Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » A.cc ChristmasHack

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
A.cc ChristmasHack
relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

The deadline sure is approaching fast, but now I get home at a sensible time again, so I should be able to go a bit faster.

Though still, I think I am going to have to focus alot less on minor details, which I seem to frequently obsess over, causing my to program something in a few minutes then tweak it for a few hours.

Also, I have to say, while the graphics are far from perfect, they aren't all that bad. YAy for a pluthera of freely available 3d models.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

Though still, I think I am going to have to focus alot less on minor details, which I seem to frequently obsess over, causing my to program something in a few minutes then tweak it for a few hours.

That's been my biggest problem. I can't wait to get back home and get to work! Good thing the misses is workin' tonight...hmmm...I really should get her something for christmas...
:-X

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Felipe Maia
Member #6,190
September 2005

Quote:

How did it go?

Terribly bad, just had 1 hour to work, which I did nothing but very boring work and tweaking my sprites a bit, and then had to go to the hospital because I'm sick, anyway, I'm gonna finish the game tomorrow or after tomorrow no matter what...
Tomorrow I've got a exam and then I'm free of college.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I still don't have much time to work on it :(

I hope to devote all of Thursday and a couple hours on friday morning before 10 (when the compo ends) and finish it up.

I have a fully polymorphatic Music engine, semi finished map/drawing engine, tile set engine, and a particle engine. This is my first fully c++ (game) project using polymorphism that I've done on my own. :)

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I'm trying to get caught back up but right now it seems like I may miss the deadline.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Yay! I finally finished the basics of all the gameplay. All that's necessary for a decent game is some sound effects. I might add one more two more gameplay ideas, but at least I don't have to.

Goodbytes
Member #448
June 2000

Still working on content. The game will definitely be done and playable, but as for how much stuff will be in it, and how polished it will look . . . :-X

I'm fairly pleased with the music that I wrote for it, though. It's nothing groundbreaking, but at least it's not eardrum breaking! :)

--
~Goodbytes

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Quote:

I'm fairly pleased with the music that I wrote for it, though. It's nothing groundbreaking, but at least it's not eardrum breaking!

I wasn't able to find any good music for my game :( nor can I make any
Oh well.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

I'm fairly pleased with the music that I wrote for it, though. It's nothing groundbreaking, but at least it's not eardrum breaking!

1) I don't have anything to write music (use to have Cakewalk)
2) I wouldn't have time to write anything
3) My music is pretty weak anyway

So I'll just be ripping some music off from somewhere. Hate to do it since everything else is 100% me, but I've got to start cutting corners. On a different note, a few good pieces of the puzzle that is my game fell into place and made me quite happy. I'm also happy that I still have 2-3 hours to work tonight and two days left, enough to get some content in there! Yay! Just gotta keep at it...

------------

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

I wasn't able to find any good music for my game

Mine plays without music. But that is inkeeping with its style.

EDIT: on the source length discussion as before, a quick line count using wc as suggested by ML in the Programming Questions thread about that sort of thing reveals that I have just 3003 lines and 8339 "words". And I've adopted a very space inefficient coding scheme whereby each little running segment of game (e.g. title screen, level introduction, etc) is a complete class of its own.

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

Quote:

I've adopted a very space inefficient coding scheme whereby each little running segment of game (e.g. title screen, level introduction, etc) is a complete class of its own.

same here.

Mine does have some music written by someone I know, I had to kill the quality, but it sorta fits in with the theme.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

I've adopted a very space inefficient coding scheme whereby each little running segment of game (e.g. title screen, level introduction, etc) is a complete class of its own.

Mine started off as an attempt to "smart design", creating classes that inherited properly and the framework would be easily expandable. However, as time went by, it became more and more mushy and I'm almost to the point of doing your method above. Heck, I've got one class called ENEMY that houses both the bad guys and the good guys (NPC). This would've been avoided had I made some class diagrams, but meh.

I've also spent a lot of time on sprite-editing and tile drawing. My main sprite has 24 frames that it could be on. Since I didn't want to spend that much time to make 24 more frames for a new bad guy, I just inverted the colors and called him a meanie. It turned out surprisingly well, minus the sky-blue pants. ;D

If I were to take a stab at a percentage point, I'd say I'm 60% done with the game, even though all you can do now is run around and try to avoid the other meanies (that are either hunting you or just running around randomly). It's kind of like a game of tag, but hopefully this last 40% will build this into a decent game.

------------

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

There is no way I'm finishing mine :(. I spent all day either doing experiments in the Physics lab or chasing university officials throughout the complex. I managed to resolve the issue with the test, but not exactly to my liking - the professor (who is a total jackass, as it turns out) agreed to give me an oral exam on Friday. I usually do good on oral exams, but I will have only one day to prepare for it (I've already forgotten some of the stuff I learned for Saturday, and the knowledge and skills you need for an oral exam are a bit different), so it will be stealing from my CH time.

Another bad thing - I'm having that exam on Friday, 16:00. That's 15:00 GMT, so I'll have an hour to get back home and get things running. I'll set everything to go off automatic on 16:00 GMT, but I still want to be there to supervise in case anything goes wrong.

I'll go finish the CH site stuff no so that it'll be ready for Friday. My sincere apologies to my partner in the Hack... I'll try as hard as I can, but I don't see how I could possibly make it :\.

The submission handling will be changed a bit, so that you will be able to attach a note to your gift (only your partner will be able to see it), and select which of the descriptions your entry fulfills. Re-submission will be required for those who already submitted, I hope you're okay with that.

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

oral exam on Friday

Uh oh, that sounds dirty!

Quote:

The submission handling will be changed a bit, so that you will be able to attach a note to your gift (only your partner will be able to see it), and select which of the descriptions your entry fulfills.

That is a good idea.

Well, do what you can Jakub. I don't think anybody's going to be dissappointed with what you have done. Plus, the main fun of the event comes from making the games, at least, I think. ;)

------------

Felipe Maia
Member #6,190
September 2005

Don't worry about the game jakub, just like Steven said, we're here to have fun making the game, and not to be pissed off because we didn't get our gift, if it's me, I won't even care at all, I'll have all the other games to play :). Today and tomorrow will all be devoted to the game and a litle of after tomorrow also. screams to itself I WILL FINISH THIS GAME /screams to itself. You have done a very good job Jakub, thank you.

EDIT: I have yet to make: AI, map loading (mappy), frame animation, particles and effects.

Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

Finally, I've managed to finish my game. :) There is completely no sound (although lack of it doesn't take too much from the game) and it really needs some more maps, but when it comes to coding everything is on place (of course there is still some room for polish and improvements). :)

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

I have just gotten my game to a playable state, I will at least have something. Though, hopefully, I can make it ALOT better by the time it is delivered.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

It's official I have to drop from Christmas Hack 05:(. My Win98SE box HDD is currently at PC Gurus where they are going to copy my old HDD to a new bigger and formated HDD, but I won't receive it until the 24 at 9am. I must regrettibly back out at the last minute due to losing all my data that was only on the HDD. I was in the middle of copying it to a disk to put on my WinXP laptop when the 98SE box crashed and didn't work right anymore. Sorry :(.

Felipe Maia
Member #6,190
September 2005

Dont worry Death Gauge, nothing you can do about it.

Everything that I try to do to my just seems not to work, things are just going bad, Mappy currently is not what I can use for my game :(

EDIT: I ended up using Mappy anyway, map loading is kind of done.

zer0
Member #6,501
October 2005

Ahhh... Finally, finished three levels, 2 bosses, a bunch of enemies, challenging level design. I'm very pleased with my final product, and am looking forward to comments ;D. Not trying to gloat; I've had the last 3 days off, allowing complete devotion of my time to working on my entry, and I found time to setup my girlfriends gift with wireless and a bunch of software like limewire, openoffice, and a wireless adapter (laptop)

On another note, I'm saddened to hear many of the problems you guys are having. Sounds like a lot of you aren't havning much fun with your game, which was the whole point.

Heres a screeny:
[edit]twoops

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

The new system for submitting games is in place, together with the notes and everything.

I would like to kindly ask everyone who already submitted their games (AFAIK, that's Thomas Harte and Craig Niles) to re-submit their entries. Sorry for the inconvenience.

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

I would like to kindly ask everyone who already submitted their games (AFAIK, that's Thomas Harte and Craig Niles) to re-submit their entries.

That's okay - I have further tweaked mine a little anyway. I'll rebuild and resubmit ASAP.

Quote:

Heres a screeny:

Oi! There is meant to be another 24.5 hours of secrecy!

zer0
Member #6,501
October 2005

Quote:

Oi! There is meant to be another 24.5 hours of secrecy!

gasp! I'll fix that.

And ok, I'll re-submit

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

So finally I school ended. I got back from a pub and I'm going to draw enemies, actually only one enemy, code their scripts, make a menu, add sounds, add levels test it and package it. Note this game will be partialy made slightly drunken ;D but don't worry it'll be ok.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

Note this game will be partialy made slightly drunken ;D but don't worry it'll be ok.

I for one hail you for steering a successful course between being a nerd and an alcoholic - apparently avoiding both pitfalls!

Quote:

And ok, I'll re-submit

I've just done the same thing. Alas with my tweaks, I'm now at 1,072,137 bytes for binary + source files - although that total does include my data three times over (once for source, once embedded into an OS X bundle, once loose for Windows users) so I still could have made 1,000,000 for everything if I'd wanted. I've also written a longer than intended and probably boring text on the things I tried before ending up at what I have. I really really really really think I'm finished now. It's stupid really - this could easily have been a SpeedHack entry with more compressed work and less sitting around tweaking for days afterwards!

Quote:

gasp! I'll fix that.

Well, obviously I'm not an authority or anything. Yours does look significantly more complicated and varied than mine, especially in art terms. I do have some neat screenshots of my thing lined up for tomorrow though!

Is there anybody who is not planning on marking theirs available for the public or else releasing independently later?

Go to: