Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » CRT VS LCD/TFT/whatever

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
CRT VS LCD/TFT/whatever
Anonymous
Member #3,724
July 2003

Ever since I saw a "flat" screen the first time, I thought they were crappy. To this date, I haven't seen one with acceptable colors and picture quality.

Yet basically all new monitors are flat. My Samsung SyncMaster 957p (19" CRT) is starting to make annoying noices (I HATE it when that happens!), and who knows how long it will last?

I don't wanna switch to LCD/TFT/whatever. They ruin the colors. :'(

What am I supposed to do? When will the flat monitors have evolved enough to be possible to use without throwing up?

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

the x-black flat screen of new sony vaio laptops have nice colors. imho.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

Quote:

I don't wanna switch to LCD/TFT/whatever. They ruin the colors.

Something like this should be good enough already. It costs approprietly of course.. Without it, I often ruin colors in my photos when I retouch them on a notebook. :(

--
"Go to the NW of Stonemarket Plaza to the Blue Glyph Keeper Library door and enter."
- Lunabean's Thief Deadly Shadows Walkthrough, day eight

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Just buy another CRT monitor! By the time that CRT monitor fails flat screen monitors will have evolved enough for you to buy one good enough without throwing all your money away.

CRT monitors are really cheap now days as well!

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

BestBuy had a $11 CRT just the other day! 16". :P

Please note that there is a lot of confusion when you say "flat screen", because there are flat screen CRTs, and then there's LCDs and Plasma screens. Flat screen CRTs are CRTs with a flat screen instead of a curved one.

I personally don't see any problem with LCDs. Maybe you're just looking at a bunch of really cruddy ones? Then again my current CRT is...well...let's just say I get automatic FSAA on all games with it.
What I detest most about LCDs are dead and lit pixels. YARG. You have to buy them instore and test them other wise you're probably out $200+ dollars. >:(

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I had to buy my LCD, then return it, then buy it again due to dead pixels.

I notice the color differences between LCD and CRT, but it's worth it. I get more desk space, an aesthetically pleasing display, lower power consumption and a clearer, brighter picture.

LCD technology has advanced considerably. I really like my LCD.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Anonymous
Member #3,724
July 2003

Quote:

Please note that there is a lot of confusion when you say "flat screen", because there are flat screen CRTs, and then there's LCDs and Plasma screens. Flat screen CRTs are CRTs with a flat screen instead of a curved one.

That's what I said before, but I got crap for it.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Unless you pay a semi-decent amount, you're probably going to get worse color-quality and contrast with a LCD. Then again, if money doesn't matter...

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

I'm quite sure that for the same price a CRT beats any LCD when comparing picture quality.

Of course when desk space or electricity usage is compared there is a whole different story :)

I personally will use my 6y old Sun non flat 19" CRT monitor for as long as I get a bigger one or it goes "kaboom". Its picture quality is way beyond the less than year old and rather expensive 17" LCD I have at work.

[edit]

miran below said:

Course is spelled with an s, usage is spelled without the e and there's no apostrophe in its.

damn, I did it yet again :-/ Thanks for reminding though, perhaps one day I remember these things. Keep them coming :)
Also I found out that desk space are two words, not one.

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Course is spelled with an s, usage is spelled without the e and there's no apostrophe in its.

On topic: Same situation with monitors. I have an old 19 inch CRT at home and a new 17 inch LCD at work. In terms of picture quality the LCD is no match for the CRT.

--
sig used to be here

Anonymous
Member #3,724
July 2003

I tend to go as far as calling non-CRT computers "fake" computers. What's the point in spending hours finding perfect colors to use on Web stuff on my wonderful display when it'll look like crap on the random lamer's screen?

Same goes for games.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Kimmo Alm said:

I tend to go as far as calling non-CRT computers "fake" computers. What's the point in spending hours finding perfect colors to use on Web stuff on my wonderful display when it'll look like crap on the random lamer's screen?

Same goes for games.

Which once again shows how grown up you are... ::)

There are two benefits to using a LCD/TFT over a CRT:

• Desk space.

• Eyestrain.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Quote:

Eyestrain.

It might not be so, at least not for everyone and with all monitors.

The LCD I have at work tires my eyes more than the CRT at home although the latter is about 5.5y older. At work even staring it for only 1.5h* can give me a headache. On the other hand I can stare my old CRT for hours without any problems.

*)Yes, I know I should make pauses every now and then but when I'm on the roll I really don't want to stop coding.

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Quote:

I tend to go as far as calling non-CRT computers "fake" computers.

Instead of studying how to spam people you should look into the difference between a monitor and a computer. ;) And on topic, why don't you just buy another CRT monitor?

Quote:

At work even staring it for only 1.5h* can give me a headache.

This happened when you switched to the LCD monitor? You should also check that you have good lightning in the room, a correct position to work in, no draft around your head and not to much surrounding sounds.

I've got a lot of experience with headache so I'm just trying to help you out. :) (It's not fun to have.)

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Quote:

This happened when you switched to the LCD monitor?

well yes because its only the LCD at work that causes it. I haven't tried other LCD's.

The lighting should be good, there is no draft, position is certainly better than at home and all the surrounding noises are overpowered by my headsets, just like at home :)
Currently I have solved the problem by tuning the brightness and contrast quite low and sitting as far away as possible. After that I'm getting less troubles than I used to.

Perhaps my eyes are too used to CRTs. I believe BAF had a similar situation, he is used with very low refresh rates (60Hz IIRC) if I'm not confusing him with someone else.

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Quote:

Perhaps my eyes are too used to CRTs. I believe BAF had a similar situation, he is used with very low refresh rates (60Hz IIRC) if I'm not confusing him with someone else.

It's strange if you can get used to such low refresh rates. I've always been under the impression that any refresh rate below 75 Hertz was bad for your health (and could cause epileptic attacks).

Anyway, good that you've found a way to endure for a longer time period without headaches. Perhaps taking those short breaks would be good for you? :)

Carrus85
Member #2,633
August 2002

Don't forget portability of a LCD... LCD monitors are much lighter and easier to haul around if you are a lan partying fiend...

Anonymous
Member #3,724
July 2003

Quote:

Instead of studying how to spam people you should look into the difference between a monitor and a computer.

Quote:

And on topic, why don't you just buy another CRT monitor?

Because I'm not made out of money, and I have no plans to buy a new monitor in any foreseeable future.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Well if you can't buy a monitor I suggest you take advantage of the hoards of LCD happy people. They throw away perfectly good CRTs all the time. This one time someone was giving away some 21 inchers. Too bad I wasn't there :(

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Because I'm not made out of money, and I have no plans to buy a new monitor in any foreseeable future.

Then why start this thread? If you cant afford a CRT, you most certianly can't afford an LCD.

I LOVE my LCD. its terrific. I also like my 21" CRT, but I find the whine and the evil refresh gives me headaches. Headaches I don't get when using my LCD.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Kimmo first said:

Yet basically all new monitors are flat. My Samsung SyncMaster 957p (19" CRT) is starting to make annoying noices (I HATE it when that happens!), and who knows how long it will last?

I don't wanna switch to LCD/TFT/whatever. They ruin the colors. :'(

What am I supposed to do? When will the flat monitors have evolved enough to be possible to use without throwing up?

Kimmo later said:

What's this thread about?

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

He's probably waiting for someone to say "You know what? I have an extra 21" top-end LCD laying around, I'll ship it round the world to swden to you free of charge."

Not gonna happen. :)

You don't deserve my sig.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

jhuuskon said:

I'll ship it round the world to swden to you free of charge.

allegro.cc said:

jhuuskon:

So why don't you ship yours?

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Anonymous
Member #3,724
July 2003

Eh? Are you actually serious about saying that I can't make a thread discussing CRT VS TFT/LCD without buying one? You make no fucking sense.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Well then that makes your question a lot easier to answer.

You said:

What am I supposed to do?

Use the monitor you currently own.

A decent LCD monitor has color accuracy that is good enough for the average viewer, anyway. If you're looking for reviews, go here.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Go to: