Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » VC++8 Express - error when running Allegro app - can't find MSVCR80.dll

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
VC++8 Express - error when running Allegro app - can't find MSVCR80.dll
Josh1billion
Member #7,646
August 2006

I've compiled/built, successfully, an example Allegro application. However, when trying to run the program, this error pops up:

The application has failed to start because MSVCR80.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I googled around a little to try to find a solution. I found a few results which seem to say that the DLL was left out (accidentally?) of the new .NET 2.0 framework.

The results told me where to look for MSVCR80.dll and two other similarly-named files. I tried copying those files to two different folders: first, the C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\something\something folder, and the other in C:\WINDOWS\system32\.

In the case of system32, the error stopped but a new error took its place. The error says something about an application incorrectly trying to use the Microsoft Visual C runtime libraries.

Any solutions?

--
www.JoshForde.com - my games.

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Quote:

The error says something about an application incorrectly trying to use the Microsoft Visual C runtime libraries.

Well that probably means that the file isn't what you want because the layout or whatever the compiler did is not what is expected by the runtime linker - eg, the library linker and the library binary is not a pair.

Maybe it's a registry thing?

I don't know what else to say because I don't use MSVC++8... However, other people have gotten it working - search the forum (use Google's search though).

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I had that problem and it turned out to be related to my copy of alleg42.dll. Try replacing your alleg42.dll with the one I have attached.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

MSVC 8 doesn't work like previous versions. You cannot just take the DLL and place it whereever you want. Before I go any farther... are you having problems running it on your own computer or another person's XP machine?

Josh1billion
Member #7,646
August 2006

I've decided to work with Allegro on a different machine.

Thanks anyway.

--
www.JoshForde.com - my games.

Go to: