize. You gave a compliment, people got upset for a rare word (!) and your thread got very off topic very fast.

I've got some other thoughts about the argument, but I think it's better for the OP not to state them here. If anyone wants to go on about it, I suggest a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

You appear to be the only one who wants to go on about it...

This thread was about to die. Good job reviving it in an ironic way, though.

Samuli
Member #1,837
January 2001

True, but I found the whole argument so absurd I had to say something. I'd also find it rather odd if I was the only one.

Kauhiz
Member #4,798
July 2004

Just let the thing die...

---
It's Ridge Racer! RIIIIIDGE RAAAAACER!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Why are people arguing over a compliment!? ???

** EDIT **

Step 1: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=graft

Step 2: Edit > Find on this page > "work" > Find Next

Quote:

graft2 [graːft] noun

hard work

It took 10 seconds... I'd say the least you guys can do is apologize.

** END EDIT **

Some of you might not like what I say so I want to be clear at the top that I'm not trying to beef with anybody over this: I'm just standing up for William because from the looks of it he was the victim.

The Allegro community shouldn't be bashing people who speak differently; rather we should put the differences aside and stick to the community part and why we're here. Specifically, don't bash me because I said you were wrong. The thread wasn't about "graft" it was about (as I understand it) a 3D appearance from 2D graphics.

Quote:

... Your work suggests you've grafted at making graphics. ...

Quote:

I'm what?

Quote:

I wasn't accusing you of being anything. It wasn't a you're, it was a you've as in you have. In english when someone's worked hard we say he's done some hard graft.
Don't know why exactly. So when I said you have grafted I meant you have done some hard graft - worked hard on your graphics.

Quote:

Nope, never heard the expression either, and neither has any dictionary I can find. You're just making it up.

Quote:

I can perhaps understand why someone for whom english isn't a second language might think so. But otherwise that's a bit crazy.
But tell me why would I do that ?

#include <context.h>
#include <sensibility.h>
#include <understanding.h>

/*
 *    Looks like all he did was imply that it might be confusing for
 *    somebody whose first language isn't English to understand; but
 *    those that speak it should be able to pick up on context.
 */

Quote:

So it's 19th century slang? Why are you using it 200 years after it went out of style? And most of all, why are you surprised when no one understands what you mean?

/*
 *    This is the first time I've heard of it and I understood it just
 *    fine - *context*.
 */

Quote:

Because I didn't realise how ignorant some of you are.

Now I know why Jesus was crucified.

:o:D;D

/*
 *    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! (To those targetted, I'm not laughing at you;
 *    I'm laughing with you... Or without you, but you did ask for
 *    it)
 */

::)

Quote:

Um, So most of Canada, The States, and Britian is ignorant? It's just not used by ANYONE I've ever heard talking. ever.

/*
 *    He never said Canada, America, or Britain was ignorant. He
 *    implied that the negative posters - those targetting him for
 *    no apparent reason - are ignorant. I'd have to agree.
 */

/*
 *    Again, CONTEXT! He was either bashing the art (which judging by
 *    the art that's highly unlikely) or he was complimenting it (much
 *    more likely).
 */

Quote:

"Survives" still does not mean "A lot of people use it". I restate what I've said - you're the only person ever I've heard use it, American, British or otherwise.

2/*
3 * Just because you've never heard somebody say it does not mean
4 * it's not said by many people. There are something like 6 BILLION
5 * people in the world: can you name them all? Generally the words
6 * people use are words that are often used around them. For example,
7 * a few years ago I started using the phrase "It's all good" on a
8 * regular basis and before I knew it everybody around me was using
9 * it, even though they made fun of it at first. I then shortened it
10 * to "It's good" and that too caught on. (I'm not claiming to
11 * 'invent' these phrases - I listen to a lot of rap)
12 */
14/*
15 * The point is that if he uses "graft" in the context of applying
16 * oneself to his/her work than most likely there are people around
17 * him that use it in that context as well.
18 */

Quote:

Thanks for ruining my thread. I used the phrase to compliment someone and I got flamed. Do you know what the phrase Fuck Off means or am I making that up too ?

// Yeah, wtf guys?!

>:(

Quote:

From what I see people starting taking shots at William so why should he apologize?

I gotta say from what I've read it seems like you were the major aggressor in this thread, X-G. He even tried to explain the meaning of what he said and you and others accused him of making it up.

Why are you trying to pick fights over a compliment!?

Next time you get stressed buy a Glock and "hit the pillow". Don't take it out on people coming to Allegro for help.

P.S. Apparently the forums do not like such large replies? :o

Kauhiz
Member #4,798
July 2004

LET. THE. GODDAMN. THREAD. DIE! >:(

---
It's Ridge Racer! RIIIIIDGE RAAAAACER!

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Yeah, let the trolling thread lie ;-p

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

1   2 

Go to: