Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » What Allegro meas in English

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
What Allegro meas in English
Corelian
Member #3,376
March 2003

Quote:

Musical degree? No. That was in another Universum, too. There he typed Adagio.

No, it wasn't Shawn. David Grace wrote Adagio. :)

Michael Faerber
Member #4,800
July 2004

Quote:

In this Universum Shawn happened to type the word Allegro. In another Universum he typed Potrzebie.

Musical degree? No. That was in another Universum, too. There he typed Adagio.

That could be from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy".

--
"The basic of informatics is Microsoft Office." - An informatics teacher in our school
"Do you know Linux?" "Linux? Isn't that something for visually impaired people?"

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

Evert said:

Quote:

Atari Low Level Graphics Routines [en.wikipedia.org]

What can I say? Don't trust wikipedia! ;)

Changes from 3.1 to 3.11 (Feb 1999) said:

1. Changed the name of the library. After years of thinking that Allegro was a word with no particular meaning, I realised that it is in fact a recursive acronym for "Allegro Low Level Game Routines".

I'm pretty sure that Shaun had once mentioned that the A in ALLEGRO stood for 'Atari'. There was definitely a (incomplete) version of Allegro for the Atari ST but somewhere along the line, it was dropped. Also bear in mind that Allegro has outgrown being just a low-level graphics routines library. I think that when the ST version was dropped, he declared Allegro to be a word without an acronym, so 'Allegro' stuck.

Audric said:

My guess is the name was chosen as a homage to STOS Maestro - the sound extension to STOS Basic.

Who knows? But I personally doubt it. Shaun, being a musical person, probably fished around for a musical term. STOS Maestro and Allegro 1.0 have nothing in common. STOS Maestro was just an extension for STOS that added the ability to play sampled sounds.

Thomas Harte said:

at the University of York (where all the best people went)

8-)

AE.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Quote:

at the University of York (where all the best people went)

Wrong, wrong & wrong. ;)

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

Wrong, wrong & wrong.

Well the bit about him having gone to the University of York is true - it says so on his CV (warning: DOC format). Interestingly he has named the file "cv.doc" but internally headed it "resume". It seems his want to become an American by stealth (see also: set_color, etc) has not abated.

I do anticipate that some of the best people did not go to the University of York however. Ghandi is an example. Maybe the rule is "all the best people have been called to the bar of England and Wales"? :)

NyanKoneko
Member #5,617
March 2005

When Shawn Hargreaves does push-ups, he doesn't move, he pushes the Earth up or down.

When Shawn Hargreaves wanted his first computer, he made it from old coke bottles and paper clips.

Shawn hargreaves didn't go to school, school came to him.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

NyanKoneko said:

Shawn hargreaves didn't go to school, school came to him.

If you read his CV/Resume, you'll see that is actually true. But being you, I can't be certain you don't already realise that.

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Maybe we should ask him, after all he sometimes appears on the forums :)

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

He might, but it is unlikely.

Perhaps we have to offer a sacrifice?

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Quote:

He might, but it is unlikely.

I know :)

I PMed him, let's see, we might have some luck :)

-----

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

Thomas Harte said:

Interestingly he has named the file "cv.doc" but internally headed it "resume". It seems his want to become an American by stealth

Or he just adjusted cv.doc for the North-American market.

From what I gather, Resumes are like CVs but shorter. I found this out by seeing some American complain that the British had a reputation for sending enormous Resumes.

AE.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

From what I gather, Resumes are like CVs but shorter. I found this out by seeing some American complain that the British had a reputation for sending enormous Resumes.

A rule seemingly inscribed in stone is that a Curriculum Vitae shall not be more than two pages long. Shawn's resume is four pages long, but is very light reading. Due to the two page rule, most CVs end up being very dense.

LordHolNapul
Member #3,619
June 2003

mmm , It seems that I've lost the line that connects the posts... this probably would results in an "bug not handled" inside the Matrix machine, leaving us into a limbo of lost bytes and unsuccessfull code.

maybe...

// hacking main system variables
char * random_loc = 0x000034424654424456656446542;
string allegro = random_loc;
main_str_matrix_syst_02422 = allegro;
set_reset_matrix_syst_154455();

goto main;

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

When Shawn Hargreaves cuts onion, the onion weeps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Quote:

A rule seemingly inscribed in stone is that a Curriculum Vitae shall not be more than two pages long.

That is typical of western resume's as well. It is very rare that it would be necessary to have more than 2 pages. The subject would need to have many accomplishments related to the position he is applying for.

A poorly made resume will include too much information. I have not seen Shawn's, but if a resume is 4 pages long (excluding cover letter) it usually means that too much information is being included. If you have 5 or more jobs listed from various different fields, that's too much information. Education, accomplishments and hobbies that have absolutely nothing to do with the job you're applying for (short of volunteer work in absense of employment history) are also just clutter. The HR department of Sun does not care if a person applying for a programming position has taken a Food Handler's Course at his local college, or that he has WHIMIS training, or that his hobbies include horse back riding and water polo. ;)

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Derezo: With all due respect, your post contains a lot of bull.

To be a bit more constructive, I'm underlining the bull:

Quote:

That is typical of western resume's as well. It is very rare that it would be necessary to have more than 2 pages. The subject would need to have many accomplishments related to the position he is applying for.

A poorly made resume will include too much information. I have not seen Shawn's, but if a resume is 4 pages long (excluding cover letter) it usually means that too much information is being included. If you have 5 or more jobs listed from various different fields, that's too much information. Education, accomplishments and hobbies that have absolutely nothing to do with the job you're applying for (short of volunteer work in absense of employment history) are also just clutter. The HR department of Sun does not care if a person applying for a programming position has taken a Food Handler's Course at his local college, or that he has WHIMIS training, or that his hobbies include horse back riding and water polo. ;)

In order of underlining I classify them as bull because:

• Why not check out his CV by clicking on it before implying something about it?

• I think that you should list all your work experience. Having "blank" periods in your CV will raise the question: "What the heck did this bum do during these periods in his life?"

• Education, accomplishments and hobbies in different fields can tell things about you as a person. Though there is no need to get into specific details.

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Quote:

A rule seemingly inscribed in stone is that a Curriculum Vitae shall not be more than two pages long. Shawn's resume is four pages long, but is very light reading. Due to the two page rule, most CVs end up being very dense.

<afaik>CVs are not limited in length - the two-page "limit" is for resumes (one page preferable if possible). The resume is supposed to be a snapshot of the CV targeted to what you are applying for.

For example, your CV could contain all your previous work experience (let's say from woodshop work to programming). Now, if you would apply for a programming job with a resume, you would take the CV, remove everything that is not related to the job you're going after and adjust things around a bit. Now you would have your resume (which is also called a basic CV, because the terminology wasn't enough of a mess yet :P), which is targeted for the job.

After checking on the subject, I noticed the a British CV is considered analogous to the resume (as seen by Americans) - not an "actual" CV. I wonder if this is right.</afaik>

Shawn Hargreaves
The Progenitor
April 2000

Hey, my global internet monitoring spy satellite system reported that someone was talking about me...

Some facts (at least as I remember them):

Back before the dawn of time Allegro was started on the ST, and the name stood for Atari Low LEvel Game ROutines.

Then after time started flowing normally it wasn't on the ST any more, so I decided the name could just be recursive instead.

You can't always believe everything I wrote in the changelog. But you can believe everything you read on Wikipedia. At least in this particular instance.

It had nothing to do with STOS.

Yes, the musical connection was intentional, in both the bright/happy and the quick senses of the term (I actually think that sums up the Allegro design philosophy pretty well: if you have to choose just one, happy is more important than quick, but ideally it is nice to have both).

At the time I was unaware of the Lisp compiler also called Allegro. Had there been Google back then, I probably would have called it something else. But there wasn't, so I didn't, and I don't really care that much anyway. Lisp is very cool though.

It is true that all the best people went to York, at least if you exclude the ones who went elsewhere.

It is not true that I'm trying to become an American by stealth: I am one right out in the open and have the passport to prove it! (although you'd never guess from my accent).

Man, CV's are complicated! I never put anywhere near that much thought into mine...

Incidentally, have any of you guys seen the stuff MS just announced at GDC about the XNA framework? (http://www.microsoft.com/xna/default.aspx) I think it's very cool, but then I have to admit I'm kind of biased :-)

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

HEY ! This was a post of the ultimate only one, the extreme Shawn Himself !!!

He now have post_count+1 !

Thanks for all those explanations :-) ( I want the same spy sat as your !! ;-p )

And for the XNA stuff, I cannot say if i'm happy or bored . I'm waiting to see if it will be the next whole-powerfull M$ thrust.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Maybe it was Shaun who persuaded Bill to add proper OpenGL support to Vista then ;)

XNA seems more like a rebranding of Visual Studio to me, though the slideshow omits Allegro from the game engines

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

me said:

I PMed him

GullRaDriel said:

( I want the same spy sat as your !! ;-p )

;D

Now we know for sure, thanks Shawn!!! :)

-----

Shawn Hargreaves
The Progenitor
April 2000

Quote:

XNA seems more like a rebranding of Visual Studio to me

There's certainly some of that, but lots of new cool stuff too, and we haven't announced the really cool parts yet. It's kind of an umbrella marketing term that gets applied to things like Visual Studio and DirectX along with the new original tech the XNA team is developing (marketing people, huh? you gotta love them...)

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Shawn has been CONVERTED ! Be Warned ! He IS one of them ! ;-p

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Quote:

Derezo: With all due respect, your post contains a lot of bull.

I don't think so. I don't understand where you're coming from :-/

Quote:

Why not check out his CV by clicking on it before implying something about it?

It was not directly related to my comment, that is why I had excluded it by saying that I had not read it and that I was referring to a Resume (which is something a little different than a CV). I did not make a complete blanket statement, I did leave room for exceptions. Having read it now, I do think it could be condensed a fair bit. However, most of the size seems to come from the formatting. European CV's and Resume's likely differ significantly from North American Resume's. I only have a good understanding of North American Resume's.

Quote:

I think that you should list all your work experience. Having "blank" periods in your CV will raise the question: "What the heck did this bum do during these periods in his life?"

Again, a CV is significantly different than a Resume, but to back up my claims about a Resume you can read these articles. Experts seem to disagree with you about North American Resume's, and so do I. :-/
It is absolutely useless and ultimately reflects negatively on yourself to highlight the fact that you worked at McDonalds for 2 months, Burger King for 3 weeks and Wendy's for 9 months if you follow it with your more recent employment at Intel Corporation for 6 years, Microsoft Corporation for 3 years, IBM for 9 years, etc.

There are situations where a resume should be longer than 2 pages, of course. However, most resume's that are longer than 2 pages include information that is irrelavant clutter.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

I think CV usage differs from country to country.

wikipedia said:

In American English usage, a CV or Resume will include a comprehensive listing of professional history including every term of employment, academic credential, publication, contribution or significant achievement. ... In contrast, a résumé is a summary typically limited to one or two pages highlighting only those experiences and credentials which the author considers most relevant to the desired position. CVs are the preferred recruiting tool for academic and medical professions while résumés are generally preferred for business employment.

1   2   3 

Go to: